When did ..........

Simon R

Site Supporter
Halloween become a three week long festival?

Everytime I turn the tv on there's features on halloween costumes for kids, pets and how to decorate your house.
No doubt there'll be recipe ideas about what to make with pumpkins.
Do people actually hollow out the fruit and stick a candle inside or just buy a plastic one these days?
I used to have a hollowed out turnip (pumpkins weren't available in the north-east in the 70s) with a candle in it and a bit of hairy string as a handle,

The decorations have been out for weeks locally - artificial webs and artificial spiders, cotton wool everywhere and bloodstained sheets in windows
Some of 'em are looking a bit forlorn with all the recent wind and rain and there's still over a week to go.
And I know for a fact the same houses will have the inflatable santas up in the front garden, the flashing reindeer on the roof and the illuminated icicles hanging from the guttering before the last rocket has landed on Guy Fawkes Day

I shall, as usual, be ignoring the door a week on Sunday

Simon

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Apparently Squid Game merchandise has sold out. I don't watch telly or go out much so I don't notice.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Creeping Americanisation. I don't recall much interest in Halloween through the 80s. Trick or Treat (for some strange reason I was never allowed to go out and blackmail the neighbours), carved turnip lanterns and the odd party that usually included a barrel of water with apples in.

Thankfully, I've not noticed a great deal of Halloween activity locally. However, one of the local farmers does have a field full of pick your own pumpkins.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
come the day, a note goes up in my window and on the door

NO TRICK OR TREAT PLEASE

it annoys the hell out of the dog

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
My elderly neighbours have done something similar, 2 skeletons on a couch covered in cobwebs. Don't know when they did it as I haven't seen them for months.
I bet they’ve got a record breaking collection of milk bottles on their doorstep haven’t they! 😉

Trogg

Site Supporter
It's a thing we tried to copy from the yanks
I hate it ,more money too waste:whistle:
Doesn't anybody know the history of THIS country anymore??

Halloween (Samhain) is a PAGAN festival, it has been celebrated in this country long before Leif Erikson even discovered America!

Trick or Treat is the American thing NOT halloween.

Halloween, just like Christmas (yule) and Easter (Eostre) is another special day stolen by the Christ believers in a sad attempt to crush the true religion of this country.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Doesn't anybody know the history of THIS country anymore??

Halloween (Samhain) is a PAGAN festival, it has been celebrated in this country long before Leif Erikson even discovered America!

Trick or Treat is the American thing NOT halloween.

Halloween, just like Christmas (yule) and Easter (Eostre) is another special day stolen by the Christ believers in a sad attempt to crush the true religion of this country.
I do. However, this thing that's done under the name Halloween bears no relationship to the original pagan festival. Even the Christianised version was exported to North America, kicked about for a couple of centuries and exported back to us with a commercial aspect and a dollop of extortion with menaces.

Trogg

Site Supporter
I do. However, this thing that's done under the name Halloween bears no relationship to the original pagan festival. Even the Christianised version was exported to North America, kicked about for a couple of centuries and exported back to us with a commercial aspect and a dollop of extortion with menaces.
Yeah....including those bloody pumpkins instead of traditional Turnip or beet!! 🤬🤬

ElmSDziWMAIuzHC.jpeg.jpg

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
And then they gave us Black Friday which has nothing to to with the slave population that helped build their great nation and values of ' The American Dream' (make money by any means possible).