What's The Smallest Rod You Use?

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I have ice fishing rods for fixed spool reels less that a foot long, but the shortest ordinary rod is a 7 ft Dragon Fishmaker II light jig rod.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
6ft 6 ugly stick travel spinning rod but never used it here and only used it a little bit in the US for kayak fishing and backyard canal fishing as it’s just too short for using from a boat or any shore spot than needs any sort of proper cast.

For coarse fishing I’ve never had shorter than 10ft, just don’t see the point on venues I fish as casting and line control is just not there with 10ft ones compared to longer let alone shorter. Very rare that I’ll use feeder rods shorter than 11ft or float rods less than 13 ft really. My best spinning rod action wise is an 8-9ft but unfortunately it’s far better at 9ft than 8ft. The action it’s got at 9ft in a 8ft rod would be perfect as can lose a bit of feel with 9ft rods and they are tricky for very short casts but then go shorter much than 8ft and such rods becomes a bit of a short range only tool casting and striking wise. 7ft 6 spinning rods are nice but you don’t see many in this part of the world which is odd given most of our boat rods are 7ft 6.

SteveAmo

The infamous Dave of Middlewich Bite Finder tip rod came with a dummy butt which meant it could be used at 6ft and was great for the likes of Rudyard Lake and River Weaver.

Not many of these rods come up for sale on the secondhand market, if you ever see one just buy it, as they had and still remain a cult status rod in the north west.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
7ft F1 feeder, and a Margin Carp Feeder of the same length

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Mine is a 5ft solid fibreglass ultra light lure rod I bought in the USA in 1980.

The kids used it in the UK when they started fishing and I used it myself when I restarted fishing as a second rod to fish the margins. I think the biggest fish I had on it was an 11lbish carp.

I did use it once last year to catch a few small trout in the tiny town pool.

DSC05764.jpg

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Not many rods to choose from as yet, but the 10ft Supera feeder is the shortest I currently have.

D

Deleted member 23692

Shortest is my fox rage warrior ultralight at 6’10”

Otherwise Preston Wandzee at 7’ got two of those, one with a pin and the other with a fixed spool.

D

Deleted member 24902

All my rods are twelve foot. I did have the Winfield/Woolworths fisihng set as a kid so i guess it was that ( i think it was around 6ft)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
6’ 6” Shimano spinning rod (1-7g) for all my small lure and drop shot fishing - got it from a fellow Drowner - and it’s beautiful with a little Cadence reel on board.

Not just my rod though as it seems to be a family rod.

Have used it on the Medway, Mon-Brecon canal and for LRF all over the place on hols and along the North Kent coast - my wife has caught corkwing wrasse on it (her first and only fish) plus Jacob has had perch and tiny pollack with it too.

Takes up no space in the car and lives in there ever ready for spontaneous dangling.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
8 foot 2 (I think) Daiwa Tourney AGS lure rod, 8 foot Browning Black Magic tip rod that is my small river / stream rod and a 9 foot Okuma Carbonite float rod that also gets used on small overgrown rivers, streams & small ponds that are a long walk & overgrown. Oh and three 9 foot Sonik Insurgents that I use for carp & pike fishing.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Browning Commercial King F1 picker which is 7ft.

Bronsin

Most of my rods are between 7' to 8' 6". The shortest is an Ultralite Ugly Stick at 5'. Although I do have a 6' 3" Musky rod that will hoist a cinder block LOL.

jimmcd

12' & 13' are my usual lengths, 10' on rare occasions ledger only. I have a 7' Daiwa spinning rod that I've never used, the smallest in my growing collection. It was a great length for chasing brownies in a small overgrown river. The rods I actually used for that though were the 7' solid glass Woolies specials teamed with a Mitchell 206, you never see similar these days.

Fred Davis

Years ago I had a browning 6ft winklepicker apart from the quiver tip the rod had no action at all stiff as a poker, what achange from modern rods today my shortest rod is a browning 8ft commercial king rod and it's a fantastic bit of kit

stikflote

Site Supporter
9ft Tri Cast power wand its a delightful rod had a few low doubles on it

SeanB

Site Supporter
8'2" Garbolino picker, quite a soft rod that is soooooo much fun with even a modest sized fish on - defiantly worth the £30 it cost.