What rod to use?

mistert

Hi all, I'm due to fish a Southend Lake (Waltham Abbey, Essex) in a few weeks for silvers, where I'm advised the best tactic is to fish at 40 to 60 ft using a waggler. There are also carp in the lake (just in case I hook into one). I have a drennan acolyte ultra 13ft which I think is under powered and also a korum 10ft opportunist which is probably over powered. All my other gear are budget buys, bought when I started fishing again 3 years ago - a 12' Ron Thompson match rod (10-30g) and a NGT 10ft feeder/quiver rod. Looking for what type of rod would be best at a reasonable price or if any of what I have are suitable. Appreciate any advice. Thanks Paul.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you’re fishing for silvers don’t worry about the carp unless you’re likely to hook a lot of them and/or they’re quite likely to be quite big. You should be fine with the acolyte.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
For silvers the Acolyte Ultra float rod will do you just fine! Mine has handled double figure fish with no problem on 4lb line particularly at this time of year. In warmer weather or with lively fish it will take you a while to get them to the bank more so than if you went for a commercial p/w rod which is much more powerful. For winter fishing and at the distances you are talking about I'd take along a bomb rod (if you go the feeder route). My Browning Sphere ( a bit pricey) would be ideal for that, but there are plenty of short (3m) rods around with sensitive tips for silvers/winter fishing - others here would be more up to speed on those than I

alsur

Site Supporter
Hi all, I'm due to fish a Southend Lake (Waltham Abbey, Essex) in a few weeks for silvers, where I'm advised the best tactic is to fish at 40 to 60 ft using a waggler. There are also carp in the lake (just in case I hook into one). I have a drennan acolyte ultra 13ft which I think is under powered and also a korum 10ft opportunist which is probably over powered. All my other gear are budget buys, bought when I started fishing again 3 years ago - a 12' Ron Thompson match rod (10-30g) and a NGT 10ft feeder/quiver rod. Looking for what type of rod would be best at a reasonable price or if any of what I have are suitable. Appreciate any advice. Thanks Paul.
If that is the match lake at Southend Farm bear in mine it's deep 12 ft at 13 meters

Last edited:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Southend farm has a lot of carp to 20lb plus and tons of skimmers and bream, a good power waggler will do the job... with a hi tech 8lb line, pole also works, but rig up for biguns... pellet waggler is a good method, choppie and caster for the bream, but carp will move in on it eventually

Arry

Site Supporter
If that is the match lake at Southend Farm bear in mine it's deep
Yep... one of the banks (can't remember which one) is deffo a top 3 or 4

Arry

Site Supporter
Good brekky in the cafe too...👍

alsur

Site Supporter
Southend farm has a lot of carp to 20lb plus and tons of skimmers and bream, a good power waggler will do the job... with a hi tech 8lb line, pole also works, but rig up for biguns... pellet waggler is a good method, choppie and caster for the bream, but carp will move in on it eventually
If I hadn't given up Match fishing I would be there this weekend, If I was I would fish Pole at 13 meters with worm and caster with some dark ground bait and a feeder. Last time I was there I drew the lake on far side Dillons I think I won that lake on pole that with 38lb over half weight was Carp.

Arry

Site Supporter
The carp are a fair bit smaller over there, the Match Lake has quite a few lumps in it... one of our club lads had nigh on 200lbs of pellet waggler caught carp, with 2 over the 20lb mark

alsur

Site Supporter
The carp are a fair bit smaller over there, the Match Lake has quite a few lumps in it... one of our club lads had nigh on 200lbs of pellet waggler caught carp, with 2 over the 20lb mark
The best I had was just under 8, pellet wag good on match lake especially in summer and yes Carp are bigger Carp over 8lb have to be weighed and not put in keepnet.