Whats next ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I have just read to my utmost horror, that otters are to become the next ANIMAL NASTY to the fishing hordes....[:(!][:(!]...these animals are worth protecting in my book....it shows the health of a river for a start....and...and they are noway as numerous as the black death...its begining to get to the point of human beings verses the animal kingdom....[:(!][:(!]....

No ones ever mentioned Goosanders....Mergansers..Herons...Kingfishers....etc....they take loads of fish as well, but they deserve to live among us..or are we gonna get rid of them as well ...[:(][:(][:(]....

Somethings gotta give......otherwise we will have no wildlife at our rivers and ponds.....and to me that would be like watching paint dry..[V][V]

Cormorants need dealing with .....but otters !!!!...

Do we have the right to cull every animal that eats fish [?][?][?]

MOOKSTER....Wildlife and anglers do mix.....MAGGOTDROWNERS SIMPLY THE BEST...[:D][:D][:D]

norm

mookie

otters?

cormerants?

why you with one and against the other

i see were you are comming from

but at the end of the day they may be no worse that each other

mookie

mookie
Hi Norm.....Simple mate......how many cormorants have you seen since you started fishing...[:(!][:(!] and how many otters !!!l have seen stacks of cormorants...but only 1 otter in near 30 years of fishing......[;)][;)]....

Cheers mate for your opinion...

MOOKSTER....[:D][:D]

norm

just like trogg

just cos you cant see them dont mean they are not there

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Its a fact of life that the organisations releasing otters in to the wild gave no thought to where this was done or even bothered to consult anglers. When you have seen an otter with a 6lb plus barbel in its mouth, then you wonder just what damage is being done to fish stocks.
We have had all the problems you mention ie cormorants mink gooseanders etc for years, now the otter population is growing and adding to our problems.
At the end of the day something has to give. The fish stocks are taking a battering from fry by kingfishers through to specimen fish by otters and mink.

chill out go fishing

Ian C

Hi Mookster

I have only ever seen one Otter and to be honest, it made my day, as I had always wanted to see one in the wild [:D]

Same as you with the cormorants, I see em everywhere I go!

I think that Otters have been accused of killing some sizable carp recently. But, was it Otters?...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2551207.stm

Surely these things leave some tracks?

Ian C

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Several commercial fisheries have reported otters taking up residence so the reports of large carp being taken may be true.

chill out go fishing

Beebs

But surely if the amount of predators are there, there must be the prey to sustain them. No prey, no predators. Haven't we had the same arguments about pike with silver fish, or do they not count because they are another species to fish for?

It is a pain in the arse when you see loads of roosting cormarants and pictures of specimen fish killed by otters, but doesn't nature always strike up its own balance in the end?

Dervaig

Its all about moderation and balance.
I have nothing against otters, cormorants or any species for that matter (except spiders[V][V]), but if any species becomes too numerous and starts to cause an imbalance in the natural order then IMHO we should try to do something about it.
Normally nature takes care of these things itself, there are lots of examples like perch, rats, rabbits where every few years or so the numbers of these species are brought down by natural desease or predation by another species. The one big upsetting factor in all this is..........

Yes you've guessed it.......MAN.

Why have the cormorants taken to coming inland more?
Maybe because MAN has depleted their normal fish stocks by over fishing the seas. I don't know, I'm not an expert in these matters but I don't think cormorants were a problem say 40/50 years ago. Something has upset the balance.
Where did all the otters go? Who was it that polluted their normal habitats and nearly drove them to extinction in certain areas of the country? Hmmmm.
If MAN now decides that we would like to clean our rivers up to such an extent that the otters return and start praying on the fish that we have stocked, tough s**t.

Unless all the interested parties can reach a concensus
(no chance)that the species in question is threatening mans wellbeing or existance, we'll just have to grin and bear it.

I'll just sit here and await the hammering.

