What type of fish is this please?

62tucker

Site Supporter
It was. Like a torpedo. Not sure why more not stock.
Maybe someone knows the reason.
If they don’t eat anglers bait as has been suggested they must eat something to get that big.
On a pleasure session you might catch 20/30 carp but if you caught a 10lb grass I bet you be talking about that 1 fish

I have done a little research on them now 62tucker and according to Wikipedia....................

'Grass carp are known to have spawned and established self-reproducing populations in only six of the many larger Northern Hemisphere rivers into which they have been stocked. Their failure to establish populations in other rivers suggests they have quite specific reproductive requirements'

So that may explain it.

John :)

BoldBear

There are around 21 of these grass Carp in one of our club lakes next to the river Ouzel and they are all between around 18lb up to around 22lb plus; and they often spend their summers days just drifting just below the surface almost lifeless, but they are rarely caught on purpose; some anglers try for them on this smallish lake using insects fished zig-rig style up near the surface.

They were put into the lake when it was a trout only fishery to try and keep the weed down, as they eat lots of weed; however there is still loads of weed and we are always trying to drag weed out before we fish for the Tench that are also in the lake.

Keith

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
BAA own a stillwater called Uckinghall that is close to the Lower Severn and a chap I used to work with has had four different twenties from there.

Few years ago the Severn flooded into the lake and a few escaped into the river.
First week of the new season and two twenties came out to Barbel anglers.
AT ran an article on it and two other different doubles came out same season.
Catches have been sparse since but a fourteen was caught two seasons ago.

rudd

Site Supporter
It was. Like a torpedo. Not sure why more not stock.
Maybe someone knows the reason.
If they don’t eat anglers bait as has been suggested they must eat something to get that big.
On a pleasure session you might catch 20/30 carp but if you caught a 10lb grass I bet you be talking about that 1 fish
They take dog biscuits, bread and corn - three baits I have caught them on.