What's happened to Match Fishing Magazine?

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I bought this months as a bit of nostalgic read and hoped the mark pollard article would give an insight into hemp fishing. No shotting patterns, when to hold back, run through or little tweaks. A shame , Mr Pollard as always been an icon to me. Most now seems to be adtorials. Will buy the Christmas edition to read if the family come over and I need an escape

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Indeed it is hit-and-miss. Our local paper doesn't carry any coarse fishing reports.

As for a report - yes. I would expect the organisers of big matches - the Mavers, Fish O'Mania, festivals etc to put a decent report up on the net, and not just the top three or fivewith a bare note of how the winner fished. Not to do it is pure laziness. They have the full result - why not show it?

Rookery Farm at Pidley give the top five of their matches, and often show the full result - every peg.

(Sigh). I suppose that the work ethic we used to have will never return. :(

Line Clip

Anglers Mail was way better than any of the monthlies. That’s the one I’ll really miss.
Sorry but I don't agree, at the end of the day if you want to read about match fishing, you buy Match Fishing magazine,not Anglers Mail, but to be fare if your not into reading, the information you can get on YouTube is excellent.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Sorry but I don't agree, at the end of the day if you want to read about match fishing, you buy Match Fishing magazine,not Anglers Mail, but to be fare if your not into reading, the information you can get on YouTube is excellent.
I had subscriptions to both (still am subscribed to match fishing). MF used to be really good (as was pole fishing) but over the last year it’s gone completely down hill. All they do is repeat the same information over and over again. I can’t remember the last time I learnt something interesting reading it. I don’t really like the majority of stuff on youtube because it’s mainly sponsored anglers talking up the companies they are sponsored by.

Line Clip

Match Fishing Mag I like but the wife moans at the price of it when i get it from Tesco and add it to the shopping list, she says she can get 4/5 of hers to the cost of mine.

Nicky Dodds

I had subscriptions to both (still am subscribed to match fishing). MF used to be really good (as was pole fishing) but over the last year it’s gone completely down hill. All they do is repeat the same information over and over again. I can’t remember the last time I learnt something interesting reading it. I don’t really like the majority of stuff on youtube because it’s mainly sponsored anglers talking up the companies they are sponsored by.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube by less famous anglers. It's just knowing what to look for. I watch a lot of 'ordinary joe' videos where the angler may be using gear that would be lambasted on here but it's just the gear that he owns. Quite often these non-pro type videos make you think "why on earth is he doing this when he should be doing that?" Sometimes you are proved wrong and on those occasions you've learnt something. I agree a lot of the current top angler/brand videos can be a bit predictable but the top anglers do tend to get the point over well even if it's not rocket science. I tend to like Jon Arthur as he does all sorts and shows everything warts and all. If you like roach fishing then look no further than mark wintle and as most have seen on Danny's angling blog he can produce fish from a wet flannel. Haydn rushworth on bobble tv is full of info and if you can get by the chav speak adams fishing adventures purely for his enthusiasm. John murray on hooked fishing channel is another.
There's plenty out there mark.

MarkW

I suspect that there's so little money in the pot in publications that they're basically left with free submissions from sponsored anglers. The das of paying well are largely over. Expensive publications like Catch Cult and Fallon's Angler may now be the exception.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
There are a lot of videos on YouTube by less famous anglers. It's just knowing what to look for. I watch a lot of 'ordinary joe' videos where the angler may be using gear that would be lambasted on here but it's just the gear that he owns. Quite often these non-pro type videos make you think "why on earth is he doing this when he should be doing that?" Sometimes you are proved wrong and on those occasions you've learnt something. I agree a lot of the current top angler/brand videos can be a bit predictable but the top anglers do tend to get the point over well even if it's not rocket science. I tend to like Jon Arthur as he does all sorts and shows everything warts and all. If you like roach fishing then look no further than mark wintle and as most have seen on Danny's angling blog he can produce fish from a wet flannel. Haydn rushworth on bobble tv is full of info and if you can get by the chav speak adams fishing adventures purely for his enthusiasm. John murray on hooked fishing channel is another.
Thanks for those tips Nicky. I’ll have to look a bit harder. Why don’t you start a thread for people to post their favourite youtube fishing vids? It would be really useful to lots of people.

Nicky Dodds

Thanks for those tips Nicky. I’ll have to look a bit harder. Why don’t you start a thread for people to post their favourite youtube fishing vids? It would be really useful to lots of people.
Because I'm not really very good at anything that involves organising or IT

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
I noticed someone liked my contribution recently, so it has prompted me to update it.
I feel it has improved this last couple editions, more natural waters, a wider price range of gear, articles prefixed with "yes these are Preston rods used by a Preston person but other manufacturers make similar rods", more less well known anglers contributing too, Browning Hotrods stories are good and finally Billy Makin , enough said.
I was so impressed (slight exaggeration ) I took out a subscription. The 9bags of groubdbait, 2tubs wafters and towel had nothing to do with it ;) they came within the week of signing on, great service. We will now see how Royal Mail treats them:(

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Chavspeak,?, thought it was just me, he does do well though, that net of bream from York city centre and the Ouse Championship. “Can’t go wrong”.?