What would you choose?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I suppose much depends on what your aims and objectives are in terms of what you want, day out, some guaranteed sport or build your own knowledge levels, but would you/do you opt for:

Getting guided for/during a session
Bit of homework yourself in advance and give it a go
Give it a go and work things out over a few visits

Which of those would give the deepest learning experience for your future angling? Is there any chance of the quicker the fix and less thought yourself, the shallower the depth of learning?

Dusty

I suppose much depends on what your aims and objectives are in terms of what you want, day out, some guaranteed sport or build your own knowledge levels, but would you/do you opt for:

Which of those would give the deepest learning experience for your future angling? Is there any chance of the quicker the fix and less thought yourself, the shallower the depth of learning?

I think working it out after doing a bit of homework is the best way.
Anyone can copy the best anglers on a given day, but it’s the fact they can change and adapt that give them the winning edge ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
If l know one thing and you know one thing and you tell me your one thing then I'll know two things and know twice as much as you.
This is how life is , the more you know the better you can make decisions within your life.
So l will always try and learn everything l possible can before l go and use my knowledge base as best to my ability, and write it down as the memory can be a very fickle thing.
If you can remember exactly what you did right and wrong everywhere you fish then you're a better man than I gungadin.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I would have to say I'd do what I've done for quite a few years, homework first. Depths of fishery, is the bottom gravel, weedy or silty? or a mixture etc. what baits work best and which to avoid. Tactics, does the pole, waggler or feeder do the business? All these and a bit more can either make or break your day if you get it wrong.

Silver fan 82

For me definitely a bit of homework beforehand so I know Im at least on the right path and then go from there. If what I did worked then keep doing it, if not then tweeking a few things next time for me is part of the fun of fishing.

Gwillim

Knowledge is the answer....... how you come about that knowledge depends on the person, but as I start back into fishing after a lay off of a couple of years having chosen a venue to make my regular I looked online at what info was available, then I looked at what had been posted on here previously, then spoke to someone on here who goes there fairly regularly and then once armed with that info I went to the venue and wandered around speaking to the staff in the cafe, tackle shop and then anglers on the lakes, put all that together and I felt that I had a pretty good starting point to go from knowing which methods were working, which baits on which lakes were in favour at this time, what average depths are, elastic ratings to use etc etc from there personal experience will fill in the rest the more I fish there :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d say I primarily like figuring it out for myself as it’s more rewarding but happy to be shown the way by someone as well. Whatever gets the results really!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
If l know one thing and you know one thing and you tell me your one thing then I'll know two things and know twice as much as you.
This is how life is , the more you know the better you can make decisions within your life.
So l will always try and learn everything l possible can before l go and use my knowledge base as best to my ability, and write it down as the memory can be a very fickle thing.
If you can remember exactly what you did right and wrong everywhere you fish then you're a better man than I gungadin.

Reflection and analysis important I feel. If this then leads to finding out where/or why it worked/didn't work, then great. Would you say that therefore the more you put into it yourself (options 2 & 3) the more likely you are to move your knowledge along? Rather than just have someone put you on fish and do it all bar hold your rod?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Being coached is OK but you need to be able to understand and absorb what you are being told. I'm all for taking advice and learning from others but at some time you have to put it into practice for yourself. And that does not necessarily mean slavishly copying someone else.

nejohn

Site Supporter
It would be a bit of homework 1st but you can read loads and loads giving conflicting information so would keep it to basics, such as what species to expect, any info on depths and catch details over a long period of time (ie some covering all seasons). However there is no substitute for getting out on the bank and finding out for yourself what works best, I would also make sure I went with an open mind and tried lots of methods and baits

Gwillim

To be honest I think it depends where you are at and at what stage........ for instance just coming back from a long break I want to catch some fish and rebuild my confidence in being able to do so, so starting out knowing what to do where and when is going to aid that, had I been still fishing regularly all this time and come across a new venue I wanted to fish then sure I would probably be more reliant on my own ability to work it out for myself, but even good anglers go through bad patches and have been known to go to easy catch venues with known methods etc and bag up a few times to boost their confidence :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh there’s so much information on the internet these days you can turn up at most popular venues with a good idea of how to approach it. I’ve only been around in the Internet age so have never known any different but I imagine it was a lot harder to learn before. Of course you only get better by putting it into practice but you can certainly put yourself in a very good starting position these days.

Silver fan 82

I would have to say I'd do what I've done for quite a few years, homework first. Depths of fishery, is the bottom gravel, weedy or silty? or a mixture etc. what baits work best and which to avoid. Tactics, does the pole, waggler or feeder do the business? All these and a bit more can either make or break your day if you get it wrong.
The club lake that I have had

Maybe it would also depend on the venue your fishing. I mean if your fishing a well stocked commercial in the height of summer then it would maybe be easier to figure out what works yourself because the venue is well stocked so you could be getting bites all day long. But if your fishing a river in winter then its probably going to be alot harder to catch so a bit of info on the venue maybe needed?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I've said it on here before, keep notes on each venue. I have over 55 lakes,ponds and meres etc. Half a dozen rivers in about 20 different sections so I have a notebook on every single one that I've fished so if I return then l have a head start.
If you are just fishing one or two commercial waters rammed with carp then you just need to know the flyers. I'm not saying you will do as good as a regular matchmen but it will be a lot easier than club lakes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tinca Steve - I’ve got notes like that on my phone. Covers all the 10 Stillwater fisheries, 2 canal stretches and 18 river stretches that I’ve fished (that I can remember). Also more randomly got the 12 best marks I’ve found over the years on my Florida trips. Just rough notes on species, times of year, methods, baits etc.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Tinca Steve - I’ve got notes like that on my phone. Covers all the 10 Stillwater fisheries, 2 canal stretches and 18 river stretches that I’ve fished (that I can remember). Also more randomly got the 12 best marks I’ve found over the years on my Florida trips. Just rough notes on species, times of year, methods, baits etc.
But could you remember it all after a year or two ? I very much doubt it. Just don't lose your phone ???

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s not all that detailed so probably could remember it, just rough notes on where, when, what and how really. It’s all backed up anyway though haha

davylad

Site Supporter
We just learnt as we went on, different conditions, water levels, colour etc etc. It seem to just come natural, and you got better the more experienced you became. I reckon myself that some anglers can over complicate the art of catching fish.