What would you do ? work related !

david white

Site Supporter
Why can’t you go fishing? Your problem is caused by working up a ladder, you don’t fish from up a ladder.
Good luck

Don't see a problem as long as he doesn't need a ladder to get on his box

Interestingly, Sky and BT workers, work alone. As soon as you leave the ground you *Should* be permanently attached to something that will either restrict your fall, or arrest your fall, should you be unlucky to have a fall. If either of the Sky or BT guys have a fall, because they work alone, who's going the rescue them ??

I'm pretty sure nowadays that ladders are either short duration work, or for access only.

With regards to the fishing, I'd go.
Had a meeting with my GP yesterday won’t go into too much detail as issue at work is ongoing
but
I’ve been signed off for 3 months on a fit for work with ‘ no heavy lifting, climbing or working from a ladder ‘ due to long term lower back degeneration issue which has been recently aggravated, likely to be restrictive permanently

However with care I can do ‘ alternative ‘ duties and go fishing ( recommended for my mental health ! )

david white

Site Supporter
So every bell box is to be changed if obsolete on every service visit as a company initiative?
Sorry I missed sending you a reply

Essentially that’s what I’ve been told is to happen, reason given our old style boxes are very weathered and give a poor impression of the company ( interestingly many moons ago it was implied that would be burglars would target houses with dated looking bell boxes, especially if the book was logo’d with a now defunct alarm company, think Modern Alarms, as the system was highly likely to be non maintained ) and are to be replaced ( how this is to be funded is as yet undisclosed 🤔🤔 )

david white

Site Supporter
Not knowing the precise locations of the bell boxes (height, access) but assuming they are accessible I would suggest that the company could in theory put you through an IPAF course for a van mounted cherry picker (category 1b).

This would permit you to carry out your work in a safe manner without the need to climb a ladder.

Whilst the vehicle does have a cost implication for hire or outright purchase it is relatively insignificant compared to retraining a new employee to your knowledge / skill level.

My company uses ladders as an absolute last resort option for working at height which is why we have three employees on site (myself included) qualified on 1a, 1b, 3a & 3c equpiment.
Whilst logical the downsides to this theory in practice are
We have 6 engineers who may have to change a bell box on any given day ( including weekends and after hours ) and on many domestic properties there’d be no vehicular access or such access would be denied by client ( hence the use of ladders is deemed acceptable for short term work )

To be fair for the intruder alarm industry the HSE have never been able to provide a definitive workable guide ( and from my previous experience are indeed extremely reluctant to give advice either to an employer or for an employee to follow )

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Whilst logical the downsides to this theory in practice are
We have 6 engineers who may have to change a bell box on any given day ( including weekends and after hours ) and on many domestic properties there’d be no vehicular access or such access would be denied by client ( hence the use of ladders is deemed acceptable for short term work )

To be fair for the intruder alarm industry the HSE have never been able to provide a definitive workable guide ( and from my previous experience are indeed extremely reluctant to give advice either to an employer or for an employee to follow )
That’s fair enough - we can access all areas in our mill, grain store and warehouses either from the built in walkways or with an appropriate elevated platform so other than very rare low level (sub 3m) jobs ladders are almost never used.

I hope you get a positive resolution to this issue.

davylad

Site Supporter
I tweaked my back on Thursday lifting a heavy garden planter, my mate had to get my seatbox from the car on Friday morning, and I was in pain most of the day, until the anti inflams kicked in. There's nothing worse than a back injury, so be careful when sat all day fishing.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Sorry I missed sending you a reply

Essentially that’s what I’ve been told is to happen, reason given our old style boxes are very weathered and give a poor impression of the company ( interestingly many moons ago it was implied that would be burglars would target houses with dated looking bell boxes, especially if the book was logo’d with a now defunct alarm company, think Modern Alarms, as the system was highly likely to be non maintained ) and are to be replaced ( how this is to be funded is as yet undisclosed 🤔🤔 )
We both know who will be funding it :(

david white

Site Supporter
We both know who will be funding it :(
Logically I’d agree BUT
this is North Yorkshire and “ if it ain’t broke ...... “ I’ve certainly can’t remember replacing a working box in my 21 years living up here ( damaged on non functional maybe a handful ) most of my customers are very happy to hold on to their hard earned 😀😀

david white

Site Supporter
I tweaked my back on Thursday lifting a heavy garden planter, my mate had to get my seatbox from the car on Friday morning, and I was in pain most of the day, until the anti inflams kicked in. There's nothing worse than a back injury, so be careful when sat all day fishing.
I’m in total agreement, I’ve managed my back issues over the last 40 years and if I’m honest I’m not a huge fan of masking pain with plain killers or anti inflammatory meds unless it’s absolutely essential, usage management over the last 8 or so years has been more beneficial but then there’s a huge difference between a 25 year old with a bad back and a 65 year old with a bad back ☹️☹️
I no longer match fish so I can pick and choose session lengths, reasonably ok if I get up and walk around every hour or so

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Sky engineer the other week had to drill into my house to attach saftey device for his ladder.
He had to change some bits on dish.
Dish is approx 8ft off ground! 😐

What a load of tosh. This country is gonna ground to a halt. They came here saying that they needed to drill a securing hole into our rendered wall. I told him to do one. You can reach the dish without a ladder. The pot p##k. Grow a set of balls will ya Sky ffs.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't they have to go and work up the ladder to drill the hole in the first place?
Just saying ;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Don't they have to go and work up the ladder to drill the hole in the first place?
Just saying ;)

🤣🤣. Exactly. I jokingly offered to foot his ladder but, being a 15 year old sky ‘ engineer ‘ he didn’t know what that meant. 🙄.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
He most likely tried to avoid the costly invoice from you for doing so lol

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Look at it from Sky's perspective.

They wouldn't be able to assess every installation or maintenance activity on merit or each time so to remove the grey areas it makes more sense to have the common policy of all height working has to be conducted a certain way.
Makes no difference if the dish is 8ft off the ground or 28 ft off the ground - fall on your back and you run the risk of being s*******d for life - growing a pair will mean sweet FA then.

Also being pragmatic if the fixings are already in the wall, the next time one of their employees goes to work on the equipment they have the means for the safety system already in place.
The employer has specified the SSW and should have trained the employee in it - less chance of facing negligence claims that way.

TBH if I worked for Sky I would be glad that they take things so seriously - there are plenty of businesses that don't.