Dervaig

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi,
I have only ever seen two Otters in the wild.The last occasion was in the Lake District about 15 years ago.I wish I'd had my camera with me - great sight.Whether or not they are now so numerous as to be causing a problem, I think doubtful.At least Otters are only reclaiming what was once theirs - Cormorants are a coastal bird.
However,I fished a match on the Royal Military Canal in Kent, some years ago,in a fairly remote area. The far bank was very overgrown with dense trees/bushes.I kept hearing a loud persistent bellow/grunt/roar,coming from behind the bushes. A couple of hours later a steward stopped & I asked him about the noise."Its only the Lions" he said "from the Zoo behind the trees" and walked off.
The remainder of the match was spent with my eyes glued to the trees for the first sign of movement.If it moved I was doing a runner.
I only found out after the match that behind the trees was a large fence(unseen).
On balance I'd rather have the Otters.They only eat fish.
Cheers[:D][:D][:D]

norm

stevem

that loud persistent bellow/grunt/roar may have been me and wor lass (LOL)

Ian C

quote:Originally posted by Dervaig

I have nothing against otters, cormorants or any species for that matter (except spiders[V][V]),

I used to be ara?...aracna?...arachnaph?.....scared of spiders too. But I managed to beat my fear after about 30 years.lol
Have you met my little friend? [}:)][:eek:)]

No hammering from me Dervaig, I'm in total agreement and second your comments

Ian C

Lid

This is a difficult one. Wolves were once native to this land. Should we re-introduce them too? I think otters are fantastic animals, but man has messed up the balance of nature so much it is very hard now to know what to do.

I think there were far more fish in the waters 300 years ago and they could sustain a level of predation which they cannot now.

As to the balance of nature, take foxes as an example. Farmers, especially game farmers, kill them, but there is evidence to suggest that if you kill lots, just as many or even more move into the area to take over.

I know people who have killed 70 foxes in one winter, but a zoologist I also know says that if they had left them alone, there would certainly not be 70 foxes in that area, just a small number as there always was!?

Lid [:)]

Last edited:

TINY

Tiny
Sorry gents but I think it is our fault that things have got ballsed up.Nature will find its own balance and man must find his.If man cannot find his balance,then he must learn to adapt.

Andy.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Steve, you forgot that most of the cormorants seen on our inland waters belong to a continental species. This is an inland and not a coastal bird. I dont doubt that mixed in with them are some coastal birds.

chill out go fishing

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D]

As per usual the usual response from mds, l think this could be a good thread, for some joyful banter...[;)][;)]

I saw my first otter last year at croft and what a sight it was too...came up about 12ft away at 4am on a summers morning, and glided away downstream ...then l had a morning session caught 5 chub then went home satisfied.....

l think otters are a wonderful species, and should be encouraged...man always has the last say in anything....if it affects anything that human beings enjoy......instead of thinking what can we do to prevent !!!!...its case of just get rid....l think our good friend Issac Walton would have summat to say about it.....
Theres Neanderthal man still lurking in the homo sapiens of the present day....IF IN DOUBT ...WIPE IT OUT....[V][V]
Cheers all for your comments....

MOOKSTER....[:D][:D][:D]

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
I don't know whether this is true in the rest of the country or just here in the north-east but a farmer friend of mine was telling me the other day that there has been a huge increase in the numbers of wild mink.

Apparently because of the access and movement restrictions imposed during the F&M outbreak nobody was trapping / killing the mink and hence the numbers have increased dramatically.

So now we've got otters, comorants and mink to contend with - one consolation though - at least we can kill the mink.

Tight Lines

Simon

erik

dervaig and a few others hit the nail right on the head. here here.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I for one am all for the return of otters to british rivers.

Man has driven them to the edge of extinction by hunting and polluting the waters the otters used to be in. I look forward to seeing them prowl the waters, I last saw on by the River Alness in Ross-shire about 6 years ago.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Status
Not open for further replies.