When buying a rod, what do you look for?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I try get a feel for the action from a waggle and someone pulling on the tip and how it balances and weighs in the hand from just generally holding it. Then the finish comes into it. I like to have full cork or at least almost full cork handle and I prefer a Matt finish and subtle graphics. I always like to get hold of more expensive rods before I buy them but will gamble on buying cheaper ones blind as its not quite so bad if you get it wrong then.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think I need to take a step back a little bit and think about what I want the rod for and/ or what purpose will be served by me buying it. Next thing I do is hunt around for reviews which are inevitably tied to how much I want to spend. Usually I will do some on line research to find "expert" views or reviews. If I can, I like to see the rod in action via a video. This I find very helpful. It's rare these days that I will buy anything from a tackle shop on spec relying on a "waggle" as experience has taught me that bankside (for me personally) other issues come into play. I do tend to lean towards certain manufacturers now. Sadly my local tackle shop guys only deal with one or two of the manufacturers I like, so on line it has been for most of my rods

Last edited:

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The 1st thing I look at will be balance, if it feels tip heavy it will go straight back in the rack without even so much as a waggle, then I will give it a general waggle to check out the tip recovery speed too much tip bounce and again straight back in the rack. Then I will get down to the nitty gritty of trying the action this will be 1st done just by asking the shop assistant to pull on the tip to get a general idea of how it feels once I am happy I will fit a reel and thread a line through the rings and try it again as said above a rod can feel very different with a line through the rings than it does with someone pulling on the tip. Only when I have done this will I compare things like actual rod weight, handle length and design, quality of fittings and finish. Hopefully I will have done some research 1st and drawn up a short list but there are times when you pick something up in a shop when you had no intention to buy anything and it just feels right. The same would apply to a feeder rod but outer things like how the tips blend and tip strength would also come into the equation.
^^^
Mostly as above, I will take a couple of different reels I intend to use on the rod and have a weigh up and see how they feel and balance. Consider customer service from the manufacturer, spare parts backup / availability in the future.

deck24m

Site Supporter
Just so I can put this to bed and not worry about it anymore :p I just need to know:

What is meant with being tip heavy?

I know what a parabolix action is, but what other actions are there?

satinet

Site Supporter
Just so I can put this to bed and not worry about it anymore :p I just need to know:

What is meant with being tip heavy?

I know what a parabolix action is, but what other actions are there?
I think they just mean the tip of the rod is heavy.

If you had two rod that weighed the same on the scales the one with the heavier tip section would feel heavier to hold when you're using it.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I look at independent reviews and then look at the price. If it's all favourable I buy it. I rarely get to waggle the rods.