What's the actual benefit of 'hollow' over solid pole elastic or are we being misled?

grey

Site Supporter
Hollow generally stretches more than solid and doesn't tend to bottom out because there's nothing in the middle to compress. Bit too stretchy for my liking, I haven't the patience to just hang on and watch a fish swim freely around the lake waiting till it tires enough for me to pull some excess elastic out the way - when I finally get to that stage, I sometimes have to pull so much out it would make sense to fit a reel to my pole.

Reserve hollow elastics for when catch rate is low and fish are more precious is my advice.

You won't lose a fish on hollow, but sometimes you begin to regret you can't.

davylad

Site Supporter
I don't really get what you mean Grey, I use fairly light hollow at times, and if I hook a bigger fish I just use the pulla as needed to get it in. I, and I'm pretty sure many others certainly don't have the fish swimming where it likes. There's absolutely no need to wait until the fish tires, before tightening up.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Mork, whats the rush? being a Yorkshireman I would expect at least another 5 years from your elastic :p

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I have tried hollo's ( got given some hydro when it was released and some maver )
Every now and then I retry but i find it stretches too much in all but short topkits.
( gives fish more time to snag me)
I prefer latex ( oh er misses ) or slik ( NG ultra is brilliant ) in short kits
and Latex or double slip ( 5 , 6 + 8 ) in long kits

IMHO to sum it up what others think is an advantage I don't.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I don't really know the differences between hollow or solid I'm using NG dark green in one top kit Red inanother
I have long forgotten what sizes they are ,the green does stretch a long way over the lake.
IF you gave me two top kits one with hollow and one with solid and said fish with these ,iwould not be able to tell the difference

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't really know the differences between hollow or solid I'm using NG dark green in one top kit Red inanother
I have long forgotten what sizes they are ,the green does stretch a long way over the lake.
IF you gave me two top kits one with hollow and one with solid and said fish with these ,iwould not be able to tell the difference
Yes you would.

Nick has different dark green elastics. Amber core, 10-14, single core 12-14, Ultra core 16-18. Sounds like the Amber core. I have used it in Winter, I would never use it in Summer for carp.

Last edited:

irvouk

Started out on Hydro elastic as everyone was saying it was the bees knees. At £15 a pop I eventually realised I was being mugged off by all the advertising/promoting and hype. Went over to NG twin core at 1/3rd of the price and realised there was no discernible difference. Quite happily used NG for years then I've just been sucked in again by all the advertising/promoting/hype with Preston Dura Slip Hybrid and changed over to this only to realise that it's not actually as good as the NG twin core. Back to NG it is....when will I ever learn? Don't over complicate or over think things. At the end of the day, it's just stretchy string....

Last edited:

grey

Site Supporter
I don't really get what you mean Grey, I use fairly light hollow at times, and if I hook a bigger fish I just use the pulla as needed to get it in. I, and I'm pretty sure many others certainly don't have the fish swimming where it likes. There's absolutely no need to wait until the fish tires, before tightening up.
I think the difference is, Davylad, I catch bigger fish than you :ROFLMAO:

Dslayer

dslayer
I simply learnt to use road and reel at age 7 and threw my bamboo stick and string away!! Simples! LOL!!

richox12

IME Problem with soft elastics is that until you can get down to your kit and grab the puller the carp can go where it likes especially if you have a lot of pole out in the first place, the water is open and you're not fishing to any feature etc

Corn Master

Don't be fooled. There is a difference. Here's a feature on elastics I did for Middy a couple of years ago 👌

Hollow V Solid elastics
Many anglers either hate hollow elastics or solids but let's face it, they do the same thing right. Hook a fish and land it, job done. Have you considered that you might need an elastic that can control fish near snags like the red 10-12 solid or the yellow Hi-Viz Hollow Shockcore 6-10 that is very soft on the strike especially when using fine wire hooks. If you're one of those anglers who scale your rigs right down in the autumn winter the 6-10 hollow is perfect. Hook into a "cold water" 5lbs+ carp then you'll find this elastic has a lovely action. It doesn't put too much strain your rig and make the carp fight harder than normal. The pink 10-14 hollow is probably the most versatile hollow elastic I use, particularly in the summer on a peg where there isn't any snags, fishing in the winter in open water or on a 5m line. This hollow is rated to 0.18mm mainline. I love using this with 0.16 and 0.14mm hooklengths.

