Wheel clampers to be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10993473

Wheel clampers are to be banned from operating on private land in England and Wales, the government has said.

The legislation, to be introduced in November, will result in anyone clamping a vehicle or towing it away on private land facing tougher penalties.

The planned legislation, announced by the Home Office, will be introduced in the government's Freedom Bill in November and will come into force shortly after Royal Assent.

More than 2,000 existing clamping licences will be revoked as a result, with towing away also set to be outlawed.

Only police or councils will be allowed to immobilise or remove a car in exceptional circumstances, such as a vehicle blocking a road.

Tougher penalites could include fines or even jail terms

Hopefully this will end the clamper of the scumbag varity who do nothing but rob anyone they clamp & take away, which is usually done in a completely snide and underhand way[:T]

Anyone had any dealings with the above??

lurkio

A little dab'll do
Swings and roundabouts.

What will happen to drivers who park on private property?

Somewhere in between may have been a better idea - regulated clampers with maximum penalites and a binding operating code maybe?

rodring

Account Locked
i'ts been banned in scotland for years i think it's classed as depriving people of their rightful property. to many cowboys got in on the act and saw a way to make a quick buck.

matty67

hablando espanol
O yes, city center Manchester last year was a nightmare with clampers waiting around every corner, my wife was clamped one day last December next to a meter which had ran out 6 minutes before she got back to the car. My 17 yr old son went over the road to a building site and borrowed a hefty lump hammer, two good swings was all it took, hey presto, no more clamp.
Still never heard a thing from the clampers, police or council. Probably another cowboy outfit. I welcome this new legislation...

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Clamping used to be free entertainment when my lass Shez worked on Riverside Estate, I used to go and collect her in the evenings cus there was no bus service (typical balls up) and I used to enjoy seeing all the fit healthy people get their cars clamped for parking in disabled bays despite there being huge signs alongside the parking bays warnning them off it.

Worst offenders were the people with the big posh cars ie BMW, Mercs etc. I saw one woman try and drive off with the clamp still on her front wheel, she was oblivious to the fact shed been done. I mean how do you miss a huge lump of bright yellow metal attached to your car?

But I do think rather than ban it completely there should have been something brought in akin to the SATA system for security personnel, with certification and proper identities and the rest.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Worst offenders were the people with the big posh cars ie BMW, Mercs etc.

Especially those who drive the Hairdressers Alpina versions, scum of normal society don't you think[:D]

Last edited:

Col7777

Do any of you remember that guy who foiled the clampers, he worked out a way of getting the clamp off the wheel without damaging the clamp or the wheel?
The trouble was he advertised how he done it so the clampers modified the clamps plus I'm not sure whether he still had to pay the fine because he revealed he was illegally parked.

methodgob

yoda
So if you have a persitent offender who parks on your private land now, there's nothing you can do?
At one time you could erect signs and clamp them and charge a release fee. Now all you can do is ask them to move.So it'll be a free for all on any bit of spare land.
Not a good idea.
There was nothing wrong with the system as it was.If you parked in accordance with the rules there was no problem.

keith74

THFC
Originally posted by methodgob

There was nothing wrong with the system as it was.If you parked in accordance with the rules there was no problem.
nothing wrong? i,ve seen some nice man clamp an ambulance that was picking up a disabled child to take to his day carecentre. not an emergency ambulance but the mini bus type, still had ambulance stamped all over it though. I,ve been clamped 3 times in my van whilst collecting a permit to park from the flat i was working in(90 secs max). Nope nothing wrong with that

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Scott, the real problem was the issue of explanatory notices not being in a prominent position and not giving details of the charges which could be incurred, if the clamping firms had been registered with a reasonable charge for release I doubt there would have been much fuss about them, but some firms were charging exorbitant amounts, one clamping company charged over 500 for clamping, towing away (a truck was always waiting round the corner) and a minimum of 7 days storage (even if the vehicle was in storage for one day)

No issue with clamps being used in some situations, i.e. cars parking in disabled bays without entitlement.

As has been stated in Scotland they have legislated against the clampers.

methodgob

yoda
I just think a blanket ban is open to abuse the other way now.
Some middle ground would have been the ideal solution.
Obviously clamping glorified taxi ambulances whilst collecting/dropping off is extremely dubious conduct.
and Keith says he was away 90 seconds maximum, how fast are these clampers?[:0][:0][;)]Surely he would have returned while they were in mid fix with the correct permit and the clamp not fitted? Or am I naive in thinking it should be that simple?

matty67

hablando espanol

Obviously clamping glorified taxi ambulances whilst collecting/dropping off is extremely dubious conduct.
and Keith says he was away 90 seconds maximum, how fast are these clampers?[:0][:0][;)]Surely he would have returned while they were in mid fix with the correct permit and the clamp not fitted? Or am I naive in thinking it should be that simple?

The clamps are on and their away within 90 secs no problem.

steak

Left hand drawer
All Private clampers are supposed to be licensed through the SIA under the Private Security Industry Act.

Remember that local authority etc. clampers are not.

If there are issues with a private firms activities, why are their licences not suspended ?

Reading the latest "news" it is cowboy clampers that are the problem, but no one seems to take into account the "fully legit" companies out there are going to be forced to close as well.

Another thing that confuses me is that if the company holds an SIA licence to clamp vehicles, it is authorised to do so via an Act of Parliament.

Surely it will require the Private Security Act to be revoked to close these companies down, at least until their licences were due for renewal.

Steak.

keith74

THFC

they get them on in about ten secs mate. seen them in action. obviously now whenever i,m on one of those estates the customer has to bring the permit to the van. Not ideal for 90 year olds in the snow and ice though[:(]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wonder if we will be getting refunds on the 300 licences the previous government forced us to buy??

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam

Not a good idea.

Hmmm sooo there was nothing wrong with the system as it was eh??
So you would say that THIS is NOT WRONG then??

This is shear exploitation!!!

methodgob

yoda
Obviously that is.
She had the permit, was in the correct bay, they had no justification to clamp her.Clampers were obviously trying it on.

That's what wants regulating.

However someone moaning because they've been clamped when they've overstayed,incorrectly parked, not got a parking permit,deserve all they get.As for the release fees,if unregulated then yes, it's your business, charge what you can!

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Oh yeah I'll definately go along with the ones that try and pull a quick "freebie" on private land but as you say it does need regulation not a complete ban, and it could go the exact opposite as a result, I've seen some get clamped on the Riverside car park when parking in the disabled bays when other parking spaces are free, and then when they find they've been clamped do a benny at the people who clamped them. The clampers do everything to record why they clamp them, right down to taking photos of the vehicle and its location.
Whats more they cant say they didnt know cus there's big signs up alongside every bay warning them of the consequenses of parking there without the blue badge indicating disabled person on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.