When best laid plans go pear shaped.

Maverick

Site Supporter
With the carp starting to shut up shop and not wanting much bait, it was onto youtube for some tips on winter feeder fishing.

Carp & skimmers would be the target bait and I deciced the plan was to fish a 10g bomb and corn.

Clip up, start short. feed nothing, 10 minute casts, cast around the peg and watch for liners.

Nothing. So take off the clip and go 2 mtrs further out. Clip up and repeat casts around the peg. A few indications and then a take and a nice carp about 7lb.

Cast to same area, nothing. Move left and right, nothing. Go 2 mtrs further out, nothing and so the day went on. Removed the bomb and added a small cage feeder with a few micros and groundbait to see if I could attract a fish but to no avail. Tried some pop up bread as by now I was getting desperate for a bite. Nothing worked.

Tried a hybrid feeder much further out with coloured wafters. Nothing.

Ended up just adding 1 skimmer to the 1 carp. After such a promising start it all went pear shaped and I was left scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong.

I guess at the end of the day if your not on a few fish at this time of the year they just aint going to come to you.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Winter fishing can just be like that can’t it. Especially with carp on the agenda.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
You could have been on a peg full of fish but by having a one dimensional approach didn't give yourself a chance to catch them.
The fish could have been off the bottom and a single piece of corn could be hard to find.
A popped up bait of just a few inches to a few feet could have made all the difference.
The choice of peg is also more critical as the year moves on as the weather affects the water even more..

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Always worth setting up a waggler with little or no weight down and chuck that around. 3 or 4 floating whites, a couple of discs of bread fluttering down slowly through the depths can sometimes induce a bite.
I'd start long aswell, look for reeds, dead lillies etc whilst priming a couple of spots closer in for later on.
But obviously a lot depends on the lake and how it normally fishes.

Rick123

Site Supporter
With the carp starting to shut up shop and not wanting much bait, it was onto youtube for some tips on winter feeder fishing.

Carp & skimmers would be the target bait and I deciced the plan was to fish a 10g bomb and corn.

Clip up, start short. feed nothing, 10 minute casts, cast around the peg and watch for liners.

Nothing. So take off the clip and go 2 mtrs further out. Clip up and repeat casts around the peg. A few indications and then a take and a nice carp about 7lb.

Cast to same area, nothing. Move left and right, nothing. Go 2 mtrs further out, nothing and so the day went on. Removed the bomb and added a small cage feeder with a few micros and groundbait to see if I could attract a fish but to no avail. Tried some pop up bread as by now I was getting desperate for a bite. Nothing worked.

Tried a hybrid feeder much further out with coloured wafters. Nothing.

Ended up just adding 1 skimmer to the 1 carp. After such a promising start it all went pear shaped and I was left scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong.

I guess at the end of the day if your not on a few fish at this time of the year they just aint going to come to you.

It sounds good plan to me buddy, but if the fish ant feeding just maybe it time for a much bigger change in your fishing. I've been knocking myself out trying to catch roach and dace when they have not really moved to winter quarters in numbers. Maybe you should fish for anything with lighter gear and the carp will come along if they are hungry. JMO You cannot catch fish of they are not there or feeding, simples?

Maverick

Site Supporter
It sounds good plan to me buddy, but if the fish ant feeding just maybe it time for a much bigger change in your fishing. I've been knocking myself out trying to catch roach and dace when they have not really moved to winter quarters in numbers. Maybe you should fish for anything with lighter gear and the carp will come along if they are hungry. JMO You cannot catch fish of they are not there or feeding, simples?

Yes in hindsight I should have taken some maggots with me and tried a waggler.

This all happened on the Wednesday. Two days later knowing I was going to be fishing a different lake and reflecting on what happened on the Wednesday I formed a different plan of attack.

Clipped up and started close in again but this time I put 3 medium cages of sweet F1 groundbait containing a few maggots in each.

Changed the feeder to a small size with 2 red maggots on the hook and went straight in over the top of it without waiting. During the next 90 minutes I had 5 skimmers and a small perch then it went quiet. unclipped and just threw the small cage a bit further out and left and right a bit and just found one more skimmer.

Decided to get my big rod out and do a bit more distance casting practice in my quest to reach my 80 mtr quest (my guess as to how far the point of an island was on this lake).

Previous best was hitting the clip at 70 mtrs everytime and struggling to go any further. Friday after repeating my 70mtr casts on a regular basis I added another 5 mtrs on and Eureka!!! hit the clip 3 out of 3 casts to the point of an island I'd been trying to reach. 75 mtrs in a crosswind.

Anyone who remembers first starting to distance cast, will have set themselves goals, and remember that feeling you get when you achieve one of them.

Caught a small carp and a skimmer at 75mtrs. 2 fish from 3 casts.

Feeling elated and wishing I had a Hamlet Cigar, I decided to put away the big rod and relax now as my day was perfect.

Got out my 2 small rod rests, one with a bite alarm on, and chucked a small tea bag filled with a few small hard pellets and a piece of fake corn on the hook over to my far right side. No one was fishing there and it had been nice and quiet all morning. Result was 5 nice carp ranging from abot 5-8 pounds.

What a difference 2 days can make and made even sweeter when I later found out most folk had struggled to catch on the complex that particular day.

Perfick!