What rod and reel should I go with?

ev4dawin

With regards to preventing tangles the best piece of advice I can give is to feather the line with your finger just before the the rig hits the water. Or use your line clip. This will also ensure that you are casting the same distance every time and your fishing in the same spot every cast which IMO is essential when feeder fishing.
Also avoid over filling the spool with line as if you have too much line on the spool this can cause tangles.
Yes when I watched the Andy May video, he filled it to the lip and he said that you should feel a smooth feel over from the line to the lip.

Silver fan 82

I believe that I have 4 inch 5lb hooklinks although I don't remember that well.
Under filling the spool with line will mean you won't be able to cast as far as you would with a spool that is filled nicely to the lip.
Those hooklinks sound ideal for the method. What size carp are you likely to be catching?

ev4dawin

Ok, I want to change the subject now as I'm happy with all the advice given. I wanna look for a float rod for the same conditions as I said above. So I would be fishing under 20 yards out and in the margins. Anyone have any ideas on what I should go for?

ev4dawin

Under filling the spool with line will mean you won't be able to cast as far as you would with a spool that is filled nicely to the lip.
Those hooklinks sound ideal for the method. What size carp are you likely to be catching?
Uhhhh, any size up to around mid double figures. There are some carp in a match lake a bit far from my grandpas (30-40 mins) and there are like 10 carp that go over 20lb. However, I doubt I would catch one of that calibre.

Silver fan 82

Uhhhh, any size up to around mid double figures. There are some carp in a match lake a bit far from my grandpas (30-40 mins) and there are like 10 carp that go over 20lb. However, I doubt I would catch one of that calibre.
If it's likely that you will catch carp around mid doubles I would probably go with a heavier hooklink of 5lb then. No sense in fishing too light IMO. There will be people that will say you can land fish of that size on a light hooklink. While this may be true its not ideal IMO.
It all depends on what you're likely to be catching.

ev4dawin

If it's likely that you will catch carp around mid doubles I would probably go with a heavier hooklink of 5lb then. No sense in fishing too light IMO. There will be people that will say you can land fish of that size on a light hooklink. While this may be true its not ideal IMO.
It all depends on what you're likely to be catching.
Ok, I will look at maybe a 5lb hooklink. Right now I don't recall what size hooklink I have but I will probably pick up some more hooklinks when I order the rod.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Ok, I want to change the subject now as I'm happy with all the advice given. I wanna look for a float rod for the same conditions as I said above. So I would be fishing under 20 yards out and in the margins. Anyone have any ideas on what I should go for?
For pure margin fishing targeting carp, I would say a pellet Waggler rod or power float rod would probably suit you rather than an out and out Float/Waggler rod.

The ninja or frenzee reels could be paired with this rod and you could even use the 6lb line for targeting carp of a decent size. I personally wouldn’t use Daiwa Sensor though if you plan to float fish as it is thicker and will be more visible to fish, fine for feeder fishing but not float imo. Fill the other spool with 4lb line and this should cover you for most float/feeder situations on commercial waters.

I don’t have much area of expertise on the type of rods mentioned but I’d imagine there are plenty of decent rods around the £50 mark that would do the job.

Carl c

Hi again,I also use a Shakespeare sigma supra 10ft 6inch pellet waggler rod for fishing on commercials with a diawa ninja 3012a loaded with 4lb maxima chameleon line it works for me.
Have a look on YouTube Angling times you will see one in action

ev4dawin

Hi again,I also use a Shakespeare sigma supra 10ft 6inch pellet waggler rod for fishing on commercials with a diawa ninja 3012a loaded with 4lb maxima chameleon line it works for me.
Have a look on YouTube Angling times you will see one in action
Ah thank you so much, I will look into it

ev4dawin

Does anyone know where I can get 4 inch bait band rigs? I’m trying to find some that are under 6lb as I’m trying to fit a combination. Any help appreciated.

Edit: I found some that are 4lb which is ideal, but they are 6 inches. I’ve heard many times that 4-5 inch hooklinks are the best for feeder fishing but would a 6 inch rig be ok?

Last edited:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Does anyone know where I can get 4 inch bait band rigs? I’m trying to find some that are under 6lb as I’m trying to fit a combination. Any help appreciated.

Edit: I found some that are 4lb which is ideal, but they are 6 inches. I’ve heard many times that 4-5 inch hooklinks are the best for feeder fishing but would a 6 inch rig be ok?
It depends what type of feeder fishing you are doing. If you using a maggot feeder I generally use anything from a 6-12 inch hooklength. It depends how cagey the fish are, I generally go for a longer hook length if the fish aren’t feeding confidently.

For method feeder fishing you bury your bait (and hook length) into the feeder and cover it with pellets, groundbait or a mixture of both. Generally a hooklength of 3.5 - 4inches works best for this and the breaking strain of this tends to be higher than your mainline to act as a shock absorber when striking/playing a fish.

I used the Drennan method hooklengths on my last outing - purely because it is what my tackle shop had in stock but this or something similar is what you are looking for.

I’m no expert and I’ve only been feeder fishing since December but I’ve picked up loads of hints and tips from the guys on here, plus through trial and error.

YouTube is a great place to look at to. I watched a couple of short method feeder videos from the likes of Des Shipp and Andy May just to pick up a few pointers. Have a little search on YouTube and ask in here if you have any other questions. 👍

ev4dawin

It depends what type of feeder fishing you are doing. If you using a maggot feeder I generally use anything from a 6-12 inch hooklength. It depends how cagey the fish are, I generally go for a longer hook length if the fish aren’t feeding confidently.

For method feeder fishing you bury your bait (and hook length) into the feeder and cover it with pellets, groundbait or a mixture of both. Generally a hooklength of 3.5 - 4inches works best for this and the breaking strain of this tends to be higher than your mainline to act as a shock absorber when striking/playing a fish.

I used the Drennan method hooklengths on my last outing - purely because it is what my tackle shop had in stock but this or something similar is what you are looking for.

I’m no expert and I’ve only been feeder fishing since December but I’ve picked up loads of hints and tips from the guys on here, plus through trial and error.

YouTube is a great place to look at to. I watched a couple of short method feeder videos from the likes of Des Shipp and Andy May just to pick up a few pointers. Have a little search on YouTube and ask in here if you have any other questions. 👍
Yes I do method feeder fishing. My grandad told me that the hooklink should always be lighter than the mainline, but I'll test it nextime I go out :)

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Yes I do method feeder fishing. My grandad told me that the hooklink should always be lighter than the mainline, but I'll test it nextime I go out :)
Generally that is correct for float fishing, maggot feeder fishing I do the same -for method feeder esp inline types it is generally recommended to use a stronger hook length to act as a shock absorber.

ev4dawin

Generally that is correct for float fishing, maggot feeder fishing I do the same -for method feeder esp inline types it is generally recommended to use a stronger hook length to act as a shock absorber.
Ah ok, I will look for 7-10lb hooklinks for my method rigs.

ev4dawin

Another question. Sorry for all of the pestering lol. My question is is what reel would work well with a Shakespeare Ugly Stik? Thank you in advance.

ev4dawin

I'm thinking about a daiwa ninja 2508 or 3000. Wondering if that might be to much. Am gonna load 6lb line onto whatever reel I get as that will probably be come my main feeder rod.

ev4dawin

I think I am going to get a Daiwa ninja 2508 and load it with 6lb chameleon. The rod is an Ugly Stik GX2. Any thoughts about whether I should step the reel size up or down?