Where is it all heading?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that drives me nuts, there's not a single place I fish where more than a couple oz weight and 8lb line on an Avon rod is needed for any carp. To turn up with big carp gear on such waters would be like me fishing a 3ft deep 1 acre commercial with a 15ft float rod or a distance feeder rod in that it's just completely unnecessary lol

It's not very often I get the chance to help other anglers but when I do it is really satisfying. It's generally just a nice feeling helping people.

Simon90

A lot of people new to fishing could use a helping hand to get them on track.
But littering, making lots of noise and disturbing others has nothing to do with it. That's just a lack of basic manners.
As much as fishing needs more people, it doesn't need every Chav in the country taking it up.

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
My local club is members only, but Day Tickets are available if visitors are in the company of a member. Seems to work very well when members are responsible for their guests.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Some of those 16-20 year old "chavs" today as they grow up may mature into great adults and would have decided that they actually like fishing and evolved or after having a taster want to come back to it and do it properly.
Their leaving of rubbish and the noise is a society issue and you will see the same everywhere,it is our responsibility to educate where possible and by whatever legitimate means we can use.

It's threads like this that really do make me laugh as we lament new people not coming into the sport in the numbers we would like and then in our eyes as soon as they do not conform,have all the gear deemed they must have ,do not have the "angling" social graces or the "correct" tackle they are chav's and ignorant.
I would rather see someone rock up with "fit for purpose" tackle and at least try to have a go then not spend their money on the sport and stay at home.
Within reason you make do with what you have and who is going to stop a young lad from fishing with his mates just because he has carp tackle and them taking him is the only opportunity he has to go?

Take part on a few forums but for negativity and the always moaning about something angling across all the forums seems to be the worst by far.

This morning I am fishing a club water that has a small stock of very big Bream & Tench and is stuffed with Roach - the Bream & tench are my target species but wonder if I will get some disapproving looks because I am overgunned for catching the Pike baits I will have to wade through? :unsure:

Grimberian

And some of those families making 'too much noise' and lacking basic manners also grow up to be great anglers.

If it's someones first time at a lake and they may or may not have looked up how to set things up on YouTube, who cares if they rattle around a bit on the bank trying to get sorted and make too much noise when they catch their first fish. Maybe they did watch those videos, got to the bank and totally forgot everything they had just learnt in the moment.

And if it's a family with young 'uns who are trying to get out for some fresh air, learn a new skill and get excited by that and one of the kids shouts a bit, who cares?
Feed off their excitement, remember how it used to be when you first started catching fish and lend a hand if needs be.

Think about it from their point of view too. They turn up for a day out and are faced on the bank by a bunch of silent stone faced chaps so focused on what they are doing that anything else is met with raised eyebrows and a roll of the eyes. Not always the easiest thing to try and ask for help in that situation.

Don't judge people by how they first appear on the bank, it may be their first time, they may not know the etiquette, but they will soon learn. That's how we all got here, right?

And yes, littering is totally unacceptable, but I don't think has anything to do with the people who turn up to go fishing, that's society.

Grimberian

I get everyone is new once but in this day and age with the Internet there's no excuse to go fishing completely under prepared as the info you need is all at your finger tips. You can tell a serious novice from one going fishing just for the sake of it as they turn up with the attitude and gear that suggests they have a semblance of an idea what to do. Such anglers I always welcome and am happy to help.

Perhaps you need to have a word with Argos then, or any non-tackle shop and ask them to start vetting the people buying equipment there to make sure it is adequate and appropriate for their intended use. The anglers with some semblance of an idea need your help a lot less than the people who have watched Gone Fishing and fancy chucking a line in the water.
Why should one person with a tackle-shop bought rod and some idea and one person with an Argos bought rod and the instructions on the back in cardboard be taught differently? Both could turn out to be England's greatest match angler.
We all recognise the phrase 'All the gear and no idea', right?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Those people are society... it should be common sense not to leave litter about the place... and most fisheries have anti litter signage so why ignore it...? If they ignore even that basic rule what other rules will they not bother with obeying...barbed hooks? No net? No mat? Booze? Drugs? Safety rigs? Letting kids run about?

Grimberian

Those people are society... it should be common sense not to leave litter about the place... and most fisheries have anti litter signage so why ignore it...? If they ignore even that basic rule what other rules will they not bother with obeying...barbed hooks? No net? No mat? Booze? Drugs? Safety rigs? Letting kids run about?

