Whats your brand?

rudd

Site Supporter
Christmas 1999 due to be married April 2000 with big expensive honeymoon to Mauritius the inlaws bought me and fiancee a Canon EOS 500N (Silver and black) 35mm kit.
Came with Canon bag, canon strap, batteries, film and two EF lenses of 28-80mm and 80-200mm.
Nice kit to have at the time and so good Canon became our camera manufacturer of choice.

Around 2003 after our first child came along we went digital with both Canons and the worlds first sub £1000 DSLR the Canon 300D.
A no brainer as it can accept New EFS lenses and EF lenses and came with an 18-55mm EFS lense.
A later add on was the battery grip underneath that doubled up batteries and gave extra control when side shooting.

2006 Wife hauling around two children and wanted something small - purchased a Canon IXUS 750 and case - lovely little piece of kit.

Last week youngest started college and one subject is photography. Before this she knew her stuff passing GCSE photography.
She has an inherited Panasonic lumix FZ72 X60 Bridge camera and a borrowed BNANR Vilia (Russian 35mm) but the 35mm is not digital and the Panasonic is a pig to use (Father in law had on a tripod mount for distance birding pictures).
Also does alot with iPhone 11 and attachments (fish eye / macro)

Once she understands all the settings and how to use wants to use the 500N 35mm - no problem.
For two weeks has used 300D minus the grip but it is old, slowish and has no instant wifi transfer or video capacity plus hugh great memory cards that will not fit her mac.

When she bets home tonight ghere is a brand spanking Canon 250D waiting for her.
Reward for passing all GCSE at high level and compensation for missing Berlin trip / Prom and last big family holiday in Mexico - oh covid!
It takes both EF and EFS lenses, has small SD card, instant wifi to smart phone transfer, 4K video, flip out hinged !cd screen etc etc.

Did look at Nikon D5600 but nothing in it v. the 250D and also took long look at mirrorless.
Fuji and Sony offerings better than Canon / Nikon with mirrorless.
Another factor is the colleges has alot of its own Canon EF and EFS lenses.

So there it is - we like Canon and I expect alot like Nikon!

Whats your brand and why?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I used to be an Praktica & Olympus user with film with a TL 3 as my first SLR and an OM1 as my second... then I got offered an OM10 at a knockdown price with a pair of Olympus mount sigma tele and wide angle lenses... once digital came along I was given a few cheap and nasty point and shoot cameras but for my 50th my lass bought me a Nikon D40 with the stock lens and a 200mm zoom... simce then I have added the 18-200mm to save swapping about between two lenses... that said the 18-200 loses a bit of definition at full length but I can live with it.... and again nowadays with the cameras on smartphones getting better I rarely use the Nikon as the phone is always in my pocket

squimp

Site Supporter
One of my good fishing mates is a top pro photographer and he still uses Canon stuff. He has been courted by Nikon for the last few years but has stayed with Canon.

on a recent (early March) foreign trip an American mate of his turned up with a new top of the range Sony. They ended up fishing together as the Yank couldn’t fish very well or work his camera, that way Matt could give him lessons. As it turned out the fishing was rubbish so he took lots of pics to test the camera. By the end of the week he was convinced that the Sony was better than his top of the range Canons. He now owns the Sony.

Personally my interest in taking photographs myself has dwindled over the past 15 years - probably because I have an inferiority complex from fishing with one of the best ! His pictures are SO good, I can’t compete.

I loved my Pentax film cameras, then moved to Canon SLRs and recently tried (still have) A Fuji mirrorless set up. I’ve not really enjoyed a camera since my Pentax MX and then ME super. I must flog the Fuji set-up.

I now only carry a decent Panasonic compact most of the time. It takes good fish shots if I really need them - but I take very few fish pics these days. I caught a pretty big perch yesterday, I weighed it but didn’t take a picture.

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes Fuji and Sony mirrorless seem to be ahead of Nikon and Canon.
I dont take many fish pictures any more but if I do use an i phone 10

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Not much into photography, but the digi cameras I've had have been Panasonic, as it's a company I know and trust, no other reason.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My 1st proper camera was a Pentax but soon moved over to Nikon and used them in various guises both with work and for personal use since about 1980, I currently have an old F2 35mm and a D800. But I also have a Panasonic lumix which slips in my pocket which is very good, however since getting the Sony Xperia 1 mk2 the compact camera is now almost redundant as it is the probably the best camera I have used in a phone

roachy

My brand of choice is Nikon, purely because the first camera i bought around 3 years ago was a Nikon d7100, when upgrading it didnt make sense to invest in new lenses when i had lenses that were good enough already for what i need.
My current camera is a Nikon d810