where to fish for barbel

Status
Not open for further replies.

twig

i live in bramely and i know that there are no barbel here so i would like to know where the nearest place to fish for barbel is.
thanx

wetlines
danny

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Twig,

The nearest place or the one where you should stand a good chance of catching one??

The Nearest is the Wharfe at Collingham which is a day ticket water however if you go a bit further out to Boston Spa there are some cracking fish in the Wharfe there.
A little bit further down the Boston Spa to Tadcaster Road there is a place called 'Newton Khyme'. If you go there you will almost certainly find them.

Both Boston Spa and Newton Khyme day tickets can be bought from the tackle shop in Boston Spa. Collingham tickets are I think from the paper shop in Colllingham.

- Dave

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave does the tackle shop open early in a morning at Boston Spa, its something i'm going to have a go at this coming season [barbel fishing] and do you have a bit more detail of swims etc. or where you can park and access to the river.

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi TeePee,

They have an early opening time in the summer of (I think) 6.00am but its best to give them a ring to check:
LOWER WHARFE ANGLING CENTRE, 236 High Street, Boston Spa, Wetherby. LS23 6AD
Tel: 01937 844260.

The best swims are leaving the tackle shop head to the bridge and you can drive down on the right side to park up.
The wier and bridge swims produces well and if you go further downstream towards the wooded areas there are some cracking pegs that just cry out "Barbel"

The Newton Khyme favourites can be found driving away from the tackle shop towards Tadcaster whre you will eventually come across a left turn into a lane which leads down to the river.
Follow this track to the end and park up there.
When you walk down to the river you have to then walk down stream. Here there are several bends with plenty of shallow gravel beds on the nearside and bushes over hanging on the far side.
The favoured methods are to fish stick float or even a chubby waggler across to the far side where the water is deeper. Hold back and feed well and you should pick a barbel up.
Further downstream the water deepens and this is ideal for legering. There have been a few larger barbel caught from here especially towards the tail end of the faster stretches as the water slows and deepens.

I hope to be taking Trev there in the new season and hopefully we'll manage to put one on his line

Another favoured spot but one that is quite a walk is at Tadcaster itself. Park up in the lorry park, day tickets from the paper shop, and walk down the left bank past the stiles.
Ideally you need to travel light and if you were to keep walking down under the A64 and through the next two fields you will see the river bending off to the left with a few willows opposite and a weedy glide after. Here is generally where you will find a few barbel hanging out

Tight lines, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
Not 'Hope too'

WILL LOL,

I'll last that long!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave, thanks for info printed off,the long walks off the menu but shall give the others a try, let me know if you arrange anything with Trev and i'll try and make it if you think there's enough swims.

p.s. once again thanks thats why you're a Mod and i'm just a Rocker.

thumbsup.gif

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.