Where is it all heading?

Simon90

I have ALWAYS been of the opinion that rod licences should be issued only to people who have past a written test and an interview. I understand this happens in Germany. The licence would have their photograph on, and a centralised system would ensure that the licence could be taken away if transgressions have been proved. Like driving licences.

Then, assuming a fishery owner checks that visitors have a rod licence, he has some sort of insurance that their behaviour will be reasonable and that fish will be looked after.

Of course the licence would cost more than it does at the moment, but the harder it is to get a licence for anything the more people appreciate it when they have one.

I like that idea as well. But I would worry about it putting people off trying fishing for the first time if there were to many barriers to making your first cast?

It's not the fishing part that irks me, everybody has to start somewhere. Its the rubbish that a small number of people leave everywhere and the anti social behavior exhibited by a few others, unfortunately that's an issue with society that effects fishing as well.
As an earlier post pointed out, sometimes experienced anglers leave rubbish on the bank. So knowing how to fish isn't going to stop that problem.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I know you can't stop all anti-social behaviour on banks, but that's not a reason for not trying to do something.

If experienced anglers have left rubbish on banks I would expect someone who knows them to say something. That may be just the push someone needs to change their habits.

rudd

Site Supporter
Its behaviour like this that gives the rest of us a bad name with the Anti's and to be honest some of the origins of this Laddish behaviour can be laid at the doors of some of the TV shows sponsored by a famous Karping Kompany...
Kuru or Gorda?

rudd

Site Supporter
It’s a bit of a cliche about Carp Anglers having watched certain things and turning up on commercials, but round here especially on one water renowned as the ‘worst fishery’ you actually do get them casting a 4oz lead into your margin swim. I might bleat occasionally about it but I still fish there.
Did you weight it? ?

rudd

Site Supporter
I can't summarise every post on this matter but am going to attempt to tap into some themes i have seen in the last couple of weeks. Clearly, as predicted and as not surprising, the boom in people wanting to get out fishing again is present and also and equally not surprisingly there a good few looking to try it for the first time.

I have got to say of course that measures taken to protect people in these times when it comes to fishing aren't ideal but a necessity of course, but i see many contradictions under the guise of this, and also continued issues present before covid, just amplified during it.
For a sport (is it/isn't it, not looking to spark that debate) that regularly calls on it numbers as a voice and relies on its numbers growing to enhance that voice, i have read numerous posts in the last couple of weeks and the sport in danger as coming across as a far from a welcoming pastime and full of closed shop mentalities.

Not looking to antagonise anyone, but i wish to say what i think. Numpties is a word when applied to would be/new anglers i cannot stand, the chaps post the other day whose fishery was shut because of 'litter' was actually shut because the owner chose to affect everyone with his choice of action- and the theme in the thread was that there were a good few who felt he could have tackled the culprits instead of shutting it.

Some simply wrong things go on-true enough and bailiffs put up with alot of........., some things can be debated as either way and some things are brought about purely by over eager bailiffs/owners, who once they put the hat on get on a power trip and create situations themselves.

A members only fishery, is a members only fishery true, but, will, when the current members move on, any newbie who came for that look around and basically got told to do one and referred to this sign, that sign, this rule or that rule, be interested in joining? Too often they are blanketed under the must be a wrong un tag and given a cold welcome. I'm not saying that all-comers should be welcomed with open arms and given a guided tour, but, again, we are coming across at times in these few weeks as what golf clubs used to be back in the elitist days.

To touch on the 'read the sign/rules advice', i know of several fisheries that have a sign up inferring that fishing is private and members only, but then using that just as deterrent then sell day tickets on the bank to faces that fit.

Should anyone think i am suggesting owners/bailiffs get lax and then quote the fish losses, bad behaviour, assaults etc etc as reasoning for 'measures' im not , as i say it goes on i know, i am just saying that, at times, in-consistency, over zealous approaches and alienation of would be newbies, isn't going to help the future of the sport or how it is viewed by some.

