Where have all the EA Baliffs gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was talking to a lad earlier who hasn't bought a rod licence this year because he didn't buy one last year, because he hasn't seen a baliff yet even though he has been fishing for several years.
Come to think of it, it must have been 3 years since I was last approached regarding mine.

When was the last time you saw an EA Baliff?

Let me know and I'll send a question to the Enviromental Agency based on the replies.

Regards, Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi all,
I guess they must be scared of the wide open spaces up there in the north.
Down here in the south,i've had mine checked 7 times in the last 2 seasons.
They seem to travel in pairs down this way,is it the same in other parts of
the country icon_smile_question.gif
All of the checks bar one have taken place at commercial venues at weekends,
the exception being two that came strolling down a wind and rainswept
Royal Military Canal in January,and skylined everybody fishing an Angling
Times winter league match,how very considerate........NOT.
On a slightly different tack,my own club has a rule that a current rod license
has to be produced at the start of each season,No license = No membership,one
way around License Evasion.
Should it be a condition that fisheries issuing day tickets should only do so
on production of a current rod license icon_smile_question.gif
These fisheries are the very people that benefit from the work and facilities
offered by the Enviroment Agency,so would it not be right for them to support them in this way icon_smile_question.gif
Probably stirring up a hornets nest with some of these views,but what the hell,
let's hear your opinions.
Cheers,
Peter icon_smile.gif.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
about EA Baliffs i was checked two weeks ago on the river weaver in winsford on the meadow bank stretch but that was the only time in two years, to be honest i was glad to see them because why should we pay 20 and others get away with it,
i hope every time i go fishing i am checked,
If you forget your rod licence just show him some proof were you live
and he will blow in to checkyou have one
tightlines dave(scouse)

Tim

The last time I saw a baliff must have been at the begining of last season when I was fishing a match on the Trent at the back of Home Pierpoint (I think thats how you spell it). There was a large open on the lake and I think he decided to have a wander over.
I know that the lads do a pretty good job but Dave can you ask how many baliffs they have in relation to the number of licences they sell?? I suppose really they only have to check every angler once a year icon_smile_evil.gif
quote:On a slightly different tack,my own club has a rule that a current rod license has to be produced at the start of each season,No license = No membership

Thats not a bad idea Peter, maybe one that all clubs should adopt.

icon_smile_big.gif Tim

scouse

'River Man'
hi Tim
on your point about club, our club has the same rules
no licence no membership also if you book anybody
in he or she must hold a licence if found to be fishing
without one member is told to leave and is find
by the club a rule that is enforced
Forgot to say we have our own lake.
tightlines dave(scouse).

Terri

I believe the maximum fine for not having a license is 2500. How many people have been fined that sofar, all I hear about is the odd 50'er

Terri

Frank

I last had my licence checked in June whilst fishing a commercial fishery also Peter. If you think about it, we must all spend in the region of 20 for a day's fishing - Day ticket, bait, petrol, the extra hooks, shot, etc that jumps at you from the shop counter when getting your bait, so it's not too bad value. Certainly not worth taking the risk of getting caught without.
It may be an idea for the commercial fisheries to ask to see rod licences before parting with a ticket or even allowing them to sell day rod licences at the same time, then no excuses.

Frank

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Frank,
Couldn't agree more,it's excellent value for money,back in the old days i had to purchase 4 different licences just to fullfil my club angling commitments,so 20 pounds for 1 licence that covers everywhere actually saves me money.
20 pounds is not an excessive price to pay (it works out at just over 5p a day)
in this day and age.
The pity is the reluctance of the courts to impose the penalties available to them.I'm sure a few well publicised fines of the maximum 2500 would make a few evaders think twice.
Down here we have a few fisheries that can issue weekly licences on site which is handy for the casual angler,but it would be nice to see this more widely available .Also with the demise of the tackle dealer selling them, i think that the EA has shot itself in the foot,as they would always remind their customers of the need to renew.
Finally in todays hi tech age you can renew on-line
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/So really there is no excuse if you are caught,is there?
Cheers
Peter

Edited by - peter on 13 Oct 2001 12:38:28 PM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
You may find the above link to the EA site more usefull than you think,not just for rod licences,but it also contains local contact numbers,local area maps detailing water quality and their own angling homepage.
Have a look,you may be surprised.
Cheers,
Peter

Edited by - peter on 13 Oct 2001 1:02:39 PM

Dem0n

Ok I've just spent about an hour searching that EA siteand just about all I can find is about F+M,flood barriers or fly tipping so come on, some one tell me what I really pay me 20 quid for

Dammit I know there's fish here somewhere

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Demon
If you have just spent an hour looking through the site and can't find the answer to your question,then i'm sorry for wasting your time!!!!!!!!!!
Peter

MALC

I've not been checked once this year, yet last year i was checked 11 times 5 of which were on the same venue's.
Every time i have been checked though it's either on a saturday or sunday in a publised match.
I fish alot during the week but have never been checked on a week day.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
A friend of mine is an EA bailiff & his area is : north staffs border to south staffs border & east staffs border to west staffs border. (thats a lot of water to cover)

When i asked him why he had so much area to cover he told me it was because "so few people buy licences nowadays & the goverment cut backs mean that the EA haven't got the money to support a full staff of bailiffs even the voluntary ones because the fuel allowences etc are crippling them".

Like i said on another forum i used to post on:"If we as anglers got together a petition to get the goverment to drop the price of the rod licence & introduce a rod licence for ALL angling including sea/beach & a minimum of 80% of this revenue raised was handed to the EA then maybe just maybe the amount of money coming in will go up".

I did ask for some feedback on this idea on the other forum but recieved none ....I now ask the same on this forum ..What do you lot think??

Answers on a post card to "you f**kin idiot c/o maggot drowning.com"

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Edited by - Trogg on 15 Oct 2001 3:29:48 PM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dear "you f****n idiot c/o maggot drowning.com"
Lovely idea Alan,but i'm not convinced you could get the sea anglers to go along with it.I've spoken to a few that i know about this subject,but the attitude seems to be that they have never paid and aren't about to start now.Selfish i know but symtomatic of the divisions that affect angling today i'm afraid.If it was put in place i fear there would be an even larger number of evaders tying up more baliff's.
What's the answer?I haven't a clue i'm afraid.
Cheers'
Peter

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pete

Thanks for the reply

Thats one more than i got the last time i posted this idea on a forum.

I'll admit i can see your point of view summat that i never really thought of.

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Status
Not open for further replies.