Where is it all heading?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I can't summarise every post on this matter but am going to attempt to tap into some themes i have seen in the last couple of weeks. Clearly, as predicted and as not surprising, the boom in people wanting to get out fishing again is present and also and equally not surprisingly there a good few looking to try it for the first time.

I have got to say of course that measures taken to protect people in these times when it comes to fishing aren't ideal but a necessity of course, but i see many contradictions under the guise of this, and also continued issues present before covid, just amplified during it.
For a sport (is it/isn't it, not looking to spark that debate) that regularly calls on it numbers as a voice and relies on its numbers growing to enhance that voice, i have read numerous posts in the last couple of weeks and the sport in danger as coming across as a far from a welcoming pastime and full of closed shop mentalities.

Not looking to antagonise anyone, but i wish to say what i think. Numpties is a word when applied to would be/new anglers i cannot stand, the chaps post the other day whose fishery was shut because of 'litter' was actually shut because the owner chose to affect everyone with his choice of action- and the theme in the thread was that there were a good few who felt he could have tackled the culprits instead of shutting it.

Some simply wrong things go on-true enough and bailiffs put up with alot of........., some things can be debated as either way and some things are brought about purely by over eager bailiffs/owners, who once they put the hat on get on a power trip and create situations themselves.

A members only fishery, is a members only fishery true, but, will, when the current members move on, any newbie who came for that look around and basically got told to do one and referred to this sign, that sign, this rule or that rule, be interested in joining? Too often they are blanketed under the must be a wrong un tag and given a cold welcome. I'm not saying that all-comers should be welcomed with open arms and given a guided tour, but, again, we are coming across at times in these few weeks as what golf clubs used to be back in the elitist days.

To touch on the 'read the sign/rules advice', i know of several fisheries that have a sign up inferring that fishing is private and members only, but then using that just as deterrent then sell day tickets on the bank to faces that fit.

Should anyone think i am suggesting owners/bailiffs get lax and then quote the fish losses, bad behaviour, assaults etc etc as reasoning for 'measures' im not , as i say it goes on i know, i am just saying that, at times, in-consistency, over zealous approaches and alienation of would be newbies, isn't going to help the future of the sport or how it is viewed by some.

I will leave you with a real situation, that does make me bias i am afraid and left me with little sympathy for what was being advised. Chatting to a mate the other night who has been a member of a fishery that does membership and day tickets, for a good many years, he said to me words to the effect of 'you haven't seen anything like it lately, fish handling terrible, poor standards of angling, right mess'. I had a membership at this venue for around 4 years, then when i moved and couldn't get down regular to justify the cost, i did day ticket for a while, until i was asked to pack up early one late afternoon as the bailiff (a newish bailiff that evening among an established team of them) wished to leave for the evening, but made a point of saying to my two mates in the next pegs they were ok to fish on, 'i know you 2'.- and that was that as they say, no rules to suggest members got any longer times to fish, just because he fancied doing it and could. A few weeks later, mate said to me that the other bailiffs had said they wanted as many reliable people on the bank as long as possible to just be a presence at least. If my ability and good many years of experience wasn't good enough for this bailiff, he must be in his element now with what my mate advised me is going on.

Welcome, educate, and thrive, still with the eyes open of course, has to be a better way forwards surely? I'm not sure i would like to be a new angler looking to start out in today's climate.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Private fishery's can run how they want, if they think they can tick over on limited trusted numbers that's their prerogative, better than getting taken to court for having signs up saying no eastern Europeans.
If it's a club they can also sell day tickets to whomever they wish.
so much poaching going on nowadays and not just from eastern Europeans, carp and Tench are targeting by people with alliances with other ponds, If I had a fishery I would be inclined to do the same

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A members only fishery, is a members only fishery true, but, will, when the current members move on, any newbie who came for that look around and basically got told to do one and referred to this sign, that sign, this rule or that rule, be interested in joining? Too often they are blanketed under the must be a wrong un tag and given a cold welcome. I'm not saying that all-comers should be welcomed with open arms and given a guided tour, but, again, we are coming across at times in these few weeks as what golf clubs used to be back in the elitist days.

To touch on the 'read the sign/rules advice', i know of several fisheries that have a sign up inferring that fishing is private and members only, but then using that just as deterrent then sell day tickets on the bank to faces that fit.

