What would make you give up fishing?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I read on occasion that people give up fishing and move to another hobby, or work or family commitments get in the way, but often it is after the event and when they are returning to fishing.
Personally, I stopped for a few years in my early twenties due to college life, work, women and marriage but once I stepped foot on the bank again that was it, to coin a phrase, I was hooked :D

Now I don't go out as often as I'd like, too many other commitments, too much going on in the background, but I can spend many hours between bank visits talking about it, or playing with my tackle (oo er missus :D)

So, what would make you give up fishing, if anything?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Ill health. When I had my operation in 2006 I was physically unable to fish for a few months. In my 30s my fishing became secondary for a few reasons, young family, depression, cost. For a few years I concentrated more on distance running (5 marathons, approx. 40 half marathons or twenty milers). The move to Northamptonshire 25 years ago re-ignited my desire to fish and that has not changed though this year has seen me fish less than I have done in other years.

I can't see me ever giving up now until health/age restricts me.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think we all have a break from time to time because of other commitments that take priority, but after 56 years of fishing , I'm still wetting a line or 2. For me to pack it up altogether though, it would have to be something very serious indeed. I'm lucky in some respects with having the club waters only about 10 - 15 minutes walk away, I have no work commitments and can go 7 days a week if I want to, but I think my one regret is that the club waters don't allow night fishing, and that's what I like doing most. I really miss not being able to do that.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Having fished on and off over the years I'm definitely sticking with it this time, so many places / types of fishing I have to explore yet, I definitely won't get bored with it. Like you Dave I don;t go often enough for it to become jaded. I can only see three things stopping me fishing.

Ill health / incapacity
Missus / family becoming ill requiring constant care.
Losing my driving licence - I'm beggared if I am going to carry a fully loaded S36 far !! Although I could get around that with hiring a taxi, not too so sure taxi driver would appreciate a stink bag & soaking / muddy kit in the car though.

Hopefully I'll have many more years fishing yet.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It would take injury or illness for me to stop. I don’t know what people do with their time without fishing, there’s not much else you can fill a whole day with without spending a ton of money. If it’s a nice day and I have free time I go fishing, unless I’ve got something else planned I just feel I’ve wasted the day if not.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I’ve had time off from fishing over the years for various reasons.
Latest one was over the last two years where I fished very little.
But I’ve been out most weekends since the middle of September and enjoyed every moment.
That’s the beauty of fishing you can come back to it after some time off.
Nothing has or ever will make me give it up entirely (except dying).

angel

Site Supporter
Ill health or injury.
I have had one or two mishaps over the years which have curtailed my fishing, I no longer fish rivers on my own, steep banks are out and I baulk at yomping a mile carrying my kit. I still have the bulk of my kit but these days only use float and feeder rods and occasionally pole with a chair.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Its more a moral dilemma with me, I’m in the later years of life and I’m keener now than I ever have been but every now and then I ask myself what I’m doing, ie. an eyeball coming back on the hook after a missed pellet waggler bite, blood oozing out of a beautiful ghost carp, a cormorant that took 3 days for the fishery owner to finally put it out of its misery, fish with old hooks still lodged in a ripped mouth.

bezzer

I gave up and got rid of all my tackle in 1988 and then started again in 2007. All down to meeting my now wife and bringing up a family.

Although I don't go as often as I did when I was younger, I think only death or ill health would now stop me going.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I didn't fish from 1981 through to 1991 due to bringing up the boys. My late wife was a professional classical singer and was away a lot. What would curtail my piscatorial activities now is ill health.

Gwillim

Death as others have said.

Have had a couple of time outs over the years started when I was around 6/7 yrs old, military duties were not always conducive to fishing, then later work took me all over the world and so the fishing was very sporadic, then I was hit with ill health in 2013 when the seizures began and they found the cancer, and then the other associated problems began, neuropathy, erosive gastritis, thyroid problems, liver disease, degenerative arthritis and then throw in spondylitis of the spine just to cap it off lol

BUT i'm back on the bank even if it is not very regular at the moment as can only get out on weekends and when mates are available, still seeking a weekday fishing buddy so I can get out more but hoping that will happen in the spring as most who would be available don't do the cold and wet

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have customers who have very nearly lost their sight and fish by touch after someone has taken them and set them up,had amputations,stroke and pretty much every obstacle you can think of but because they want to go ....they find a way.
To put the boot on the other foot if you dont want to go never force yourself as long as its not letting somebody down in a match or similar just take a break or try a different style. When you start with the cost of everything and the difficulty of getting on the bank that is the time you are considering abandoning the sport.

johng19

me@home.com
I didn't start fishing till I was about 25 26, and besides the odd few weeks here and there have not stop. I do have the odd patches where I just dont feel like going. Since I joined the club I'm in, I fish more or less every week. I think I would have to be very I'll or dead to stop totally.

RichB

I've only ever pleasure fished. I've been on a few long day sessions for carp, but I never went full bivvy. (Just for context).

I had a long stint where, like others, due to other commitments, I couldn't fit in fishing. However, I wouldn't say I'd given up during that time. It was still something I wanted to do, I just didn't have the time. Prior to this year I'd probably only been fishing 4 or 5 times in 15 years but I always enjoyed it. And having now the time to fish, and also being able to take my son's fishing, this year has been absolutely fantastic.

It'd take some sort of physical impairment to stop me fishing.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My local club has a lake that has parking very close to swims even have a ramp for a wheelchair it is also within a sensible taxi ride. Not
my favourite water but so what. Also have a lake twenty minutes walk away and my youngest lives halfway so a lift would not be too much
to ask. To answer the OP, old age or ill health.