We all know elastics will perish for a number of reasons overtime and the only drawback with hollows that they do this a little quicker than solids. When it's really cold, I mean when we have days of "cat ice" or worse, hollows also can lock up. Meaning they can stiffen inside the top kit. You may notice a jerky type movement when some elastic comes out of the tip kit when playing a fish. Solids don't do this and perform better than hollows when uber cold. A double solid out performs a single solid in many ways. I used to even "double-double" a low grade solid like Middy Green 1-5 for F1's. I don't soley fish for F1's nowadays but this elastic is super soft when setting the hook it only stretches to something like 10 feet out of the pole tip. When the fish starts a run on a low grade double solid the elastic kicks into almost a reverse in power subduing any overactive small carp or F1.

With many plus and minus points between the two the biggest is the difference in price. Roughly £4 for solid as opposed to around £10 for hollow, it's a no-brainer for many anglers. Whether it's hollow or solid, Middy elastics have been the favourite of anglers for many years including some of the sports biggest names so I have created a guide in choosing some Middys best elastics (non Reactacore brand)

12-16 hollow or 10-12 solid
Fish from 3lbs to 10lbs+
Rigs in 0.18mm mainline
Hooklengths in 0.16mm 0.14mm

6-10 hollow or 8-10 solid
Fish from 1lb to 5lbs
Rigs in 0.18mm - 0.16mm mainline
Hooklengths in 0.14mm

My favourite "cold water" elastics simply are
10-14 hollow or 10-12 solid
Fish from 3lbs to 10lbs
Rigs in 0.18mm mainline

Remember though, don't throw away the elastic when your changing it. Simply snip it off at the dacron/connector and put it in a sandwich bag. A squirt of elastic lubricant will keep it in top condition until you want to use it again later in the year 👍

Tight Lines

~ Dale

Mork

Hi all - thanks so much for all the comments - both serious and funny!
I have done a few tests, both on a test bench and in a pole on a canal!
I will publish some data soon (photo's, charts, video) to show back-to-back fair tests.

The conclusion is that for the elastics tested;
  1. #12 solid had the same resistance to stretch (elongation) as 14-16 hollow (using spring balance load cell)
  2. They both stretched to 5.5x original length before a sharp change in gradient - maybe what people call 'powering-up'?
  3. They both stretched to 6.5x original length before I was worried - 'locking-up'
  4. Both had retraction hysteresis, but the hollow was more than twice as bad as the solid - search on youtube 'elastic hysteresis' if you need.
  5. Twice as much hollow elastic was required to be pulled through a 'puller' to pull the same object across a floor - (to mitigate the hysteresis)
  6. The hollow 'juddered' in/out of a 90deg angled pole more than solid (maybe increase surface area touching inside of pole and bush)
  7. Bench tests showed that repeat testing caused the hollow to 'warm-up' more and soften compared to the solid
  8. Both would recover from warm softening, but the hollow took much longer to recover (maybe due to trapped warm air in the centre)
  9. The warm softening that occurred on the bench, was not seen on the pole tests (tips were dipped in water and kept cool)
Youtube video about hysteresis

JLK

Don't be fooled. There is a difference. Here's a feature on elastics I did for Middy a couple of years ago 👌