I fully understand what you mean by this. I bailiff a members only fishery and the signs are clear to see around both lakes. Potential new members are encouraged to walk round, can ask as many questions as they think fit, even chat to other members if they so wish and I don't immediatley class anyone as a 'wrong-un', but if it turns out that they are, then membership can be revoked. There are no day tickets on the banks.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The main issue at the moment is angling is getting a massive influx of new people of all ages, and lots of dads spending time on the banks with their children whereas not so long ago they'd have been left at home.

We need these people in our sport and the more young ones the better because without which angling will eventually become a minority sport as we old 'uns won't last forever.
The only issue is we need to share the knowledge we've acquired over the years with the newbies, they need to ask and we need to offer :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
We all started somewhere is the phrase that springs to mind. I was lucky enough to have a brilliant Junior Club run by two great (now sadly passed RIP) people who devoted all of their time to taking us to the full variety of locations with an emphasis on natural venues. People like that are rare and need celebrating because who else would devote their time to taking kids out in a minibus every weekend to go fishing.

Dusty

I can't summarise every post on this matter but am going to attempt to tap into some themes i have seen in the last couple of weeks. Clearly, as predicted and as not surprising, the boom in people wanting to get out fishing again is present and also and equally not surprisingly there a good few looking to try it for the first time.

I have got to say of course that measures taken to protect people in these times when it comes to fishing aren't ideal but a necessity of course, but i see many contradictions under the guise of this, and also continued issues present before covid, just amplified during it.
For a sport (is it/isn't it, not looking to spark that debate) that regularly calls on it numbers as a voice and relies on its numbers growing to enhance that voice, i have read numerous posts in the last couple of weeks and the sport in danger as coming across as a far from a welcoming pastime and full of closed shop mentalities.

Not looking to antagonise anyone, but i wish to say what i think. Numpties is a word when applied to would be/new anglers i cannot stand, the chaps post the other day whose fishery was shut because of 'litter' was actually shut because the owner chose to affect everyone with his choice of action- and the theme in the thread was that there were a good few who felt he could have tackled the culprits instead of shutting it.

Some simply wrong things go on-true enough and bailiffs put up with alot of........., some things can be debated as either way and some things are brought about purely by over eager bailiffs/owners, who once they put the hat on get on a power trip and create situations themselves.

Should anyone think i am suggesting owners/bailiffs get lax and then quote the fish losses, bad behaviour, assaults etc etc as reasoning for 'measures' im not , as i say it goes on i know, i am just saying that, at times, in-consistency, over zealous approaches and alienation of would be newbies, isn't going to help the future of the sport or how it is viewed by some.

I will leave you with a real situation, that does make me bias i am afraid and left me with little sympathy for what was being advised. Chatting to a mate the other night who has been a member of a fishery that does membership and day tickets, for a good many years, he said to me words to the effect of 'you haven't seen anything like it lately, fish handling terrible, poor standards of angling, right mess'. I had a membership at this venue for around 4 years, then when i moved and couldn't get down regular to justify the cost, i did day ticket for a while, until i was asked to pack up early one late afternoon as the bailiff (a newish bailiff that evening among an established team of them) wished to leave for the evening, but made a point of saying to my two mates in the next pegs they were ok to fish on, 'i know you 2'.- and that was that as they say, no rules to suggest members got any longer times to fish, just because he fancied doing it and could. A few weeks later, mate said to me that the other bailiffs had said they wanted as many reliable people on the bank as long as possible to just be a presence at least. If my ability and good many years of experience wasn't good enough for this bailiff, he must be in his element now with what my mate advised me is going on.

Welcome, educate, and thrive, still with the eyes open of course, has to be a better way forwards surely? I'm not sure i would like to be a new angler looking to start out in today's climate.

You know what mate I think I posted a week or so ago criticising the amount of numpties I’ve seen on the bank recently.

Looking back on it all of these so called numpties have been well behaved, respectful and looked to be enjoying themselves.

In hindsight my attitude/opinions towards these people could be much better. Whilst I would never deliberately be rude to anyone and will always help if asked perhaps my viewpoint needs to change and I need to realise that we all start somewhere.

Quite an eye opening post really. I would hate to be responsible for any angler feeling unwelcomed at a fishery.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
That's where i am at @Dave , and the trouble seems to me, how some of these places determine the 'whomever' they wish to accommodate, when it does seem that the minute that foot is placed through the gate, the music stops and the regular glares. All regulars/members/the crowd, were new once.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It doesn't help when the new angler rocks up with a rod in one hand and a box of beer in the other and leaves the detritus of his "Trip" on the bank... is that really the sort of person we should be welcoming??? and to be honest if they don't know how to behave on the bank then should they be there in the first place...?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Numbers on the bank this week seem a lot less than previous weeks alongside a big pick up in traffic so I would say lots of people have gone back to work and school. So banks in the week at least should only get quieter as time goes on with the weekends getting busier so is a double edged sword.