And that's just the new people who come fishing with the wrong gear is it?
Sorry bud, but there are 'proper' anglers out there who litter too, I've seen it and picked it up for them, I am not sure it's right to tar only newbies who are destined for a life of hard drug use because they dropped some litter with that brush :)

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I do think blatantly deliberate littering should see an instant ban. It’s easy enough to leave one thing behind if it falls out of a bag or something but when people leave tons you just know it’s pure laziness. If you managed to bring it with you then you can manage to take it away again. Especially seeing as it’ll be lighter and more compact than when you arrived seeing as you’ve used it!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Private fishery's can run how they want, if they think they can tick over on limited trusted numbers that's their prerogative, better than getting taken to court for having signs up saying no eastern Europeans.
If it's a club they can also sell day tickets to whomever they wish.
so much poaching going on nowadays and not just from eastern Europeans, carp and Tench are targeting by people with alliances with other ponds, If I had a fishery I would be inclined to do the same
I love it when I see new anglers having a go.Its especially nice seeing younger anglers being taught. I however dont like people leaving loads of litter ,making loud noises or generally messing other peoples enjoyment up. The ones who respect others and the fishery are very welcome in my eyes and I have and will help anyone who is respectful.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I fished a lake in Cornwall a few years ago on holiday and was catching steady away.
There was a family in the next swim who had the beginner type kits that you see trotted out at seasides, thick mono line, rods that would be suitable for light spinning work or pier work, hooks that could double up as anchors for a trawler, and floats resembling the Perch bobbers of the 60's and 70's dotted down with a mix of shot from a dispenser the smallest of which could have felled a small Deer at 40 paces, you get the idea :D

Anyway, when I kept landing fish all I could hear was "ees gorra nufa one"; they weren't catching.
So I put my stuff down, went over and asked them if they needed a hand at all with their gear. The older two (father & grandfather I presume) said no, they'll manage, the younger lad asked if I'd have a look and tell him what he was doing wrong.

It wasn't for me to rubbish their gear even though it left a lot to be desired, instead I suggested a few 'improvements', went away came back with a spool of line, made him a leader up of thinner line, size 16 hook, set it up with a small maggot feeder as they had maggots for bait, and showed him how to use it and to watch the tip for bites. I'd only got back to my box when I heard him shouting he'd got one :)

The father and grandfather helped him land it, I called over to praise him and see if they were alright unhooking it - a skimmer, which they were. Watched as he posed for the family album, and got on with what I was doing.
Shortly after he had another, and another and soon after the father came over to me and asked "I don't know what you did to ar kids rod but any chance...".
I set him up the same, donated some more line, hook and feeder to the cause, and off he went.

Soon after he was into a skimmer as well, and between them they had a few in the next hour or so that followed.
I packed up as it was time to head back and as I was leaving called over to say goodbye. All three in unison bade me farewell with thanks and offered my feeders back, to which I told them to keep them for next time ;)

It doesn't take much to take a few minutes out and offer help rather than moan about the newbies, if they don't want to accept your help fair enough, but if they do you could well make them anglers for life ;)

Dusty

I fished a lake in Cornwall a few years ago on holiday and was catching steady away.
There was a family in the next swim who had the beginner type kits that you see trotted out at seasides, thick mono line, rods that would be suitable for light spinning work or pier work, hooks that could double up as anchors for a trawler, and floats resembling the Perch bobbers of the 60's and 70's dotted down with a mix of shot from a dispenser the smallest of which could have felled a small Deer at 40 paces, you get the idea :D

Anyway, when I kept landing fish all I could hear was "ees gorra nufa one"; they weren't catching.
So I put my stuff down, went over and asked them if they needed a hand at all with their gear. The older two (father & grandfather I presume) said no, they'll manage, the younger lad asked if I'd have a look and tell him what he was doing wrong.

It wasn't for me to rubbish their gear even though it left a lot to be desired, instead I suggested a few 'improvements', went away came back with a spool of line, made him a leader up of thinner line, size 16 hook, set it up with a small maggot feeder as they had maggots for bait, and showed him how to use it and to watch the tip for bites. I'd only got back to my box when I heard him shouting he'd got one :)

The father and grandfather helped him land it, I called over to praise him and see if they were alright unhooking it - a skimmer, which they were. Watched as posed for the family album, and got on with what I was doing.
Shortly after he had another, and another and soon after the father came over to me and ask "I don't know what you did to ar kids rod but any chance...".
I set him up the same, donated some more line, hook and feeder to the cause, and off he went.

Soon after he was into a skimmer as well, and between them they had a few in the next hour or so that followed.
I packed up as it was time to head back and as I was leaving called over to say goodbye. All three in unison bade me farewell with thanks and offered my feeders back, to which I told them to keep them for next time ;)

It doesn't take much to take a few minutes out and offer help rather than moan about the newbies, if they don't want to accept your help fair enough, but if they do you could well make them anglers for life ;)

Ive often thought about doing the same but don’t want to be that guy that comes across as a know it all, you never know what sort of reception you will get.

