What's The Smallest Rod You Use?

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
In these days of 16mtr plus poles and 17 - 20 foot rods it's sometimes a pleasant change to fish with something smaller.

I've a number of 'short' rods, but my favourites are a 5 foot Berkley Lightening LR220-5UL rod which I picked up on a trip to America. I've float fished with it, legered with it, and lure fished with it. It's a through action which just bends forever and it is capable of handling some serious fish. This Snapping Turtle, caught while float fishing, gave it its toughest test to date....

m9TOR3F.jpg

My other favourite is a little 3 foot long Thumbs Up telescopic 'pen' rod that sits in the glove box of my car. Great to slip in my pocket along with a 1000 size reel and a couple of lures when I go out for a walk and am likely to pass by a likely looking pool. Cracking fun for very light lure fishing, but wouldn't like to connect with anything bigger than 8oz though!

What's the shortest rod you use?

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got a 5' Zebco - specifically the 4079 S Med Action - pistol grip type spinning rod with a closed face reel that sits on top of the rod with a trigger release.
Bought from either Walmart or K-Mart somewhere in California for the princely sum of about $10 for a set consisting of the rod, reel, a spool of 20lb BS braid and a couple of cheap spinners.
Don't use it very often and to date have caught only two fish on it - both jacks about 3lb each - it bent alarmingly so I'm loath to use it on venues where I might catch something bigger - I've got a proper 6' Shakespeare Sigma for those situations. That was also bought in the states - and other than lure fishing was used to catch two dozen carp up to 5lb from Lake Mead near Las Vegas.

Simon

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
6ft 6 ugly stick travel spinning rod but never used it here and only used it a little bit in the US for kayak fishing and backyard canal fishing as it’s just too short for using from a boat or any shore spot than needs any sort of proper cast.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use an 8' cane Gudgeon rod and a 7' lightcaster for small rivers...
I did harbour licentious thoughts of a pair of 6' Dwarf carp rods, but only for novelty value

62tucker

Site Supporter
I got a couple of kayak rods. 2 or 3 foot I think.
Impulse buy 🤷‍♂️ But have used them on pier when after coleys

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Smallest I use nowadays is 9’. IE … a 9 - 11’ beastmaster. Think I’ve a 7’ winkle picker somewhere but, I’ve not used that in 30 years.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
@tipitinmick
Fixed that for you 😉

Smallest I use nowadays is 9’. IE … a 9 - 11’ beastmaster. Think I’ve a 7 inch winkle picker somewhere but, I’ve not used that in 30 years.
🤣🤣🤣. I’d be happy with that in this cold weather. I hope Mrs Munch isn’t reading this thread. 🤣🤣

62tucker

Site Supporter
I have a couple of 8ft Shakespeare Mach 1 I think they are. Strong enough for carp up to 10lb. Ideal when I used to share a peg with my son.
Pay for 2 pegs but dump gear in one and fish other. And used to net each other’s fish.
Happy memories Happy days

BoldBear

I have a light Fox Rage dropshot rod of around 6.5ft plus three light spinning rods of differing casting ratings from around 6ft up to around 9ft Max.

I wouldn’t use a very short float rod unless I were fishing for tiddlers virtually underneath my rod tip; as casting a light waggler any distance in any water deeper than about 3ft to 4ft; and picking up the line off the surface and striking; plus trying to control any decent sized fish must be a nightmare with a short float rod especially if there is also any weed and lilies in the area.

Keith

Last edited:

George Jones

Smallest I use nowadays is 9’. IE … a 9 - 11’ beastmaster. Think I’ve a 7’ winkle picker somewhere but, I’ve not used that in 30 years.
I have a 7' winkle picker somewhere. I'm going to have a look for it tomorrow. A great little rod at the time. I can't remember the numbers but a pal of mine who had a tackle shop at the time reckoned it was his best ever selling rod.