What type of Carp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Hi Folks,

It's me again (novice angler), my mate caught this today from our usual haunt and we aren't sure what breed of Carp it is, can someone clarify for us ?.

thanks a lot.

MALC

Hi Andy it's a Mirror Carp (although it's as near as you'll get to a Leather Carp) only 1 scale by the tail and a couple by the dorsal fin.

If it had No Scales it would be a Leather Carp which was originaly breed with no scales to make it easier for cooking (no descaleing).

Hope that helps.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

AndyA

That's great Malc, many thanks for the information ... we thought we "might have had a Ghost".

cheers

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi as previously said almost a leather carp. I would add that itsa cross between a carp and a koi to give that silver rather than A bronze colour. A pool I fish contains these crosses in both common and mirror varieties. And look almost identical.
I believe that there is some difference in ideas as to what constitutes a ghost carp. When I first encountered fish so called they were silver but had a white line down there backs. When the cruised near the surface all you could see was a white line travelling thru the water. Since then I have seen this silver type described thus. Any way still a damn fine fish. John

chill out go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.