Where does it end?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
You’ve answered your own thread there pal. 👍. Way too much time.
If only I could spend some time in a local council. Redundancies, demotions and general cost savings would be the result.

Local council - a body designed to function with no sense of budgetary responsibility, no common sense and run by people who would struggle to stack shelves correctly in a supermarket.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
If only I could spend some time in a local council. Redundancies, demotions and general cost savings would be the result.

Local council - a body designed to function with no sense of budgetary responsibility, no common sense and run by people who would struggle to stack shelves correctly in a supermarket.
Having worked for myself for over 30 years Neil I can only strongly agree with you there. I’ve often thought …. Wouldn’t it be nice to receive money before I’d actually done something. Then I could make out how busy I was allocating this ‘ free ‘ money. As a contractor I’ve done work for councils and if I’d run a company like they run their council I’d be bust the same week. They’ve no sense of money at all.

corkycat

As I have alluded to in an earlier post, what is the cultural and historical problem with Yorkshire Tea? I thought it was produced in areas like Sheffield, Leeds, and Barnsley by former steel workers, mill workers and coal miners. What I don't get is how the tea grows in that grim climate over there. Oh and another thing; on the Yorkshire Tea packaging there are drawings of men playing cricket - in Yorkshire? Come on.

(I'm taking shelter)

Chervil

Site Supporter
When I first read it, I really thought it was a wind up. Not as though they haven't got other, more important, things to worry about is it?

Leeds Council passes budget that will see £87m of cuts and hundreds of job losses

Nearly £90m of cuts, 800 job losses and a five per cent rise in council tax have been voted through as part of Leeds City Council’s budget for the coming year.

The changes were announced by the authority’s new leader Coun James Lewis (Lab), who said the increases in demand for services and loss of revenue caused by Covid-19 meant the city was facing its “biggest crisis in 75 years”.

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Start the brainwashing whilst they're young...

"The goal is to examine “how local products such as Yorkshire Parkin and Yorkshire Tea are, in fact, reliant on global trade”.

The findings will be used to educate primary school pupils in the area."

I didn't know Parkin lasted that long. If you were to investigate everything containing sugar or grown in the southern hemisphere, we'd have nothing left to eat or drink that wasn't connected to slavery in one way or another.

tysontim

Site Supporter
BLM need to
Having worked for myself for over 30 years Neil I can only strongly agree with you there. I’ve often thought …. Wouldn’t it be nice to receive money before I’d actually done something. Then I could make out how busy I was allocating this ‘ free ‘ money. As a contractor I’ve done work for councils and if I’d run a company like they run their council I’d be bust the same week. They’ve no sense of money at all.
To right Mick, but it’s all to easy to spend someone else’s money, maybe they would be more careful if spending their own.
As for BLM they are nothing but a bunch of criminals hell bent on creating a lawless society whilst lining their own pockets with the White mans money.
Time for someone in power to stamp on these people from a great height and be rid once and for all as they offer this Country nothing but trouble.😡😡😡

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got a mate whose dad worked for the council, he was guided towards getting a job for them too, at the very least in the public sector. He studied History and Politics and did a Masters in Public Management funded by his first job for the council. It has set him in very good stead and he's one of the most successful of my mates, said he wouldn't work in the private sector. Apparently when working for Walthamstow Council he said it was full of lefties and he felt much more at home there compared to when he had a job for WM Police and all the talk was about Brexit.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
"When will it end"?
It will never end.
Now the genie is out of the bottle it will never be put back in.

This is the sort of naivity that saw the wrecking of the farming system in Zimbabwe resulting in mass unemployment and starvation. These BLM and SUTR people who are being driven by the white middle class intellectuals that form the core of the SWP who are locked in the 19th century.

ginger

Site Supporter
I cannot understand why local and even county councils can claim to be short of money. Look around you, everywhere here in Derbyshire new houses are being built, not in 2's'or 3's but in the hundreds and thousands. All of these new builds mean more revenue for the councils (and probably councillors via brown envelopes) with not a lot being spent to accommodate the huge increase in traffic, waste and sewage among other things. and of course with all of the country side being covered in concrete or tarmac flooding is going to become even more of a problem. the only other question I would like to see answered is where are all the buyers of new house coming from, surely they are not giving them out for nothing!

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter

They are as they are for reasons... In your fantasy of dictatorship, you're in control. In reality one of your many decisive actions would bite you, your colleges and councillors would leave you to burn and you'd be out before you'd make a difference, because running a council isn't a dictatorship! It's nightmare balancing act of competing interests, rivals, public perceptions, legal challenge, budget restrictions, union actions and god knows what else.

You might achieve something step by step long-term. Wade in as you describe and you'd make no difference other than reinforce to everyone else how stupid it is trying to change anything as they watched you train-wreck.

PS. This doesn't mean that I'm supporting the or arguing with the OP.
PPS. Or that I don't sympathise with your feelings either.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mate who worked for councils I described above, he told me when he's asked what his biggest weakness is in interviews, he says "being slow to fire people". :LOL: I can't knock him really as he has done well for himself in the public sector, enjoys his work, and he's the one with a 3 bed detached and Range Rover on the drive in his 30s.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Having spent just over ten years working for two of our local authorities earlier in my career I wholeheartedly agree with that comment especially "people who would struggle to stack shelves correctly in a supermarket." There are people in local government who've sat at the same desk doing the same job (they get the occasional promotion just 'cos they've been there so long) passing the same bits of paper too and fro for their entire career. They end up like long-term prison inmates - entirely unable to function in the real world.

And that really is no exaggeration - I worked alongside some of them - some had jobs that were so insignificant I wondered how they managed to fill a 37 hour week.

I spent a few days covering for a guy in Transportation whose sole job was compiling accident data & reports (remember this was pre-computers) and actually boiled down to receiving a daily report from the local police regarding road traffic accidents which gave the location, type and severity of the incident - next to his desk was a drawing board with a street map of the town pinned to it with lots of little coloured circles affixed - each of the different colours related to a different type of RTA and he just attached the appropriate sticker to the correct location. And that was it - it only took me more than ten minutes on one occasion when I ran out of a certain colour sticker and had to hike down a floor to the stock room. Once a quarter the map would be ceremoniously removed from the drawing board and sent to transportation policy - a department which nobody appeared to know exactly what they did.:p

And speaking of policy there are whole departments within local government devoted to it they spend months producing a 40 page document on some utterly trivial subject, full of totally incomprehensible management speak which no will ever read and then a few years later they'll rewrite it 'cos the last one is now out of date.

But by far the two biggest wastes of space in the local council are social services and HR - despite working there ten years I never actually managed to figure out what HR did - except get in the bloody way - oh and insist we interview a guy in a wheelchair for a paviours job 😲

As for social services (specifically social workers) what a fecking work-shy lot they were - one lass was on the sick for FIVE years due to stress - every six months she'd come back to work for a couple of days, become 'stressed' again and go back on the sick - but 'cos she never had more than six months off she was on full-pay for the whole five years.

The problem is that when jobs are lost from local authorities it's always the staff who actually do something useful that are axed - binmen, gardeners, road sweepers, highways staff etc etc.

Simon