Where do Barbel hang out?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You have only posted to show off the new bucket 😂
I was told in the first pic I would have to reach over it, old one was a paint bucket, to reach my rod so I have got better at peg arrangement as well as getting a new bucket. 😁

bettsfan

Seeing is believing sometimes! Some years ago (about 8 years ago) I first ventured onto a 'guided' stretch of the River Teme ran by Dave Mason. Before fishing Dave would take us for a walk along the stretch to identify the known haunts of the Barbel. On one area it was fairly shallow with a very steep bank, with decent Polaroids you could see every single pebble on the bottom, so Dave would ask how many Barbel we could see. Over 5 minutes and with 5 pairs of eyes looking we saw 2 Barbel go through the stretch in total to which Dave said 'now watch this ??

He took one pouch full of Pellet and catapulted it onto the stretch. As soon as it hit the water Barbel come out from under the far bushes hoovered up the Pellet and went back. I have never seen anything like it, before or since as there were in excess of 100 Barbel on that one straight.

So we thought it was simply a case of cast your bait and fire pellet over it and it was guaranteed you would get a take yet these fish took every loose pellet but rarely one on the end of your tackle. I had one fish over 3 days of trying,

Generally I will always go for the crease but do look out for any obstruction which may cause a bit of slack water and will always give it 10 or 15 minutes in that spot too. Its amazing how many times that produces it cannot be a coincidence!!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've only had one bash at Barbel fishing...about 6 years ago when we camped on the Severn at Montford Bridge. Didn't really have a clue what I was doing & the river was well up & racing through. I blanked obviously.
Later in the evening, a local fella caught a nice barbel of around 6lbs, fishing right in front of him a rod length out. He told me to always look for a bit of slack water in conditions like that.

frankg

Site Supporter
When fishing for chub and barbel, I think you have look at all the conditions, level, colour, rubbish coming down the river, low pressure, high pressure, sunny, overcast, depths in the swim….and then think, where would I want to be if I was a chub or barbel, where I wouldn’t have to struggle to hold station, I can intercept food, have enough oxygen etc.
Seems a lot but it’s not!
It’s just reading the river and conditions and then making your best guess.
That doesn’t stop you from casting around the swim also…or using a light lead to search the swim with a moving bait.
Are you fishing upper or middle Severn? 👍🎣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When fishing for chub and barbel, I think you have look at all the conditions, level, colour, rubbish coming down the river, low pressure, high pressure, sunny, overcast, depths in the swim….and then think, where would I want to be if I was a chub or barbel, where I wouldn’t have to struggle to hold station, I can intercept food, have enough oxygen etc.
Seems a lot but it’s not!
It’s just reading the river and conditions and then making your best guess.
That doesn’t stop you from casting around the swim also…or using a light lead to search the swim with a moving bait.
Are you fishing upper or middle Severn? 👍🎣
Middle Severn... (y) it offers a good a variety of swims and then different places in those swims to try so that's definitely where the watercraft comes in... there's a lot of variety of water for the Barbel which is why I think they like it there so much...

I do have a habit of sticking to the same pegs I know produce on the Severn though next time I plan to fish Quatford (a stretch I've only walked along before) and the best looking pegs look the furthest walk.

It's funny when fishing a weir I fish on a tributary, my dad always says "if I was a fish this is where I'd be".

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Seeing is believing sometimes! Some years ago (about 8 years ago) I first ventured onto a 'guided' stretch of the River Teme ran by Dave Mason. Before fishing Dave would take us for a walk along the stretch to identify the known haunts of the Barbel. On one area it was fairly shallow with a very steep bank, with decent Polaroids you could see every single pebble on the bottom, so Dave would ask how many Barbel we could see. Over 5 minutes and with 5 pairs of eyes looking we saw 2 Barbel go through the stretch in total to which Dave said 'now watch this ??

He took one pouch full of Pellet and catapulted it onto the stretch. As soon as it hit the water Barbel come out from under the far bushes hoovered up the Pellet and went back. I have never seen anything like it, before or since as there were in excess of 100 Barbel on that one straight.

So we thought it was simply a case of cast your bait and fire pellet over it and it was guaranteed you would get a take yet these fish took every loose pellet but rarely one on the end of your tackle. I had one fish over 3 days of trying,

Generally I will always go for the crease but do look out for any obstruction which may cause a bit of slack water and will always give it 10 or 15 minutes in that spot too. Its amazing how many times that produces it cannot be a coincidence!!
Sounds like a good sight to see Barbel. It is rare I have seen them myself. The stretch I have checked out of the Teme (Eardiston) only had a couple of pegs available due to an overgrown bank but I'm going to fish them sometime. Luckily they have a bit of deeper water in them just after a very shallow run where you can see the bottom right the way across. It reminds me of a Des Taylor tip (he has closed his youtube channel now) that where you can't see the bottom on, there are the Barbel... (obviously only a rough guide).