When a water screams “fish me”

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I failed to get onto the bank this morning at my usual venue despite all my planning having been called in for a breakdown :mad:

To blow off steam before going home I headed to the lake I’ve mentioned before, Castle Lake, which I secured permission to fish late last year but have yet to visit due to the pegs having been blocked off by workmen.

Industrious little elves have been at work though - with no foliage it was relatively easy to follow well trodden paths through the woodland to half a dozen fishable pegs where downed trees have been hauled clear of the waters edge

3B443E30-21CA-4271-ABF3-C4269036D68F.jpeg

B4197460-606C-4E96-83EB-873425343539.jpeg

With whispers of monster tench lurking within the shallow expanses I may have spent a little time googling rake heads and rope as well as every video I can find on chasing the doctor fish since I’ve been home ;)

Karl

Silver fan 82

I failed to get onto the bank this morning at my usual venue despite all my planning having been called in for a breakdown :mad:

To blow off steam before going home I headed to the lake I’ve mentioned before, Castle Lake, which I secured permission to fish late last year but have yet to visit due to the pegs having been blocked off by workmen.

Industrious little elves have been at work though - with no foliage it was relatively easy to follow well trodden paths through the woodland to half a dozen fishable pegs where downed trees have been hauled clear of the waters edge

3B443E30-21CA-4271-ABF3-C4269036D68F.jpeg

B4197460-606C-4E96-83EB-873425343539.jpeg

With whispers of monster tench lurking within the shallow expanses I may have spent a little time googling rake heads and rope as well as every video I can find on chasing the doctor fish since I’ve been home ;)

Karl
That does look good for a fish or two mate!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
It’s a weird story:

Belonged to a club - Alders - maybe 20yrs ago and apparently it was legendary for massIve bream shoals, double figure tench as well as monster carp in the 30’s & 40’s and huge pike.

For some reason the site was sold with the land going to Whitbread breweries and the lakes to a private individual - after that it‘s gradually declined to where it is now.

Apparently only 2’-5’ deep now as silt has built up to maybe 4’ across its entirety and it’s allegedly been stripped of carp, who knows what’s happened to the bream, no one fishes for the tench - a heck of a lot fish it for the pike as there’s a lot in there by all accounts.

A bit of warm weather and the weed explodes choking it up.

Worth a go if I can ever get a bit of free time

Silver fan 82

It’s a weird story:

Belonged to a club - Alders - maybe 20yrs ago and apparently it was legendary for massIve bream shoals, double figure tench as well as monster carp in the 30’s & 40’s and huge pike.

For some reason the site was sold with the land going to Whitbread breweries and the lakes to a private individual - after that it‘s gradually declined to where it is now.

Apparently only 2’-5’ deep now as silt has built up to maybe 4’ across its entirety and it’s allegedly been stripped of carp, who knows what’s happened to the bream, no one fishes for the tench - a heck of a lot fish it for the pike as there’s a lot in there by all accounts.

A bit of warm weather and the weed explodes choking it up.

Worth a go if I can ever get a bit of free time
Should be interesting to see how it fishes.

baggy

Mark Saunders
If you are after the tench I recommend some early morning/dusk water watching, they will always show themselves whether it be porpoising (moving fish) or tail slapping topping fish (feeding fish). If you find tail slapping fish, try to find 7ft of water if possible and you shouldn’t go far wrong

i wouldn’t use luncheon meat for tench, I would probably just feed micros this time of year with double/triple dead maggot or a single piece of corn on the hook

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If you are after the tench I recommend some early morning/dusk water watching, they will always show themselves whether it be porpoising (moving fish) or tail slapping topping fish (feeding fish). If you find tail slapping fish, try to find 7ft of water if possible and you shouldn’t go far wrong

i wouldn’t use luncheon meat for tench, I would probably just feed micros this time of year with double/triple dead maggot or a single piece of corn on the hook
Max depth 4’ due to silt deposition - worth raking a swim though I think

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Is that a chair i see underneath the water in the 1st pic ?

It certainly is (y)

As you find a new swim you find new treasures - shopping trolley in one, bmx bike in another, couple of car wheels in a third.

It‘s fishing with added bonus round of “spot the obstruction” :ROFLMAO:

baggy

Mark Saunders
Max depth 4’ due to silt deposition - worth raking a swim though I think
That should been fine, a lot of the tench venues I’ve fished in the past are deep but 7ft seems to be the perfect depth for feeding tench. Everything else I posted about topping fish is still relevant

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Popped to a Wickes earlier for a pair of rakes - handles off tomorrow and a spot of welding. Chain, shackles and rope from stores and good to jolly well go.

After much video watching a mix of hemp, sweetcorn, casters and micros in on top of the raked swim then Option 1 is a method with micros & dead reds on the hook. Option 2 is float fished dead reds or sweet corn on the hook.

Even of the tench don’t play there’s a chance of bream on the same kit

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Popped to a Wickes earlier for a pair of rakes - handles off tomorrow and a spot of welding. Chain, shackles and rope from stores and good to jolly well go.

After much video watching a mix of hemp, sweetcorn, casters and micros in on top of the raked swim then Option 1 is a method with micros & dead reds on the hook. Option 2 is float fished dead reds or sweet corn on the hook.

Even of the tench don’t play there’s a chance of bream on the same kit
somewhere or the other on a thread, I gave a description of our clubs most used weedcutters for the canal

made out of two old handsaws, a bit of tube and a tad of lead,

just plain rakes are hard work, its easier to cut the weed than to drag it out by the roots

OldTaff

Site Supporter
somewhere or the other on a thread, I gave a description of our clubs most used weedcutters for the canal

made out of two old handsaws, a bit of tube and a tad of lead,

just plain rakes are hard work, its easier to cut the weed than to drag it out by the roots
I’ll have a look for that Mick