Hollow V Solid elastics
Many anglers either hate hollow elastics or solids but let's face it, they do the same thing right. Hook a fish and land it, job done. Have you considered that you might need an elastic that can control fish near snags like the red 10-12 solid or the yellow Hi-Viz Hollow Shockcore 6-10 that is very soft on the strike especially when using fine wire hooks. If you're one of those anglers who scale your rigs right down in the autumn winter the 6-10 hollow is perfect. Hook into a "cold water" 5lbs+ carp then you'll find this elastic has a lovely action. It doesn't put too much strain your rig and make the carp fight harder than normal. The pink 10-14 hollow is probably the most versatile hollow elastic I use, particularly in the summer on a peg where there isn't any snags, fishing in the winter in open water or on a 5m line. This hollow is rated to 0.18mm mainline. I love using this with 0.16 and 0.14mm hooklengths.

We all know elastics will perish for a number of reasons overtime and the only drawback with hollows that they do this a little quicker than solids. When it's really cold, I mean when we have days of "cat ice" or worse, hollows also can lock up. Meaning they can stiffen inside the top kit. You may notice a jerky type movement when some elastic comes out of the tip kit when playing a fish. Solids don't do this and perform better than hollows when uber cold. A double solid out performs a single solid in many ways. I used to even "double-double" a low grade solid like Middy Green 1-5 for F1's. I don't soley fish for F1's nowadays but this elastic is super soft when setting the hook it only stretches to something like 10 feet out of the pole tip. When the fish starts a run on a low grade double solid the elastic kicks into almost a reverse in power subduing any overactive small carp or F1.

With many plus and minus points between the two the biggest is the difference in price. Roughly £4 for solid as opposed to around £10 for hollow, it's a no-brainer for many anglers. Whether it's hollow or solid, Middy elastics have been the favourite of anglers for many years including some of the sports biggest names so I have created a guide in choosing some Middys best elastics (non Reactacore brand)

12-16 hollow or 10-12 solid
Fish from 3lbs to 10lbs+
Rigs in 0.18mm mainline

6-10 hollow or 8-10 solid
Fish from 1lb to 5lbs
Rigs in 0.18mm - 0.16mm mainline
Hooklengths in 0.14mm

My favourite "cold water" elastics simply are
10-14 hollow or 10-12 solid
Fish from 3lbs to 10lbs
Rigs in 0.18mm mainline

Remember though, don't throw away the elastic when your changing it. Simply snip it off at the dacron/connector and put it in a sandwich bag. A squirt of elastic lubricant will keep it in top condition until you want to use it again later in the year 👍

Tight Lines

~ Dale
Was it you who did a feature using quadrupled up elastic in their top kits?

Mork

Was it you who did a feature using quadrupled up elastic in their top kits?
What could possibly go wrong? I think that would either be an 'April fool' or a marketing scam to get you to buy 4x more elastic!
You get the same cross-sectional area by simply using a single elastic at 2x the diameter (with fewer issues)!

I wrote to several leading elastic developers tech teams, asking them about solid v's hollow. Here's the only response...

The application you describe is known as tensile or axial loading
The stiffness of elastic for a given material depends only on the cross sectional
area and not the shape
The strength of elastic depends only on the cross sectional area and not the
shape
Therefore the tensile loading for all shapes of the same cross-sectional area are
equivalent
There are no calculations that we can advise to compensate for shape because it has no influence
For your application we suggest solid unless you wish to reduce twist or for handling purposes

There's an interesting article here for spear fishing elastic that shows exactly the same characteristics as I found... LINGHUNT Rubber Tubing

Mork

Hollow generally stretches more than solid and doesn't tend to bottom out because there's nothing in the middle to compress. Bit too stretchy for my liking, I haven't the patience to just hang on and watch a fish swim freely around the lake waiting till it tires enough for me to pull some excess elastic out the way - when I finally get to that stage, I sometimes have to pull so much out it would make sense to fit a reel to my pole.

Reserve hollow elastics for when catch rate is low and fish are more precious is my advice.

