What's the craic then?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
On write ups and documenting a session with photos?

We have the 'no photo then it didn't happen' thinkers.
We have the people readily asking for them in reports to come.
We have people that like to include them to add to the report.
We have those that frown upon it and feel people that do it are boasting by doing so, not just with photos but in documenting the session full stop.

My opinion is that where you fished today would be a poor old section without them and the forum overall too in cases, despite the written words of a good many who go to the effort, is good writing/reading alone.

I would kind of understand it, if this was a case of someone just ramming the same thing in every section of the forum to do exactly that (self promotion), but often it's not and for me people's illustrated session reports are one of the best things on here, next only to getting to know some other anglers may be.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
On write ups and documenting a session with photos?

We have the 'no photo then it didn't happen' thinkers.
We have the people readily asking for them in reports to come.
We have people that like to include them to add to the report.
We have those that frown upon it and feel people that do it are boasting by doing so, not just with photos but in documenting the session full stop.

My opinion is that where you fished today would be a poor old section without them and the forum overall too in cases, despite the written words of a good many who go to the effort, is good writing/reading alone.

I would kind of understand it, if this was a case of someone just ramming the same thing in every section of the forum to do exactly that (self promotion), but often it's not and for me people's illustrated session reports are one of the best things on here, next only to getting to know some other anglers may be.
I always post a brief write up, of my matches -good or bad ! And like to put photos, I do it on Instagram and Facebook as well, people don’t have to read it , if they don’t wish to 💁‍♂️And as for what they think of me - I’m not bothered 😂I enjoy reading other’s posts of their session/match 💁‍♂️

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I'm not gonna bother with catch photos, see threads on here and there's always some negative nelly with something to say.

If I get a PB might post something but then just unsubscribe from the thread.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Unfortunately in a world of Top Trumps I am very sceptical when anglers post they have caught this and that and yet won't post a photo.
Yes some waters have a no publicity policy but that's an easy excuse and a photo can be taken without a backdrop.

You only have to read on this forum how many have caught near to or 2lb Roach yet I'm not seeing many photos of what for many is the holy grail.

Same could be said with match weight evidence - obtaining that and displaying it in today's media world has no excuse not to.

Zerkalo

It's the closest you can get to Vlogging with photos in a report and a nice write up. Obviously Vlogging not for everyone same as some don't like to include photos or do a big write up. It's good to hear how people got on.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Nice to hear and see Zerks i think, like chefster said, people don't have to listen or look, but will always be those just looking for an opportunity, same could be said of any post, it will be the same people i suspect. Hope people keep it up, as i said good to see the fruits of people's efforts and share their enjoyment.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I very rarely take photos of fish I catch. Unless there is something exceptional or noteworthy then I don't see the point. I know what I have caught and know what a fish looks like.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm not gonna bother with catch photos, see threads on here and there's always some negative nelly with something to say.

If I get a PB might post something but then just unsubscribe from the thread.
Do you hide in corners with a box of tissues just in case someone says something that might be upsetting?
Seriously, MD's isn't Facey, we seldom get keyboard warriors, but if you get some negativity then respond to it, don't hide away and don't let it impact on yours and others enjoyment of the site.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I really enjoy reading people's reports on here and I hope some people enjoy my ramblings as well. Reading about a session is almost the closest thing to going fishing itself maybe videos aside. I think if you write well in an engaging easy reading way (eg not long winded waffly ex law student style like me!) then you don't need photos but I do think photos generally elevate reports by adding that visual aspect and make you feel closer to them action so to speak. That said I would certainly never distrust reports without photos. I personally write my reports as honestly as my memory and perception allows and just trust that others do the same. I highly doubt many people are deliberately deceptive as before kidding anyone else they'd be kidding themselves which is a pretty sad thing to do.

Despite taking loads of fish photos now before I joined the forum I hardly took any fish photos simply because I didn't really have anyone to share them with seeing as I don't have serious anglers amongst my friends. I've always taken pictures of the scenery when fishing as everyone appreciates a nice waterscape but you're average non angler has no real interest in being shown all but the most impressive fish photo so I just rarely bothered taking them pre forum and certainly haven't kept many. Genuinely reckon I could recall almost every fish photo pre a couple years ago there were that few. By contrast now since I've been on here my phones full of them!

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Do you hide in corners with a box of tissues just in case someone says something that might be upsetting?

I'm actually the other way, likely to respond in a way that'll get me banned (especially if i've had a few tinnies :LOL:) . So i try not to put myself in those situations :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
@Northantslad Was there something specific or a comment made that prompted this thread in the first place? I've had a look though various threads but couldn't see anything.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I post my river exploits, catching or not, I like to keep it brief as a wall of words just puts me off personally, some nice photos, minimal writing, take it or leave it.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I dont regular points of interest nearly enough to post / document sessions, but if I do visit commercials especially and have good sessions then I definitely prefer to add pictures, purely because I dont want to be seen as exaggerating my catch rates. I also find myself more inclined to read session reports if the OP has added pictures too. Not because I'm sceptical, but because I find the post more relatable based on it being more visually appealing.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I like to read the exploits of other anglers on here, whether it’s a @chefster esque summary and a few pics of how tidy his peg is, or a full on blog a la @Maesknoll or @G0zzer2 .

Pics are great but not essential for me.

When I joined the forum I wrote accounts of pretty much all my pleasure sessions, with pics, and got loads of really helpful tips and advice.

Now I’ve started fishing matches I can’t take fish pics, but I still write a summary of my match, still get loads of advice and encouragement. It’s good to know that people enjoy reading my stuff, but it’s just as much for me to be able to look back on.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I like reading reports and seeing photos of other peoples catches . I mean to take photos myself , but when I’m on the river , which is usually an afternoon / evening session , I tend to get lost in my fishing and forget, or it gets too late and dark to take a decent photo.
When I go to fish a match, I leave my phone in the van as I don’t want any distractions or risk dropping it in the water. So I’m sorry to say you won’t get much in the way of photos from me, although I will try and make an effort in the future.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I love reading some of the write-ups, especially if there are a few pics to set the scene. This can be a match report or a pleasure session. The pictures are not essential though as some people have a way with words when telling the tale. Some people like to ramble but the fact they have taken the time to post is good enough and can be a good read...... Maybe it's something I should do once in a while?