What rod and reel should I go with?

scuttster

Site Supporter
I believe that'll be a sea rod mate, there's spinning and boat rods in the range if I recall.
I can also see reference as an ice fishing rod. (Technically spinning but only 3’!!)

Is it 😂? On Amazon it said for carp fishing. It’s made by Shakespeare but I think you know that already
Have you got a link to the rod you purchased?

scuttster

Site Supporter
Adding to the post above, should I replace the rod or can I continue to use it?
Without seeing for sure which rod it is then people unfortunately can‘t say. However if it is the boat version then I would say so yes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Adding to the post above, should I replace the rod or can I continue to use it?
If it’s a spinning rod then it’s worth having but not much point having the boat rod unless you’re going on a boat! Easiest way to tell is if it’s a uk version the spinning rod should have a casting weight written on it in grams and the boat rod a line rating in lbs. However it’s a US version it’ll have a line rating for both although what that rate is might give it away. US spinning might have a casting weight in oz as well but I’m not so sure on that.

ev4dawin

Ok here’s a picture of the rod so you can see if it’s in grams or lbs

Edit: I can’t see anywhere where it would say grams or lbs so I’ll ask my grandpa to send another picture on the other side of the rod

Attachments

• 15C9BAB2-7395-4631-A806-AE47D4BE4645.jpeg
    15C9BAB2-7395-4631-A806-AE47D4BE4645.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 13

ev4dawin

Also I why can’t you use a sea rod for corse fishing? Is it like undergunned or something

TrickyD

Site Supporter
A boat rod will be heavier and stronger than a coarse rod, used with heavier lines for fishing off boats at sea, usually going for bigger fish, cod,bass, possibly sharks. The spinning version would be a bit better for coarse fishing as they are much thinner and lighter (usually), but not ideal.

ev4dawin

A boat rod will be heavier and stronger than a coarse rod, used with heavier lines for fishing off boats at sea, usually going for bigger fish, cod,bass, possibly sharks. The spinning version would be a bit better for coarse fishing as they are much thinner and lighter (usually), but not ideal.
Ah ok thank you. I have the spinning version and it has been fine to me but I think I might end up getting an actual coarae rod rather than one that isn’t ideal.

FishermanEire

Site Supporter
Thanks to all contributers. I found this thread really interesting. All my tackle is OLD and I'm in the market for more modern gear