You won't lose a fish on hollow, but sometimes you begin to regret you can't.
If you look at my later post, I think the the excess elastic left out and the use of the puller to get the fish back in, is due to the hysteresis that I have explained.

JLK

What could possibly go wrong? I think that would either be an 'April fool' or a marketing scam to get you to buy 4x more elastic!
You get the same cross-sectional area by simply using a single elastic at 2x the diameter (with fewer issues)!

I wrote to several leading elastic developers tech teams, asking them about solid v's hollow. Here's the only response...

The application you describe is known as tensile or axial loading
The stiffness of elastic for a given material depends only on the cross sectional
area and not the shape
The strength of elastic depends only on the cross sectional area and not the
shape
Therefore the tensile loading for all shapes of the same cross-sectional area are
equivalent
There are no calculations that we can advise to compensate for shape because it has no influence
For your application we suggest solid unless you wish to reduce twist or for handling purposes

There's an interesting article here for spear fishing elastic that shows exactly the same characteristics as I found... LINGHUNT Rubber Tubing
There was definitely a feature in one of the angling magazines where I'm pretty sure a sponsored angler showed off the quad set up. It was rediculous really.
There's lots of anglers on here who use double solid 4/5/6 etc claiming it is better than the equivalent single solid rating. 🤷🏻‍♂️

RMNDIL

I've done many similar experiments over the years but, unfortunately, nothing beats using an elastic and working out in reality what you can or cannot do with it. Hollows, seemingly regardless of amount of material being same, less, or more stretch that much further than solid equivalents and don't have the resistance or 'power' over the same length until they themselves bottom out or get close to bottoming.

For example, solid No 5 in 0.91mm took 5oz to stretch from a start of 2m to 6m and 1lb 10oz to stretch from 2m up to 10m. So an extra 8m or 400%. Then it had bottomed (as near as damn it as I didn't want it to snap and slash my wrist !). I wouldn't carp fish with it.

Yellow Carp Bungee - which has over 25% more material in it by area/volume - took 10oz to stretch from 2m to 6m and 1lb 3oz to stretch from the same 2m to 10m. But would easily carry on to 12m and more. At 12m it was, and starting to 'bite', 2lb 10oz. So it had more 'power' to start with but was overtaken at 10m by the No 5 solid as that had already bottomed.

As a further comparison Green Carp Bungee was 5oz at 6m (same as the solid No 5) 10oz at 10m (so still much softer than solid No 5) and would easily go on to 12m and still only be 1lb 5oz and could go further. A 'proper' elastic, a solid No 16, was 1lb 3oz at 6m but a whopping 5lb 2oz at 10m. It couldn't stretch further, had bottomed, hence the high result.

Test different elastics and you will get different results due to compound & processing. Hence you need to fish with the stuff to really know.

Mork

There was definitely a feature in one of the angling magazines where I'm pretty sure a sponsored angler showed off the quad set up. It was rediculous really.
There's lots of anglers on here who use double solid 4/5/6 etc claiming it is better than the equivalent single solid rating. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I was going to say that no one is that stupid, then I found this video Surely it's a 'windup'?

If you double the elastic, you will double the cross-section, so it simply doubles the tensile loading for the same stretch.
If you double the cross-sectional area of a single elastic, it simply doubles the tensile loading for the same stretch.

Take a look at the 4 charts at the end of this link showing single & double elastics. The double plots have 2x the load of the single plots for the same stretch!

JLK

I was going to say that no one is that stupid, then I found this video Surely it's a 'windup'?

If you double the elastic, you will double the cross-section, so it simply doubles the tensile loading for the same stretch.
If you double the cross-sectional area of a single elastic, it simply doubles the tensile loading for the same stretch.

Take a look at the 4 charts at the end of this link showing single & double elastics. The double plots have 2x the load of the single plots for the same stretch!
I have never used it myself so can't comment on the validity of what they are suggesting it does. I just opt for the single variety whether it be solid or hollow.