If someone approached me and asked I would be more than happy to help but not sure if I’d be confident enough to approach someone who looks like they are struggling.

Fortunately in the last year or so helping my mate and his lad get into fishing has been good for me to concentrate on and I get messages most day’s asking for help or advice on things.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The worse that could happen is you get told to do one :D

But from experience if someone is watching you catch and they're not, most don't mind a friendly offer of advice, even if they chose not to accept it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Many years ago on a Maggotdrowning fish-in in deepest darkest South Wales there was a young lad fishing the opposite bank and he was struggling with casting, getting himself wound up, that sort of thing, so I wandered over and asked if he needed a hand.

It didn't take long to show him how to cast, settle his line and float, watch for bites and indications and how to feed and he was well chuffed; so was his mother, a right babe, a proper Welsh looker who was really pleased I'd come over to help, gawd if it wasn't for the fact that I was married and had twenty or so hairy arsed maggotdrowners watching on, I'd have been well in lol

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

The father and grandfather helped him land it, I called over to praise him and see if they were alright unhooking it - a skimmer, which they were. Watched as he posed for the family album, and got on with what I was doing.
Shortly after he had another, and another and soon after the father came over to me and asked "I don't know what you did to ar kids rod but any chance...".

Well done Dave totally agree.

Total

Site Supporter

^^Love reading recounts of scenarios like this and can recall many situations similar to the words you've posted above.:)

......It's also one of the 'daft' reasons I carry so many different types of feeders with me when out on the bank should a similar situation arise.....That and the fact my feeders have a 'loving' relationship with trees and shrubbery! :oops:;):D

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I would love to see the faces on some of you if you fished a public pond or lake in France, as opposed to the big carp fisheries most often run by Brits, for Brits. Although the French have a history of doing well in fishing competitions, the average angler in France still fishes for the pot, although there are more and more anglers are changing to no-kill, catch and release. The good ones tend to be very good.
Most villages/towns have a lake or pond open for fishing and run by the community. These tend to be stocked a couple of times a year with rainbow trout so the locals can catch a couple and take them home. The only other type of fishing commonly found is lure fishing for predators, who often share the same fate as the trout. You will often see Pike and Zander on the slab of a fishmongers. It's a shame as these lakes often contain good stocks of carp and silvers that no one fishes for.
Their style of fishing doesn't help. The rod will almost always be telescopic and 9-10 ft long. It will be a poker, with no action.
They will have a fixed spool reel with the spool half filled with bright yellow sea fishing line around 15bs. A float you could moor ships to and a size 8 long shanked barbed hook with a single grain of maize or sweetcorn decorating the tip. The float will be permanently set to about 18" regardless of depth of water, so that they can collapse the telescopic rod, wind all up tight and throw it in the back of the car, ready to use it next time. It is likely that the hook they have on, will last all season.
When they arrive, they will want to fish as close to the car park as possible and cast as far as they can (about 5 yards) toward the middle. If they are fishing more than one rod, they will walk along the bank and cast the other rods straight
out in front, so a single angler may be taking up 25-30 yards of bank with 3 rods.
At this point they seem to lose all interest in the rods, they wander off up the bank to the nearest picnic table where their friends are already set up, open another bottle of wine and talk, and talk.
Every now and then they might look up to see if a trout has pulled their rod off its rest, otherwise, when they have had enough, they just wind in, collapse the rod and throw it back in the car until next time.
Did I mention that they don't catch much? :giggle:
Meanwhile, I would be fishing as far away from them as possible, fishing a pole at 8M and catching carp between 5lb and 10lb on a regular basis, on sweetcorn on a size 16 hook and 0.16 hooklength. Occasionally someone might wander down and watch for a little while, but when they saw the tackle I was using they would just shake their heads and come out with the French equivalent of "That's no good, you won't catch anything like that":D

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I have ALWAYS been of the opinion that rod licences should be issued only to people who have past a written test and an interview. I understand this happens in Germany. The licence would have their photograph on, and a centralised system would ensure that the licence could be taken away if transgressions have been proved. Like driving licences.

Then, assuming a fishery owner checks that visitors have a rod licence, he has some sort of insurance that their behaviour will be reasonable and that fish will be looked after.

Of course the licence would cost more than it does at the moment, but the harder it is to get a licence for anything the more people appreciate it when they have one.

Grimberian

CBT aint stopping lunatic scooter kids hammering round the local estates causing mischief, and apparently they have done some basic training and got themselves a licence....