What would you have done?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Before I went to the park yesterday I said to my dad, "I'm going to put a bankstick in instead of the feeder arm". Only having a cheapo feeder arm, and a makeshift way of attaching it to my chair, I could get a better angle with the bankstick. On arriving at the peg, low and behold, there's already a MASSIVE bankstick in exactly the place I would have put mine. I took it out the water and left it on the side. Turns out I couldn't get my own bankstick in as the ground's too hard.

The bloke that was fishing there was Jimbo's dad. I've never spoken to Jimbo before but ascertained this both from speaking to people on the bank, and that every time he hooked a fish, of which he had two Carp, he would call out "Jimboooo, I've got one!".

I held on to the bankstick as I was fishing in case someone came round, but then when it was time to pack away I put the bankstick in my holdall.

I'm now 'proud' (somewhat shameful) owner of a massive adjustable bankstick. I feel a bit bad about it and wonder if I should have left it either in the water or on the bank with nowhere to hand it in to.

John Step

Site Supporter
If its a regular haunt you could hang onto it and enquire when you see others fishing. By hanging onto it and being honest enough to enquire you are preventing a less honest person keeping it for good.
If its a valuable job like some are you could pin a note and mobile no.

carphauler

If you didn't take it, the next person may have, I wouldn't worry about it, I've found all kinds of stuff on the Severn, if they've not come back for it in the day i was there then they've probably discarded it or forgot about it.
It's a dilemma but what do you do, there's no way of finding the owner. On the other hand I've left stuff on the bank myself, just write it off as gone.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is the stick (and rest).

2022-07-16 14.32.48.jpg

2022-07-16 14.33.19.jpg

I'm going to go to the park for the third evening in a row tonight. Was going to go to the weir but 3 people are currently fishing it, again! So I'll take it with me and mention it to a bailiff if they come round as everyone knows everyone at the park it seems. Failing that I might get my dad to put a note on FaceBook.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Patio needs weeding :)

Very honourable of you to consider trying to find the owner.
I wouldn't go down the Facebook route as you will probably get some chancers and then the abuse when you start questioning them.

BaldiMug

I believe the legal precedent of "Finders Keepers" could be at play here ;) :p

But seriously if someone asks you , in the near future, about "a lost bank stick from that peg" or you see jimbo/his dad just do the honourable thing and return it , or alternatively sound out the bailiff!

Last edited:

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I'm sorry to say, I've never had any items returned to me that I've unintentionally left bank side, so it would be finders keepers, with one exception of a couple delkins I found at chard, I spoke to the guy when he was packing up so I passed them to the bailiff who returned them to the owner.

Banksticks, landing net heads, rod rest heads I've lost the lot, so I'm due a windfall.

I can guarantee if you leave an item behind Steve it will be gone for good no matter the cost.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Keep it. You will no doubt unintentionally pay it forward in the future with a loss of your own.

I found a bankstick and rest head last year. Found a full spool of korda dark matter braid Wednesday. Left behind one of my brolly pegs on the same day. 🤷‍♀️

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Yes keep it and use it as your own. But if you ever do meet Jimbo's dad (and you're certain it really is him) hand it over.
Like others I've had all sorts of bits & bobs from the bankside. I tend not to lose much though because I have made it a habit that the last thing I do when I'm all packed up is to do a good visual check of my peg for litter and left kit. (y)

R0B

You're in trouble now. Nobody messes with Jimbo, and even fewer people mess with Jimbo's Dad!

If you are still alive and reading this, then it's only a matter of time before you get the knock. However, I expect this is too late and you have met your doom via some elaborate method.

The last bloke I heard who picked up a packet of ledger stops Jimbo's dad had dropped was found in the margins of his local day ticket water, encased in a mixture of marine halibut groundbait, maple syrup and krill paste. The bream had chewed out his eyes (and other areas best not to mention).

OLD SCHOOL

I would have kept it, if you didn't someone else would have, if I was over there again and someone mentioned it I would have give it back to them if not it is mine

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Before I went to the park yesterday I said to my dad, "I'm going to put a bankstick in instead of the feeder arm". Only having a cheapo feeder arm, and a makeshift way of attaching it to my chair, I could get a better angle with the bankstick. On arriving at the peg, low and behold, there's already a MASSIVE bankstick in exactly the place I would have put mine. I took it out the water and left it on the side. Turns out I couldn't get my own bankstick in as the ground's too hard.

The bloke that was fishing there was Jimbo's dad. I've never spoken to Jimbo before but ascertained this both from speaking to people on the bank, and that every time he hooked a fish, of which he had two Carp, he would call out "Jimboooo, I've got one!".

I held on to the bankstick as I was fishing in case someone came round, but then when it was time to pack away I put the bankstick in my holdall.

I'm now 'proud' (somewhat shameful) owner of a massive adjustable bankstick. I feel a bit bad about it and wonder if I should have left it either in the water or on the bank with nowhere to hand it in to.

You robbing dog Steve, you should be hung by the Delkims until repentant 😜

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I would have kept it and not announced it on the biggest coarse angling website in Britain.......the world even!!! 😉