Whats going on for goodness sake?

LincsExile

Guys before anyone says each to their own, or we all have free choice I'll tell you a tale and its true. If you go over the Trent at the A1 pits part you can see for yourself, as since 16th came and past a guy is fishing the river with only what I can say is the kitchen sink.

He has what looks like a caravan, awning and bevy set up. It looks like nothing I've seen before honest, and is really taking the mick I feel. I know folk camp out now for barbel, but what is it really all coming too. I understand a thread done just this week on not understanding fishing for barbel, right now it makes good sense to me. One chap on here said he did 3 long trips blanked and then had a cracker, traveled a long way to, that's what its about, not sitting on one river peg all week. I despair what angling is coming to I really do, catch at all cost. What about a bit of respect for the farmer, wildlife and others? I know I'll get slated, but hay?

I agree with "each to their own" but I also sympathise with rick's point of view - there is a picture on Newark Piscatorials website of the Winthorpe rack stretch of the Trent on 16 June, it looks like a motorway!! And since midnight through to the lunchtime, apparently no-one had seen a barbel, just one or 2 bream I believe ... I WONDER WHY ??

Silver fan 82

Siver/fan. The problem is they don't always clear up the pee and s**t they produce do they? Someone else may want to fish that swim for a few a hours, and cannot due to the long stay angler. The next angler has to fish in all the rubbish, or the farmer has to clean it all up. Many don't have that type of permission and bend the existing rules, the farmer and club allow bivies and they take advantage and the club get the stick. Hows that for a legitimate answer three of them. I can think of more if you like? Like social responsibility and such.

People think its because you're jealous (sadly that's putting their own mindset on others) , but it's more to do with people not thinking about others, the farmer, next angler, environment, the club that owns the water. But its just mu view and other are welcome the theirs, we seem 50/50 about now.
Totally agree with what your saying 100% Rick. The way I read a lot of replies / posts was a lot of others instantly assuming that because someone is using a bivvy and bite alarms they are a certain kind of angler? The typical "carp angler", the usual stereotypes. Assuming that they are going to be loud mothed and leaving litter ect. Now if they do leave litter and all the rest of it then yeah that's wrong but if not I just cant get my head round why using a bivvy, alarms etc is so frowned upon.

Blanks

Site Supporter
There was a chap years ago that often used to be in the angling times for his catches, he lived in is bivvy and fished all the time. I often used to think what a great way to live but even fishing would become monotonous after a while, and do those specimen roach and tench have the same magical meaning as they once did.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I once did a Thursday tea-time to Sunday afternoon bivvied up on the banks of the Trent with only my previous Boxer for company and trust me the fishing was a bonus. It was so peaceful the odd boat coming past, the occasional Swan, one or two dog walkers on the other side, and the odd angler passing by.

BoldBear

Perhaps his Wife had recently kicked him out.

Ray Webb who eventually went doo-dally used to live in a caravan and fish all of the time. He wrote the Big Pike and Big Tench books with Barry Rickards.

Keith

Last edited: