What type of fish is this please?

Good morning all :)

I have not been on here for a while due to being very busy with my NHS volunteer work, ferrying people back and forth for Covid jabs.

I did manage to go fishing yesterday for the first time this year and it was thanks to a gentleman whom I had taken for both of his jabs. His home backs on to the Canal.
When I took him for his first jab we got chatting about fishing and he insisted that when I took him for his second I should bring my rod and "Have a go from my garden." I did not want to hurt his feeling so yesterday I collected him with my rod in the car.
To be honest I was not really looking forward to fishing it due to being the wrong side of all the reeds and the fact he feeds the swans and ducks, a lot, so I was going to have to contend with them too :eek: however I am so glad that I did.

When we got back he put the kettle on and got some bread out to feed the Swans. His garden is very wide and he said he would sit in the sun at one end "To keep the birds away from you."

I had some maggots but seeing all the soaked bread he was throwing in I decided to squidge some onto my little hook. I was fishing very light with 2lb line. I cast out, the float landed and seconds later it shot under, it would not come back up! 10 minutes later I had a 5.5lb Carp on his lawn! I changed up to 4lb line and a size 18 hook because my nerves were shot lol.
I was only there for 3 hours but ended up with 5 Common Carp, up to 6lb, 2 Perch (one was 2lb 14oz) and one odd looking Carp which is the reason for this post.
It was long, thin and weighed in at 9lb 7oz which for it's length seemed light for a Carp but it was all muscle and no fat deep belly. Goodness knows what it was, I have never caught one before so I am hoping some one on here can identify it.

Thank you, John :)

20210402_135546.jpg 20210402_135600.jpg 20210402_135728.jpg

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Also known as the Amur carp from the river they originated from between china and russia, they have no close relatives in the rest of the species.
The EA stocked them years ago into part of the Lancaster canal to try and determine just how effective they might be in controlling weed growth but I never saw any results published anywhere possibly because they did not eat enough weed alone to justify stocking them, they have a pretty diverse diet not just weed.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a cracking catch from anywhere but very nice from a canal. As said above, I've heard grassies were stocked as a project to control weed growth, and at first it was said they wouldn't take anglers baits, so must have been stocked into the canal somehow!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
🤣🤣. I’ve only had one grass carp myself but, that’s exactly what I thought .... What the devil is that. Defo a grass carp matey. Well done. Nice fish. 👍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice one BB. :upthumb:
I've had a few over the years and they normally fight harder after they're in the landing net, at which point they tend to go ballistic. ;)