What would you have done?

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Today I went to have a look at a river venue, I've fished it a few times with limited success, so when I knew there was a local club match on, I went to have a look since this might give me some ideas on different ways to fish it.

Most the anglers were on the pole (which I've never tried there) and a few were on the tip. I saw a few fish caught at depth on 3g rigs held back quite hard, but most did not seem to be feeding enough IMO. But yes, it did give me a few ideas.

I walked the match length (about 10 club anglers taking part) and on my way back up the stretch I saw one angler playing a roach on the feeder and all was well, but after he'd netted the fish, he filled the feeder and changed the hookbait, then I noticed he also had a pole out as well (clearly fishing at 11m with the float visible). At this point he saw me and put the tip rod down which is odd given he'd just rebaited. So in my mind he was cheating, and furthermore he knew he was cheating. The pegs were quite well obscured by trees and bushes, so it quite possible no other anglers could see him at this point.

So I wasn't sure what to do... should I try and find the match organiser and report him, or should I just walk away?

In the end I wandered back up the stretch, chatted to one of the old fellas and went home.

And now... I'm thinking did I do the right thing. So, what would you have done?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
You did the right thing and would be nice to have thought the club would have booted him out.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Probably the same as you if I’m perfectly honest. Only if I absolutely knew their club rules forbid the use of two rods might I have gone up to him and suggest he threw the fish back at the end of the match.

George Jones

Chances are they were all at it. Some clubs don't really care, especially on hard venues. It's hard enough to get people to turn up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I would have asked the match organiser if 2 rods were allowed and if the answer was No, then pointed out that the chap on peg no. whatever was using 2 rods. I certainly wouldn't ignore it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What I would have liked to have done (reported it) and what I would have likely done (nothing) are two different things. Ideal world scenario etc.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A club I was in a few years back had a lad that broke every rule he could, braided line, barbed hooks, floating baits... you name it he did it... folks reported him and nowt was done... (didn't want to cause trouble) it wasn't until people started dropping out of the matches that the committee started looking at him seriously... he left soon after...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I would have asked the match organiser if 2 rods were allowed and if the answer was No, then pointed out that the chap on peg no. whatever was using 2 rods. I certainly wouldn't ignore it.
I'm 99% sure 2 rods are not allowed. Otherwise they'd be folk sat there on two tip rods... and there wasn't anyone doing this.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d have found the match organiser and had a word - it might have been a hard venue but it was hard for all anglers and there was most likely money on the outcome from pools so a cheat and nicking out of your mates pockets too.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
By way of an update...

Thanks for all your feedback. On reflection, I have asked the club concerned to put me in touch with their match organiser and I will let him know what I observed. I think it's appropriate for the organiser to determine what course of action is followed based on the information at hand, and not for me to keep the information to myself.

I will update you should anything more come of this.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I would have asked him if his club allowed fishing two rods at once. I can have quite a loud voice.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
slightly off topic.....did you see the start of the match ? Highly likely the pole anglers "balled" it hence the apparent lack of feed you witnessed.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
slightly off topic.....did you see the start of the match ? Highly likely the pole anglers "balled" it hence the apparent lack of feed you witnessed.
I didn't see the start but based on the set-up of the guy I chatted to, I doubt balling in was his style. but I do know that if I were getting a bite a cast (as he was) I'd be feeding more than 6 maggots in ten minutes.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If I was a club member, I would have complained immediately. I would also complain if it was an open event. If I was just an onlooker at a club match, it's a difficult one, as it's a private event, so their private business. If I hadn't been spotted by the cheat, I would have had a walk down the bank, and tried to find the organisers and report it, and leave it with them. They could quietly wander up and hopefully catch him, if they wanted to. But you can guarantee that knowing you saw him, the cheat either shipped in the pole, or unbaited the feeder rod, as soon as you were out of sight. So you would end up being in a 'Prove It' situation with a club that you aren't a member of. Contacting the club afterwards could be a good solution. They won't be able to sanction the cheat without proof, but may quietly decide to keep an eye on him in future.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Would asked him how it was going, then said that it was unusual for river matches to be allowed to have two baited hooks in the water at the time, see what he said. Then I would of told the another competitor or match secretary depending on who was around.