Where in West Yorkshire?

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Good evening all. Once again I am in pursuit of further knowledge. Following on from my 1st foray back into coarse I was hoping someone local could make a few recommendations as to fisheries in the West Yorkshire district? Commercials preferred, but anything worth the time and effort I will give a go. No pole, just old fashioned rod and line for me. I will wait till next season before heading on to the rivers for some trotting action. I really just need to hone my skills back on stillwaters and enjoy catching the odd fish but make it a bit of a challenge by trying new waters. Any advice as always greatly appreciated.
Stay safe all, more and more of us are heading into lockdown, let us just hope that fishing does not also head the same way.

Munchy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Whereabouts in West Yorkshire as it's quite a big place ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you just want a nice pond to fish, not a commercial there's one in East Keswick, a proper old school type pond.

You've also got Sunrise Lakes near Follifoot outside of Harrogate, Toms Pond at Otley behind the garden centre on the Otley to Pool road, several around York. A couple near Selby.
Poppleton, Pocklington, Elvington, Wheldrake, all have decent ponds to fish

Tbh we're quite spoilt in West Yorkshire

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Wow, Tom's pond. I used to fish that as a lad. It's changed quite a bit since then judging by google earth. It was probably a quarter of the size back then and it really was a pond. I fished it for free as I did potato picking for the the local farmers and helped out at the auction houses mucking out wagons etc.
I really must pay it a visit,
Cheers Dave (y)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
In fact there was only one pond! Looking at google earth the one on the left was the original pond and the second smaller island on the right hand side of said pond was dry land when I last fished it. Now there is another pond and the original is now much bigger. I must pay a visit and take a fly rod also due to there being Trout in there. I remember I could not fish there for a few years as Otley AC took it on and only members could fish it. That was back in the day when membership to Otley AC was dead mans boots and the Wharfe was full of fish... Alas its a sorry state right now :(

Munchy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used to be a member of Pool AC for quite a few years and there were several who were also members of Otley AC, however I've since lost touch with them.