When was the last time

CarpCatcher86

You spent the day fishing just one method? I know the carp boys do this, but what about the rest of the normal anglers ;)
I just used a feeder yesterday on one of our club waters, it wasn't really that windy but there was enough of a constant ripple on the water to make seeing a float difficult, so the feeder it was. I caught plenty which I was very happy with considering I don't usually partake in much feeder fishing and was beginning to think I had wasted my money on the gear. A bit boring I must admit which would have improved with a few more fish. More often than not I fish a combination of waggler and feeder, just to keep my busy and doing something or I start having silly thoughts like, should I go home yet. Not a good thing to think when fishing.
Come on then lads and lasses, lets hear your thoughts.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
yesterday.... carping... before that... last wed/Thurs at Docklow.... weds Pole top 2+2 for 31 F1's on the Stock pond & Thurs Maggot feeder on Mickey for about 30lbs of Chub and Ide... both days I caught steadily so saw no reason to change

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On rivers I’ll often go through stick, waggler and feeder in one session and almost always do at least two of them but doing just one is not unusual at all. On Stillwaters however I almost always just fish the waggler as I don’t pole fish and there’s no real benefit to fishing feeder on the Stillwaters I mostly fish. On canals I’ll mostly just fish waggler but will occasionally go on feeder.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's easier to name the times I fish more than one method. Last time was on the Severn when I fished Bread on the float then a different bait on a Barbel rod on the same day. Thinking back to the last few sessions; feeder only on weir, punch only on canal, waggler only on a commercial, feeder only on an estate lake. As a pleasure angler usually I have an idea of what I want to try on that day, saves carrying more tackle and bait, but it doesn't mean I don't mix up the methods, just on different days.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I normally have an idea in my head of what I want to do on any given day so tend to stick to one method. Be it feeder fishing for Bream, float fishing for Tench or fishing the bomb for Chub in winter.
Match fishing is a bit different but my hope was always to end a match as I started, barring the first half hour or so whilst I would let my main line settle. There’s a grain of truth in the old adage that ” The angler that’s finishes how they started is going to be in the mix”. Team fishing was an exception when sometimes you’d throw the kitchen sink at a peg trying to get points.
Feeder fishing? Yes it can be very boring but often rewards a bit of hard work. Searching a peg for features and keeping active are points to bear in mind👍 Pleased you had a good day on it😁

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Last Sunday on one of our club's small ponds, I set up a light float rod with an insert waggler, fishing maggot over micros, to have a go at the silvers in there, plus a small cage feeder, that sat on the bank all day. Having a biting wind up my jacksy and being sat in the shade most of the day, meant I needed to keep busy to try to stay warm and the roach, rudd and skimmers obliged. I had 86 on my clicker at the end of the day, seeing as there are no keepnets allowed on this pond, but it was a day well spent with the simplest of tackle.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Last time out on this pond, I started on p/w. After about an hour or so I'd only had a couple of bites so I switched to method - bingo!

Last edited:

CarpCatcher86

I wonder if it's the same for the match boys.
I've seen some fish four or five methods in a match and some just one.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I wonder if it's the same for the match boys.
I've seen some fish four or five methods in a match and some just one.
The best matches fish themselves really. Sometimes you change tack to keep fish coming. Sometimes you change because you are struggling. The harder the match the more worthwhile trying something else just to feed the net.
Very generally😉
There’s so many other factors involved with changing approach in a match.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Most of the time I'm on the feeder, but I do change to waggler if struggling. 2 different methods that has paid dividends in the past..and still do.

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Love my feeder matches, quite happy to sit and watch a tip all day. Pleasure sessions l like to just fish one method rather than set up loads of kit. Mind you, l do set up a tip rod if l'm going to fish the pole, chuck it out when its time to eat my sarnies.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
On my last match , I had to swap between the 5m line on the pole, 13m slapping, upto 16m mugging, and a pellet waggler..I came 2nd , beaten by a pound.....if I’d of sat on one thing , I’d of come nowhere 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Most of the time I'm on the feeder, but I do change to waggler if struggling. 2 different methods that has paid dividends in the past..and still do.
I've four times as many feeder rods as I have float rods so that says something about what I do mostly

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I often use just one method. Never more than two. If it's working I stick with it. It's rarely the method that's wrong if I'm not catching, but the bait, feeding, or depth that need sorting.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Mind you, l do set up a tip rod if l'm going to fish the pole, chuck it out when its time to eat my sarnies.
Bit like me when on rivers, come sandwich time the feeder goes out with corn on the hook and I can be pretty sure I'll be undisturbed whilst I'm eating 😅