I will leave you with a real situation, that does make me bias i am afraid and left me with little sympathy for what was being advised. Chatting to a mate the other night who has been a member of a fishery that does membership and day tickets, for a good many years, he said to me words to the effect of 'you haven't seen anything like it lately, fish handling terrible, poor standards of angling, right mess'. I had a membership at this venue for around 4 years, then when i moved and couldn't get down regular to justify the cost, i did day ticket for a while, until i was asked to pack up early one late afternoon as the bailiff (a newish bailiff that evening among an established team of them) wished to leave for the evening, but made a point of saying to my two mates in the next pegs they were ok to fish on, 'i know you 2'.- and that was that as they say, no rules to suggest members got any longer times to fish, just because he fancied doing it and could. A few weeks later, mate said to me that the other bailiffs had said they wanted as many reliable people on the bank as long as possible to just be a presence at least. If my ability and good many years of experience wasn't good enough for this bailiff, he must be in his element now with what my mate advised me is going on.

Welcome, educate, and thrive, still with the eyes open of course, has to be a better way forwards surely? I'm not sure i would like to be a new angler looking to start out in today's climate.
I have tried to help and advise The NUMPTIES for several weeks to no avail.
A few Father sons have listened and taken advice as have a fair few teenagers.
The 20+ to late 30s all seem to be experts, ?
At being rude, casting into trees, rubbish/fag end dropping, moving swims, swearing, not having licences/tickets/nets/mats/disgordger.

Whilst I respect your opinion my own take as baliffing a day ticket open to the public venue.
Its not just anglers either, picnikers, ramblers, cyclists and dog walkers all now have the right to trespass or park on private land, leave litter or even human excrement next to a peg - as we found last night.
And I live in a low population, low crime, respectable area!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Did you weight it? ?

No.

I don’t like to recount the story as I’d likely fall into what this thread was about in the first place, but it ended with a situation as described, casting into my margin after I caught a few fish and they didn't. I had set up next to a group of lads already fishing, my fault really as I could have chose another peg on the lake.

The lack of rules there on one hand make it a laidback place for all kinds of anglers, but also gets it a bit of a reputation as an anything goes water, so you do get some people complaining about the place. If I didn’t like it there I wouldn’t fish it. I do, however, see all sorts there compared to other day ticket waters just down the road, including Bream with size 2 'mouth jewellery', litter, excrement and the things you describe.

I would have offered some advice, especially if they were younger, but generally prefer to leave people to their own devices.

The problem comes when people take bad experiences and then turn into a rant against a 'generalised' 'type' of people/angler.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I like to fish our club waters where we at least have a chance of maintaining good conduct. I know all the committee members and am ex committee myself, If anyone is breaking rules I usually approach them and show my licence and ask to see theirs. Any trouble and my phone is out and a picture taken and sent to the secretary.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Agree Gozzer. It would help alot, some education and a test. Suggested this in another thread recently.
Reading alot before i posted my thoughts in the OP and something i always imagine is anglers on the bank getting wound up and having their day spoiled, by antics that i have never disagreed are annoying antics sometimes, whilst the person who was happy to enough to take as many fivers as possible, sits in their armchair counting them up. Yet the annoyance gets leveled at the people on the bank causing the annoyance.

When the sort of thread appears where something has gone on at a fishery with people let onto/into it, i do struggle sometimes to have sympathy for those that let them on in the first place in pursuit of another fiver. To say that these people are busy enough and without having to check licenses too is a little flawed really, it takes seconds and the license is usually close to where the fiver comes from, if the have one, and if they don't then off they go.

Earn the license first, things improve and then everyone is happy surely.

solwood

Site Supporter
Good Bailiffs are a combination of educators and protectors

I have been bailiffing for a year now,

Caught a young member with a can of corn on the bank, we do not allow cans backside. He had broken his rod on the way to the fishery so I talked to him about not having tins and bringing the corn in a sealable bag, taking can hone as well as suitable rod replacement

Next two, people jigging, talking to them asked where they got barbies jigheads, they were honest and said they flattened barbs, again against rules, they had done a good job so only asked then to stop fishing.

3rd two lads spinning, I said I was impressed they had put on garbled trebles, they were honest and said they had flattened them.

They had done a superb job, I asked if they had any size 2/4/6 carp hooks (we had talked about our carp waters). We fashioned barbless single lures together

Key for all of these they were not trying it on, all reported to head bailiff and none had membership removed

Before I joined I met the now late Pete the bailiff for the stretch I now bailiff. I was intending to fish and had my gear with me. He was great explained, club members only and explained where to go for day tickets. I hope I can continue in his honour

Now there are some real chances, you do get a sense, and growing up on an estate with neighbours who appeared on police 5 gives you a sense of a wrong un!!

Am I in it for the power, no way, I want to educate, make sure people are abiding by the rules, and the water is safe from poachers.