What sort of generation are we rearing?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Yesterday, in class, There was a 14 year old lad who was working very slowly. I told him that he needed his elbow drilling and tapping and a grease nipple fitting. The kids had no idea what I was talking about and some of them even thought I was being crude by saying nipple.:(

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There is the other side of the coin. Ask most young ones these days to do something and you'll get the answer..."I can't be bothered..." or get told to do one.

Dusty

There is the other side of the coin. Ask most young ones these days to do something and you'll get the answer..."I can't be bothered..." or get told to do one.

Im pretty sure that’s not true. In fact I have many friends who work in educational environments who will attest that the overwhelming majority of young people are polite, respectful and hardworking.

It would be very easy for me to say that much of the older generation are cantankerous and rude but again this is not the case and would be a lazy generalisation.

In response to the original post... I’m in my late 20s and so wouldn’t have a bloody clue what you were on about it you said that to me.

Blanks

Site Supporter
Probably better to have a quiet word in private if you are concerned about a childs performance, maybe problems at home or bullying.

angel

Site Supporter
Why assume that the child may have a problem ?
Maybe he's just showing his contempt for authority and couldn't care less attitude that I see in some of todays youth.
"In the dark ages" as quoted above, kids had respect and discipline and grew up well balanced, law abiding and decent human beings. We must have been doing some things right.

Dusty

Why assume that the child may have a problem ?
Maybe he's just showing his contempt for authority and couldn't care less attitude that I see in some of todays youth.
"In the dark ages" as quoted above, kids had respect and discipline and grew up well balanced, law abiding and decent human beings. We must have been doing some things right.

What an absolute load of rubbish. Rose tinted specs well and truly on.
Are you seriously trying to argue that everyone from that generation grew up to be law abiding citizens and well balanced members of society? Absolutely deluded in every sense of the word.

Totally agree with everything Neil posted above.

angel

Site Supporter
No I'm not suggesting that for a minute.
Nor am I deluded.
The point I have made is that its wrong to assume the child may have a serious problem just because he works slowly.
It's just as valid to consider he may have a cob on.

angel

Site Supporter
Reading above.... who has suggested capital punishment deportation and prison?
We are talking about a potentially lazy kid here not Ronnie Biggs

Blanks

Site Supporter
I did not see anything in the OP to suggest the child was rude or disrespectful, only that there was a concern about his work rate. I would suggest taking the sensible route of finding out if there is a problem before resorting to assuming the worst and disciplining the child.

Dusty

No I'm not suggesting that for a minute.
Nor am I deluded.
The point I have made is that its wrong to assume the child may have a serious problem just because he works slowly.
It's just as valid to consider he may have a cob on.

There was nothing wrong with the opening part of your post, it’s a perfectly reasonable point of view that the child may not like authority or be A wrongun.

The second part of your post suggests that nobody in today’s younger generation will go on to grow up and be a decent member of society which couldn’t be further from the truth.

One thing that always gets me on topics like this is that people talk about tougher discipline back in the day.. it clearly didn’t work because you still had the same kids being repeatedly naughty or involved in criminal activity.
It’s also interesting that a lot of people criticising today’s youth are part of the generation that it deplores for being unable to parent it properly!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Im about your age David

and as a schoolchild, you would not of wanted to teach me

some lessons yes, a couple of others maybe, but some of the stuff I was forced to sit through meant nothing to me

I was in a streamed school, classes were populated by your ability and I found myself in an "A" streamed class and more of a round peg in a square hole you couldnt have found

whilst the teaching of commerce, science in about three seperate forms, some english and most of the advanced mathematics went down well with some of the pupils in my class

I was bored sheetless, prefering the classes that the lower streamed children had as their basics, woodwork, engineering, metalwork etc

and so I was a rebellious child and often found myself as a back row pupil and in trouble

angel

Site Supporter
I was not suggesting that all of todays youth grow up wrong uns.
I have seen and experienced personally an attitude and contempt in some young people which although, yes it existed of course, but I don't believe was as bad in "the dark ages" as it is today.
I don't expect the OP case was cause for discipline anyway, as stated the child was merely working slowly.
I'm still surprised by the comment that us older generation need to get over the way life is now and that we should learn to communicate with the younger generation... I've always believed that to be a two way street.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Just as a matter of interest when was the last time anyone used a grease gun on a grease nipple ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just as a matter of interest when was the last time anyone used a grease gun on a grease nipple?

It's been nearly a year now. However, that's only because I avoid working, and particularly servicing, as much as possible. If I worked and serviced full time, it would be a matter of days. However, I'd not expect that many people I know, regardless of their age, to know what a grease nipple was.