What you see when you aint fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakesteve

Hi all, Went for a little walk this morning along a stretch of the river ivel which is part of one of the local club waters that i belong to, only joined this year so am still checking out the waters for a good place to try. River was looking wonderful crystal clear the only down side is is absolutly full of plant life a long flowing grass type and water lettuce/cabbage not sure of the proper names and all sorts of other plant life. Saw a couple of small schoals of roach, then something caught my eye first thought it was weed swaying in the water but after looking a bit more carefully saw 2 Barbel rise up out of the weed and just seem to sit there on top of it head into the current, these fish were probably about 2feet long. Stood and watched them for about 5 mins or so in absolute awe and admiration of these beautiful fish just sitting there. Its the first time ive seen Barbel in a river caught a few still water ones and they put up one hell of a fight, i want a river one now. How gutted was i that i didnt have a rod with me that i might have had a couple of casts for them.[:D] Will have to go again another day but with a rod this time.[:T]

Russ G

Rusty
Ain't fished this river for a long time but I think if you fish it in the summer you'll struggle.
Mid to late Autumn and the Winter when all the weed has died and it has flow and colour will be excellent!
This is why Blunham AC used to run all their matches from November onwards on this river.

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
A stillwater barbel is nothing like a river barbel when it comes to the fight!

Russ G

Rusty
Yup,Barbel belong in rivers and are a pain in the backside on commercials!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Russ G

Barbel are a pain in the backside on commercials!

I think you might be unhooking them incorrectly :)

bluemack

Site Supporter
most of my fishing is based on river barbel and to be honest i suspect as the previous post says i doubt very much if they would have taken a bait in those conditions.I,ve fished for barbel for several years and i find the best months,certainly for me are september and october.A bit of water on, reasonably mild and overcast and i,m out there.

bluemack

Site Supporter
most of my fishing is based on river barbel and to be honest i suspect as the previous post says i doubt very much if they would have taken a bait in those conditions.I,ve fished for barbel for several years and i find the best months,certainly for me are september and october.A bit of water on, reasonably mild and overcast and i,m out there.

pmdirectuk

Should check more!
I saw a load of silver fish in a shoal the other day whilst walking in the sun, and to my surprise as I passed them I saw 2 pike just lurking behind a load of weed waiting for one to break free! what a sight, wish I could have seen the Pike feed! not being cruel about the poor little silverfish but thats nature isnt it!

BoldBear

Hi SnakeSteve, Welcome to the world of rivers & streams.

I also fish the Ivel and other streams & small rivers in Herts & Beds.

That long flowing grass type weed that you find annoying is called Streamer weed and is one of the main reasons why the Barbel are there in the first place. It's where most of the Barbel spend their day out of the sun picking off snippets of food as it pass by in the flow.

This is where all those watercraft articles that you have read can really start to pay off.

Those Barbel can be caught but you will usually need to start fishing for them in the late evenings when they come out to feed in earnest.
If you find a deeper glide near to the features that Barbel love then you can catch them on the float but it is when the light starts to fade that a legered piece of meat, pellet or fishmeal boilee coated in fishmeal paste will tempt the bigger ones to take your bait.

Tight lines
BB

Last edited:

Snakesteve

Thanks BoldBear for that info it all helps, i have never fished for river barbel befor and only ever caught my first one last year on a stillwater but now i really want one from a river. But guess i will need to wait a little longer. Where abouts in Hertfordshire do you live? as im in Letchworth. Thanks again.[:T]

Polecup

Yes, I am a
When walking round my local pond a few months ago, I came across a couple going hell for leather up against one of the stiles. They were that pre-occupied that I walk past them only ten feet away and they never noticed me.
I mentioned it to the 'er indoors when I got home and she told me not to get any ideas!

Codger

Go for it Snakesteve!
River barbel fishing is pure bliss...nothing less!!!!
Let us know if you manage to land one of these magnificent creatures!!!!
(OK I am a bit biased!!!!!)

bluemack

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Polecup

When walking round my local pond a few months ago, I came across a couple going hell for leather up against one of the stiles. They were that pre-occupied that I walk past them only ten feet away and they never noticed me.
I mentioned it to the 'er indoors when I got home and she told me not to get any ideas!
what bait was he using maggot or lobworm ?

BoldBear

Originally posted by Snakesteve

Thanks BoldBear for that info it all helps, i have never fished for river barbel befor and only ever caught my first one last year on a stillwater but now i really want one from a river. But guess i will need to wait a little longer. Where abouts in Hertfordshire do you live? as im in Letchworth. Thanks again.[:T]
Hi Snakesteve,
I have been away on holiday for a few days so I couldn't reply.

I live near to St Albans but do most of my Barbel fishing on the upper Lea near wheathamstead, the upper Great Ouse at Radwell and Felmersham and stretches of the Ivel in Beds.

The rivers are very low and clear but still producing when the light starts to fade in the evening, a willingness to travel light with only one rod a landing net and a small shoulder bag together with a lot of stealth will still pay you dividends.

We need a lot of rain to top up the aquafiers and give the rivers a flush through.

Hope you catch some nice Barbel Steve.
tight lines.
BB

markomark

Originally posted by djandymartin

A stillwater barbel is nothing like a river barbel when it comes to the fight!

Dead right there, I had a 6 1/2 barbel out of my local river, it was my pb but not huge as barbel go. My pb carp was just over the magic 30lb and I thought that fought like hell. The barbel put it to shame.
I was left shaky as I had been in a car crash!

Rivers all the way, barbel don't belong in stillwaters, neither do chub come to that. Occasionally they do get in with floods etc and that is fine, but I really don't agree with stocking them. Like making polar bears live in the woods.

bluntbaby

Originally posted by BoldBear

Originally posted by Snakesteve

Hi Snakesteve,
I have been away on holiday for a few days so I couldn't reply.

I live near to St Albans but do most of my Barbel fishing on the upper Lea near wheathamstead, the upper Great Ouse at Radwell and Felmersham and stretches of the Ivel in Beds.

The rivers are very low and clear but still producing when the light starts to fade in the evening, a willingness to travel light with only one rod a landing net and a small shoulder bag together with a lot of stealth will still pay you dividends.

We need a lot of rain to top up the aquafiers and give the rivers a flush through.

Hope you catch some nice Barbel Steve.
tight lines.
BB

Theres some beautiful Chub in there as well, suckers for a peice of rolled meat. Great fun on the little streams too!

Status
Not open for further replies.