What's the Attraction !

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Does this harm fish ? we all know how sensitive fish are to electricity, is this being picked up along their "lateral line" if someone uses it near by. And how long is the recovery for fish and fishing where this has taken place. In all the articles I have read on this no one ever mentions the fish. Its becoming a regular occurrence on a pond near by us.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Maybe they're after Steelheads. I know...TAXI.

In all fairness, I've never seen/heard of the effect on fish. I can't even find any studies done on it. Some very interesting stuff has been found magnet fishing though according to the vids on Youtube.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Does this harm fish ? we all know how sensitive fish are to electricity, is this being picked up along their "lateral line" if someone uses it near by. And how long is the recovery for fish and fishing where this has taken place. In all the articles I have read on this no one ever mentions the fish. Its becoming a regular occurrence on a pond near by us.

Well, you've peaked my interest on this one, It's an interesting question (to me anyway). I have just fired off an email to the EA to see if any studies have been done on this. I just have to wait now for a reply.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
A mate of mine does it on local waters mostly, he's found lots of junk several knives but his best catch was a lovely little machine gun possibly an uzi in a pond nearby.
I know a sea match angler who would deliberately magnetise his hooks and metal booms as a study proved that some flatfish could detect magnetism from shrimps or prawns and used it to find food.
I doubt fish would suffer unless the magnet hit them when it was chucked in and they seem to manage with weed rakes and ice breakers without too much trouble.
The filter on my old tank was held in place with four Neodymium magnets because the plastic suckers were rubbish and they are the strongest you can get, never bothered the fish at all.

Last edited:

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Well, you've peaked my interest on this one, It's an interesting question (to me anyway). I have just fired off an email to the EA to see if any studies have been done on this. I just have to wait now for a reply.
Yes, was wondering doing the same, so please keep me in the loop as they say .

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fish can detect magnetism and minor electrical signals

there was a fair bit of study into this a while back as far as sharks and rays were concerned

they use receptors in their frontal lobes to pick up signals from thier prey, mainly crabs buried in sand and home in on them

jay67

Site Supporter
OP - if youre that worried about what a magnet does to a fish , dont go sticking hooks in their mouths. and also stop dragging them out of their natural environment

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
OP - if youre that worried about what a magnet does to a fish , dont go sticking hooks in their mouths. and also stop dragging them out of their natural environment

My exact thoughts when I read this post earlier.

I see a lot of ironic criticism and complaints from Anglers in general regarding fish safety as they're yoinking carp after carp out of commercials and such with big hooks, manhandling them out of their natural habitats while I'm just yessing along with them with my mind blown.

This is the best one yet though haha.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I found the question interesting. How long are the fish affected for, if affected at all?. It's a bit like tapping on the glass of a fish tank, in aquatic shops/stores you are asked not to do it...but no explanation as to why? Perhaps if we, as anglers, understood these things, it would make us better in one sense as to our own understanding of our quarry.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The algae scraper on my fish tank is a huge magnet and it doesn’t seem to affect fish very close to it.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
A guy in or near Southampton hoiked out a body that was handcuffed. Apparently the stiff had been cuffed by plod, but done a runner and must have jumped in the drink to hide and was unable to swim with his arms behind his back. They must have given up looking as it was weeks later he was found.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Would harm fish if the mortar bombs or grenades exploded in the water!!!!!