whats the bes gig/festival you have been too

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlon

As its festival time.I thought i would start be asking whats the best gig/band concert festival you have been too.

I have done Download this yr,it was fantastic.
Seen loads of great bands hard to single out a particular gig,all fantastic in there own way..

Worse gig Black Crows 1991 Blackburn St Georges hall...Pants..

No boy bands please;;; wastlife, boyz one...You know the score..

Cheers

Marlon.[:W]

Super ted

CRABKATCHA
Probably my most memorable gig was orbital at glastonbury. I say memorable but I can't think what year it was, probably 98/99. It was amazing, and the highlight of my festival.
Other brilliant gigs are, Rahzel-human beat box who can make s tune and sing at the same time!
Jungle brothers-did there encoure at the circular stage at NEC on a BMX, one riding on the back, proper funny!
Liberators-acid techno djing brothers on a boat in Southampton.

Worst gig, and it still annoys me now. Aphex twin. Wanted to seehim live more than anything at the time and had bought most his albums and eps. Got to the ace and the night went ahead but he never turned up. Apparently he does this a lot.

One other amazing gig I just remembered. Freqnasty. If your into dance music or break beat this guy has to be the king of high energy beats. I saw him twice at custard factory Brum and he plays 100+ records in an hours set. Just picks the best break out of each tune and relentlessly yet smoothly mixes one into another. Absolute madness, your just a big sweaty mess at the end and he has the coolest hair too! Check him out on myspce....

whorlicks

went to see pink floyd the pulse in earls court .. best thing ever .. even if you did't follow the music the show was out of this world..
worst gig ,...er showaddwaddy ..yer i know it was the late 70s .. really cheesey

kevb

was 'bigkevb'
two favourite festivals

monsters of rock '96
KISS and Ozzy Osbourne - Joint Headliners
Sepultura
Marilyn Manson
Biohazard
Dog Eat Dog
Paradise Lost
Fear Factory

didnt enjoy the under card but seeing ozzy then kiss [:T][:T]

my first monsters of rock '94
Aerosmith
Extreme
Sepultura
Pantera
Therapy?
Pride & Glory

the concert that sticks in my mind is toxic twins tower ball
aerosmith
lenny kravitz
stereophonics
black crowes
3 colours red

rawww

Been to all the big uk festivals and heres what i think...

V festival western park - Kiddies pop/indie festival with alot of coperate tickets given away to rich business men and their families, never really had a great time at V, too many rules/hitlers there.

Glasto - Dont like alot of the main bands they seem to put on here, trying to hard to cater for trendy kids these days. Loads of the fringe stuff and smaller bands are great though and decent festival atmosphere.

T in the park - Only been there once about 10 years ago and must admit i only went to get wrecked and didnt see a whole lot of music, great for that though [:D]

Download - The only big proper 'rock' festival, had a few great years there and also a few **** ones. Line up is normally pretty dam good.

Reading festival - Gotta be my favorite one of them all, one of the only ones that let you have campfires in the site and sell the wood which is a massive part of the experience that alot of the other banned, nothing like coming back to the ring of tents after the music and getting the fire on the go to get everyone round. Beats coming back to the tents and it being dark and cold like all the others. Also love the carnivalesque atmosphere there and how everyone gets a bit carried away on the sunday night when alls finished [:D] Been here 7 years running and can only remember about 15 of the 200+ bands ive seen there [;)]. When magic mushrooms were still legal a few years ago and they were selling them there ate a bag of em set the tent up then went wandering, couldnt remember where the tent was just knew it was red so ended up wandering round lost then getting adopted by a group that put me up for the night [:T]

marlon

Good bands I have seen
Metallica
Rush
Audioslave
ChilliPeppers
Queensryche
Staind
Aussie Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Iron Maiden

May more but cant think

Band I want to see

Tool (love em )
Alice in chains
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden

Chickenfoot if they tour..??
All for my bucket list..

Shez

Good bands I have seen in the last few years:-
The Specials @ Leeds last summer & Royal Albert Hall this year have to be up there
The Joy Formidable..... any gig of there's is a good gig but Norwich Arts Xmas party stands out as we ended up drinking til 5am with the band.
The Airborne Toxic Event @ Leeds festival last summer, soooooo pleased they're coming back to the UK this autumn
All the Blood Red Shoes gigs I've been to, how 2 people can make so much noise is beyond me but love em!
Leeds Festival last year was amazing, first time there and glad they've booked some good bands (not many on the main stage mind!) for this years.
The Streets........ just amazing! Love him or hate him but Mike Skinner knows how to entertain. Emerging from the tent @ Wireless last year, clothes just wringing wet and smiling all weekend after that.

Was really impressed with The Tramlines festival in Sheffield last weekend, loads of decent bands, really well organised and best of all it was all FREE :eek:)

Bad gigs:-
Seen a few dodgy support acts but prolly seen just as many really good ones but thats what you expect of supports I s'pose
Only one that really sticks out as a massive let down was Killers @ V last summer, first & last time at V festival, only went to see The Specials again but The Killers were very dissapointed with them.
Others include Kings of Leon & Ridiohead @ Leeds last summer. TBH didn't expect to like Radiohead but stuck around to see if they could change my mind..... they didn't!
Kings of Leon, when you've heard one of their songs you've pretty much heard them all.

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
Good gigs Bowie in Birmingham 70's
Simple minds 2009 brought back some memories
Madness to many times to mention but always a great gig

Bootleg beatles and Aussie Pink floydd both good tribute acts

Bad gigs Ub 40 and OMD both in early eighties

Donfish

'Wot's geet Wilf?
Genesis at Liverpool Empire 1974,they did all of their double album,The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.Used to be a big fan,until
Peter Gabriel left,they then became the 'Phil Collins Band'.Nowt against him though,listen to his brilliant restrained drumming
on The Cinema Show from the album 'Selling England By The Pound'.

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Glastonbury 1991/1992, don't remember much to be honest, all a bit of haze[:D]

Pink Floyd - Earls Court 1994, Division Bell tour, which was absolutely mind blowing.

Seen the Prodigy a fair few times who were fantastic.

bream dream

up the Villa.
Donnington 88,Helloween,G'n'R,Megadeath,Dave Lee Roth,Kiss and the mighty Maiden headlining...fantastic day and one i will never forget.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Knebworth 79, Zeppelin played from 10 at night til gone 2 in the morning, absolutely awesome gig. The first use of lasers at a UK show as well.

Another pretty spectatcular gig was seeing Rockbitch at the Bulldog Bash, I forget which year, but I'll never forget that gig......

CrunchyCaster

Showin me age here...i was at the IOW festival way back then when Hendrix topped the bill. Been to several over the years, including Knebworth three times and Reading, but the Isle of Wight one will always be the best.

Cooky

only been to 1

storming the castle in whitton castle it was great

shallowman

Knebworth 79 - Led Zepplin - Bloody awesome !!!!

Also seen Black Sabbeth , Deep Purple , Rolling stones , T.rex ( loads of times ) AC / DC , Aerosmith , Hawkwind - to name a few.

shallowman

Knebworth 79 - Led Zepplin - Bloody awesome !!!!

Also seen Black Sabbeth , Deep Purple , Rolling stones , T.rex ( loads of times ) AC / DC , Aerosmith , Hawkwind - to name a few.

Cooky

i used to work with a lad that went to between 1-3 gigs a week all over the country

Status
Not open for further replies.