What's your favourite 90s > present light/finesse waggler rod?

Albert H

I'm really liking my DAM Carboron & Daiwa TDSM13W Matchlite for Canal work, as I feel every movement from tiny Roach & Skimmers, and they're a dream to use with hooklengths under 1ib.

They're both 90s rods as far as I'm aware.

What's your favourite past or present, and are there any underdogs worth a mention that are hidden gems?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Browning Sphere Hotrods Silvers Edition, or a Normark Microlite (early MK2) if I need the extra length.

david white

Site Supporter
Microlight 2000 12 ft for canal or any silvers work
Cadence 11 ft #1 for up in the water light waggler work especially if chance of a bonus fish muscling in

( used to use an original Normark microlight 14 ft on the Thames when 12oz bottoms and size 20s were the norm in clear water conditions )

feldri

Site Supporter
Team Normark Microlite 2000 match 13ft for silvers and if I go for bream or tench a Team Normark Titan 2000 match 13ft. Both 30 years old and still going strong.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Normark Microlite, all of the versions are decent rods, with some variations in power, I still like the original for really light hooklengths and the MKII for bream and the odd bonus fish. I can remember getting my hands in one of the first Microlites and was amazed at how it performed with 12oz and 1lb hooklengths. They soon became a common sight on the Somerset match scene, which was mainly dominated by skimmers, bream and roach.

frankg

Site Supporter
Not sure if it's 90's or 80's......a Dave Harrell 13' ST (the one with the 2' extension to take it to 15')....not strictly a waggler rod I suppose, as it's a spliced tip, but I use it for both stick and waggler. It's fantastic for Dace, Grayling and Roach....have also caught Chub to 5lb on it! Beautiful action :)

nejohn

Site Supporter
Some real quality rods around in those days for light line fishing, some of my favourites where
Daiwa Conny spliced tip, Daiwa amorphous light, Shimano triple X spliced tip, Normark microlight 2000, Shimano diaflash, silstar matchteam, Milo new era powerlite. Tri-cast sovereign. But for real light line fishing the image mark pollard canal rod or the Tri-cast Vinny Smith canal rod took some beating. They have all passed through my hands over the years and if it wasn't for a couple of thefts I would probably still have them all. I have replaced some but have not been able to find a Mark Pollard or a triple xxs in good condition for sensible money

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm really liking my DAM Carboron & Daiwa TDSM13W Matchlite for Canal work, as I feel every movement from tiny Roach & Skimmers, and they're a dream to use with hooklengths under 1ib.

Still gets used and a very light and comfy rod to use, dug this out of my collection of 'go to' rods. Team Daiwa Tom Pickering Connoisseur Whisker.

1569658092954.png

1569658185076.png

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
But for real light line fishing the image mark pollard canal rod or the Tri-cast Vinny Smith canal rod took some beating. They have all passed through my hands over the years and if it wasn't for a couple of thefts I would probably still have them all. I have replaced some but have not been able to find a Mark Pollard or a triple xxs in good condition for sensible money

Try the Browning Sphere Hotrods. I know folks that have been in a similar position to you that have gone for the Sphere and then forgotten about the Pollard and Smith rods.

BoldBear

I still sometimes use my 1990s 13ft Diawa Amorphous Whisker Float rod (AMW13L) and it still looks and performs as good as new.

At 5 and a half oz It’s only an ounce heavier than my 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra (including it’s varnished finish which my Ultra doesn’t have). It is also a beautifully balanced rod, it also has a fine narrow blank which is about the same thickness as my Ultra too.

Plus it handles hooklengths as fine as 12oz or even less so is great for hard winter Canal matches, and reel lines up to 3lb-ish plus.

The only draw back is it’s sliding reel fittings, however they don’t slip so this is not a problem.

Keith

Last edited:

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Some real quality rods around in those days for light line fishing, some of my favourites where
Daiwa Conny spliced tip, Daiwa amorphous light, Shimano triple X spliced tip, Normark microlight 2000, Shimano diaflash, silstar matchteam, Milo new era powerlite. Tri-cast sovereign. But for real light line fishing the image mark pollard canal rod or the Tri-cast Vinny Smith canal rod took some beating. They have all passed through my hands over the years and if it wasn't for a couple of thefts I would probably still have them all. I have replaced some but have not been able to find a Mark Pollard or a triple xxs in good condition for sensible money

I bought a Shimano triple X spliced tip rod just last year, paid the grand sum of £20 for it, what a lovely rod to use

My go to and still favourite rod is my Leeda 7000 series spliced tip rod, fantastic bit of kit and still fish's brilliantly

Simon R

Site Supporter
If we're sticking to rods that were purely sold as waggler rods I'd go for my Acolyte Ultra 14', slightly ahead of the Amorphous Whisker Waggler Special (AWM 13W) - although I've probably used my spliced tip Daiwa Connoisseur more than either for light waggler work (only 'cos I've owned it longer) and it has the perfect action for small silvers.
And not forgetting my 12' Billy Knott Match Special (Fibatube blank, exact copy of the Hardy rod but £20 cheaper) - my first carbon rod (1980 or thereabouts) which has accounted for more fish than all my other float rods put together.

Simon