Where are we going fellers??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I moved the boat today to our new moorings at Goytre Wharfe. That,s 20 minutes drive away by road but 3 hours cruising time on the canal.
I saw 2 anglers and they were mates fishing together.That was it and this is a canal that fishes well for good sized fish not a hard B&J scratching water like some I know.
There is a huge regeneration plan going through at the minute and they are spending 75,000,000 on the canal.
Theres a couple of large marinas going in and a great lump of disused canal being dredged and re-opened.
You know how much of this 75 million is being spent with anglers in mind??????
Not a penny. How can we lose out on something like that???
In fact this whole thing will mean less fishing available for anglers because there will be sizeable lumps of it were fishing wont be allowed.
Trust me, Ive seen the presentation and the plans.
There is only one reason for that in truth and thats because we as anglers contribute zilch to the upkeep and we dont have any voice on any of these committees.
Has it got to the stage now were we are relinquishing all rights to our natural waters save for a few die hards in favour of grossly overstocked puddles???
We talk about "Will antis get this banned or will they get that banned"???? The biggest enemy to our sport is US.
Our apathy and our constant "seperatist in fighting" and in lots of circumstances our stinking attitudes towards litter etc will in my opinion end our sport long before the antis do.
All day on our new mooring Ive been feeding loads and loads of carp. Mirrors, commons and ghosties, stacks of them well into double figures. Theres hundreds of them there.
Anglers never were officialy allowed there but blind eyes were turned.
Now anglers arent allowed to step foot on the stretch at all between the 2 bridges and that was down to a couple of knobheads that constantly fished on the mouth of the marina despite being told many times and fired bait at passing boats.
Because of those people everyone lost that what is probably the most prolific of all water on the entire canal.
Its absolute rigid now. NO FISHING.
Personally I dont think some of us will ever learn.
The thing I have realised most that has shocked me since we bought this boat has been the lack of credibility we have as anglers and Im not talking from boaters in particular but the people on committees that make decisions that affect the future of our sport big time.
We think "Oh we're the biggest participant sport and blah de blah" and its absolute cobblers.
At the end of the day big money will win and by and large we do not reinvest any money back into our sport.
We expect everything for nothing or we want it as cheap as chips.
We can go out and spend thousands and thousands on our kit but we winge like old bags when the rod licence goes up by a few pence a week.
As a boater British Waterways get 500 a year license from me. I pay 250 a year insurance. I pay 125.00 a month mooring fees.
As an angler I buy a rod license.
Theres only one of those two options with a voice and it isnt Blokey the angler.
I dont know were we are going in truth but I dont think theres a lot of sunshine when we get there.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Bostin post from someone seeing it from two sides.

Are we retreating into the isolation of our tucked away commercials, as sitting ducks to be blown away one day, cos I think we are ?

chris w

pc problem solver
interesting read blokey any ideas on whats happening to the canel in newport and cwmbran mate i would love to have an idea of the plans and timscale any website links you have please post or opm me cheers

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Having been hassling trout with feathers for much of the last 20 years, I read your post & thought "what are carp doing in a canal?" shouldn't it be for fishing for roach last seen 2 months ago and settling for a gudgeon?

The spread of carp aside, I agree that we won't get much attention unless we become more profitable to businesses and government. But what's the solution? We can't push for an increase in license fee (to become more profitable & so important to government) because a larger proportion of anglers are skint when compared with the average boat owner. But it seems that the cost of fishing on a less intensively managed (i.e. stocked) water is disproportionately low, given that so many will shell 5 or more for a commercial.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Chris one of the blokes who is working on this lives next door to me and he brought the presentation home on his laptop and showed it to me.
Ive also seen it and discussed it with some members of the canal society.
I dont know where you can get free access to any plans but I will ask my neighbour and let you know if its possible.
What I can tell you is that B&Q,Comet,Halfords etc Pets at Home are all going from that site in Cwmbran and there is a marina and a new hotel going there.
The fourteen locks are being repaired and reopened and work is going on with the canal below that with a view to a link up in the next 10 years.
The canal at Pontnwydd (4 locks or 5 locks whatever its called). The canal is getting widened and a new marina is going there.
There are plans for a barrage on the Usk below the castle and a huge marina and housing going in there. Thats one of the reasons that new bridge has gone in and all that property down there other than Castle Bingo is now vacant..
A lot of this has gone beyond the planning stage and has the funding in place.

alfie

wouldn't surprise me if a developer has bought a load of land next to the canal and a LOT of private money is being spent before they build a load of houses.
If so then there is not much you can do,I mean you can't tell someone what to do with their land

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
To add more doom & gloom to an already gloomy situation; Don't think for one minute
that there aren't plenty of other developers just itching to get their mitts on prime
bits of canal up and down the country.

A quick 'sweetener' in the back pocket of the local council, and Bob's your uncle;
another stretch of angling water goes up the swanee.

I don't see any easy way to prevent this from happening. Let's just hope that the
developers don't see a way to make a profit from commercial fisheries' land and waters.

Mark274

Cowboy
There is an answer to this.

Join a club, a lot of clubs purchase or long term lease a lot of waters and if you are in a club you have more buying power to get these waters.

Bodies of water are up for sale, lease or rent all the time, it's just finding them.

Muskie
If the developers could've made money out of the land the commercial wouldn't be there. To make a commercial costs money, if you have a parcel of land doing nothing that could be developed someone would offer to buy it for a rediculous sum knowing they could make ten times that.

Mark

methodgob

yoda
Don't British Waterways have user group meetings down your way Blokey?
We even have a BW funded anglers forum up here.

As for anglers paying nothing towards canals,then that's just plainly not true.Rent rates have been a contentious issue up our way for quite some time.How does over 2000/mile grab you?Our club has to run matches right through winter to claw some of this back as yearbook sales alone wont pay the rent.this then upsets the few pleasure anglers that venture out over winter.

I believe anglers on the canals in Yorkshire have quite a reasonable amount of access to things that are going on with canals and rivers in this area.The chances to put our views over to the powers that be are in place,all that is needed is for anglers to get off their behinds and attend these meetings/forums/committees instead of whingeing on internet forums and in tackle shops(not a dig at you Barry as I'm sure you'll understand where I'm coming from).

See if your area has an environment agency angling consultative,or contact BW to ask about user group meetings.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Im genuinely pleased to hear that they have their act together a bit more than they have round here Method but going off what you have said its a far, far cry from that here.
My local club have loads of canal that never see,s an angler from one month to the next and I bet you they arent paying anywhere near that sum for rental.
Theres a stretch within half a mile of my house called the Dolly. Its good tench fishing, loads of silvers and pike and the only angler Ive ever seen on it is me,,,,,twice ,,,,,, (and I blanked )[:D][:D][:D]

ada

brummie
CRACKING POST MATE AS WITH SO MANY THINGS IN OUR SPORT THE MINORITY SPOIL IT,AS YOU SAID THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU PAY IS BIG MONEY COMPARED TO FISHING LEASES,i KNOW A CLUB IN BRUM THAT LEASE 1 MILE OF THE BIRMINGHAM FAZELY CANAL ON A DECENT STRETCH FOR 150 PER YEAR,PEANUTS COMPARED TO THE BOAT REVENUE SO FISHING WILL ALWAYS COME A POOR SECOND TO THE BOATS PERSONALLY i HAVE NO PROBS WITH THE BOATS AS LONG AS THEY STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT,WHEN THEY SPEED THEY CHURN THE BOTTOM TOO MUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.