What's it all about....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

This afternoon I went for a walk down the banks of the River Wharfe with my wife, kids and dog.
The sun was shining, the river was at it's normal level, there were a few fish rising creating that un-mistakable ring amongst the glistening ripples of the water as it flowed over the submerged rocks. Around us was silence; away from the hustle and bustle of city life the only sounds were that of the river and the occasional bird.

My thoughts were focused on where if it wasn't the closed season and I had my tackle with me I would let a stick float glide down with the water's current and where I could pick out a fish or two.

My deep thinking must have been evident as my missus asked me what I was thinking about and I tried to explain to her and what fishing was all about, not just the catching of fish but the 'getting away from it all' , seeing and being involved with the side of nature that most people don't see and the un-equalled thrill of catching that fish.

What is it all about for you
Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
This little fellow just about sums it all up for me, just to catch a sight of one makes it all worth while.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

G

Whats it all about for me.

Its being there on the river bank or the lakeside,the thrill of the catch, the build up to the day,being with friends.
Its my piece of space nobody can invade,it also gives me time to relect on the past,present and future.
Its a great way to meet new friends,how many times have you sat,or stood in the water,to feel that someone is watching you,?youn turn round to see people watching you, groups of friends or family on a days outing.
Young and old alike in most cases are interested in what you have cought, the fishing breaks the ice for people to speak,the kids wanting to look at the maggots only to be told by Dad stop pestering the man, bet most of you people has let the kids look at the maggots.
To me fishing is a way of life if its in your blood its there forever,
Its being there taking part, enjoying your company and the surrounding nature, catching fish is a bonus.
I was at my fovourite venue a couple of weeks ago the fishing was a total washout, not a fish all day not even a bite, but being there made it all worthwhile.
One thing that i cannot understand is people who do not fish thinks that we are all crazy,how many of the same people would be hooked if they cought a fish. Being there with people who have one thing in common, not being made to feel uncomfortable in a strange place,
having total strangers stopping and giving you the time of day,bet they would change their mind if the chance came around.

Andy

Andy homer.gif

mookie

mookie
I totally agree with you toma my friend...theres more to fishing than catching the odd fish...just being part of the countryside is enough for me...very early mornings are best espesically wetting the line in a river on the 16th June waiting for the first pull round from a nice chub...and missing it Ha Ha....wildlifes a bonus and of course happiness is a rod in your hand....

Toma come down to the Tees this coming season for a night session...you will love it.....l have a session lined up for the night of the 16th June.....

Cheers

Mook

martin.

Account Locked
hi
for me ijust love being next to the water wether it be
river or lake
with or without company
fishing or not fishing
walking or just sitting
it is supprising how much you can learn just watching the water and surrounds you see things that you would not normaly notice when your watching a float or tip.

tight lines.
martin.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Me ...i don't care whether i catch or not.

This is gonna sound daft but when i'm on the bank it feels like all my troubles drain away into the water.

Oh & having a brock sneak up behind you in the night n snaffle you meat is good fun as well
scary at the time cos i wasn't looking & just reached behind me for some meat, felt this warm fur n shat meself (have you ever heard a badger growl??)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Not to be the odd man out here but for me, a fishing trip is a lot more fun if I am catching.

Granted, being on the water or shore is better than being just about any other place I can think of.

The quiet and the wildlife are wonderful and the whole thing is very relaxing.

Still, I like it way more when I am catching.

Newt Vail

cpk1979

I think its everything mix'dinto one the fish the outdoors the suspense and the ealry mornings / late nights on the bank. My mates / girl friend just can't seem to get it.Take last Friday for example I was out clubbin with friends till 3 in the morning only to be picked up at 5 to go to Semmer Waterwhilst the rest of them were in bed I was out Piking. !

I love the outdoors and anything to do with them! A lot of people my age seem to blast their way through life. I have a pretty stress ful job for a guy of my age... I think It pays to take time for thought and fishing is the perfect way.

Chris.

scouse

'River Man'
HIlads
fishing to me is everything,
being out of work, it stops me going round the twist
you can`t beat walking to the river bank
seeing the mist comeing off the river at first light
setting up then hopeing your in for a good day
but who cares if you dont have a good day its being there
that counts seeing the kingfishers, mink, squirrels,
and all that wild life, it`s a dam sight better than
standing in a smokey pub
i`m out at 6am tomorrow can`t wait
tightlines dave (scouse)

reveal13

Fishing to me is an obsession, and im glad to admit it, i love to watch the wild life and the stillness of the country side around me (except when its windy lol) however i really do enjoy catching as im a very active fisherman and love it too, being at college and some pressure when taking 6 a levels it is the best form of relaxation for me

FIshing is for pleasure and is freedom from troubles, enjoy it while you can, as we all know that fishing is the next item on the hit list for the antis.

Tight lines everyone

peter

norm

i don`t agree with any of you.
i like catching fish not fishing,
i hate the sound of birds,
and animals
infact i hate the countryside full stop.
i wish they would make indoor fishing
to stop all the noise of the wildlife so i can have peace
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>
april fool (oh i am 9 days to late)
give me the countryside rather than the city anytime

it isint the size of the tiddler that counts

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Norm - I don't know how to break this news to you but they have been doing indoor fishing in Japan for some time now.

The island is so crowded that there is a sad lack of waters outside and especially ones you can fish without a boat. So, they have indoor ponds that are well stocked and you fish from bleachers.

Also, they have held at least one indoor fishing tourney in the US. A group of senior anglers who just can't deal with the changing conditions outside had an arena flooded, stocked it with bass, and held their tourney.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.