I'm all for the genuine newbies and the dads and lads as that's how we get new blood into fishing but what has been a bit annoying is people bringing the whole family and non fishing mates to basically just sit in the sun. They are just adding more risk to a place that doesn't need to pose any real risk as they aren't really doing anything they can't do in a park or even their garden so don't need to be there.

In terms of proper new anglers of whatever age and background they should be welcomed with open arms!

Keith Sparky

It doesn't help when the new angler rocks up with a rod in one hand and a box of beer in the other and leaves the detritus of his "Trip" on the bank... is that really the sort of person we should be welcoming??? and to be honest if they don't know how to behave on the bank then should they be there in the first place...?
Maybe I am getting less tolerant than I was but I was at the club lakes today which is members only no day tickets but open to anyone to join....anyway a group of 8 turn up for a bit of carp fishing....hammering in bivvy pegs...no social distancing and generally loud all day topped off by one of them shouting across the lake taking orders for the local chippy...to me they are treating fishing as a camping trip with the odd fish thrown in....one of the group after eating the chippy meal landed a really nice carp but they had nothing to unhook it with and no unhooking may..luckily the regular carpers gave a hand... maybe it's me but more and more behave like this and that's why we may appear sometimes to be unwelcoming

AlfieBass

It’s a knock on effect from Covid boredom. Some just took advantage to get outdoors. I could probably open a mini mart & tackle shop with the monofilament, terminal tackle plastic bottles and rubbish found strung out these past couple weeks on several day ticket lakes. It’s a sad indictment of today’s throw away society most of whom would rather buy another inner tube than try and fix a bike puncture.

Silver fan 82

My club water sells day tickets on some of its lakes to non members. I tend to avoid these particular lakes because of the type of angler that they can tend to attract. Plus they get too busy for my liking.
Id be happy to help anyone out if possible but you generally can tell a wrong un when you see one.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Its behaviour like this that gives the rest of us a bad name with the Anti's and to be honest some of the origins of this Laddish behaviour can be laid at the doors of some of the TV shows sponsored by a famous Karping Kompany...

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I am afraid I too am quick to pour scorn on these newbies. Last week my lad and I had a family opposite. All had in my knowledge bought a ticket to fish but the antics left me muttering. No unhooking skills, one landing net between them and no fishing etiquette. If I had been braver I may, or should have offered help.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I get everyone is new once but in this day and age with the Internet there's no excuse to go fishing completely under prepared as the info you need is all at your finger tips. You can tell a serious novice from one going fishing just for the sake of it as they turn up with the attitude and gear that suggests they have a semblance of an idea what to do. Such anglers I always welcome and am happy to help.

Silver fan 82

Its behaviour like this that gives the rest of us a bad name with the Anti's and to be honest some of the origins of this Laddish behaviour can be laid at the doors of some of the TV shows sponsored by a famous Karping Kompany...
I cant help but think that such companies may be partly to blame. I do think its a shame, its a shame that we are even having to discuss it really.

Silver fan 82

I get everyone is new once but in this day and age with the Internet there's no excuse to go fishing completely under prepared as the info you need is all at your finger tips. You can tell a serious novice from one going fishing just for the sake of it as they turn up with the attitude and gear that suggests they have a semblance of an idea what to do. Such anglers I always welcome and am happy to help.
I wish I had internet access when I first started out lol! Or do I? :unsure:

mattnewark

I certainly believe we should try and help the newbies. One of my best memories for a long time was helping a dad n lad set up properly as they were bite less, and first put in they caught a 2lb carp.

I was with my 9yr old lad that day and that gesture was well received.

Sounds daft, but I'd be more than happy to wear a polo shirt for example with the slogan "happy to help with your fishing" or something like that. If it helps newbies then great in my eyes. Too many are grumpy old sods and that needs to change, having said that, I don't come across many of the wrong-ins though.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I will help anyone while fishing but I don't like them leaving cans and bottles and building fires while chucking a rod out if I take a drink its put in bag to take home not left on bankside

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It’s a bit of a cliche about Carp Anglers having watched certain things and turning up on commercials, but round here especially on one water renowned as the ‘worst fishery’ you actually do get them casting a 4oz lead into your margin swim. I might bleat occasionally about it but I still fish there.