What rod and reel should I go with?

ev4dawin

Hi all! New here, and wanted to ask about method feeder fishing. I'm looking for a rod and reel both under £100 which will work well together. I would be casting in the margins to up to around 20 yards. I have 2 Shakespeare rods already and might give them to someone if I end up getting something better and more versatile. Also I would be catching single figure to double figure carp along with bream. I would be fishing guru hybrid feeders as well.

Many thanks, Evan

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Welcome!!

For short Chucks up to 20 yards something like one of the new Preston carp feeder rods would be ideal. I believe they retail for around £50.

The Daiwa Ninja feeder rod would also be worth looking at, the new models can be picked up for around £60-£65 and are well suited to mixed species fishing. The matching Ninja reel is very good value and comes with a spare spool. These usually retail for around £50 and come highly rated by many fellow MDers.

Around about a 10ft rod would cope with the type of fishing you plan to do.

ev4dawin

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely be looking for those two products then. Another question, what mainline should I go with?

Evan

satinet

Site Supporter
I think 3000 is a very versatile size.
Sensor mainline is 6lb bulk will keep you going a long time

ev4dawin

I think 3000 is a very versatile size.
Sensor mainline is 6lb bulk will keep you going a long time
Currently, the 3000 is out of stock but I will keep looking. Sensor mainline? Never heard of that brand before.

Carl c

Hi ,welcome,im new on here too,
You say you have Shakespeare rods,I have a Shakespeare sigma supra 10ft 6in for feeder, bomb fishing they are good rods cope well with fairly big fish,I use diawa ninja 3012a about £50 also drennan red range reel about £28 both decent reels imo.
Hope this helps

ev4dawin

Hi ,welcome,im new on here too,
You say you have Shakespeare rods,I have a Shakespeare sigma supra 10ft 6in for feeder, bomb fishing they are good rods cope well with fairly big fish,I use diawa ninja 3012a about £50 also drennan red range reel about £28 both decent reels imo.
Hope this helps
Yes I have Shakespeare ones, but I forget the name let me find them really quick.

ev4dawin

I believe I have 2 Shakespeare Ugly Stik rods, one with some NGT reel and the other is a daiwa one of some sort. Both are 10ft

ev4dawin

Welcome!!

For short Chucks up to 20 yards something like one of the new Preston carp feeder rods would be ideal. I believe they retail for around £50.

The Daiwa Ninja feeder rod would also be worth looking at, the new models can be picked up for around £60-£65 and are well suited to mixed species fishing. The matching Ninja reel is very good value and comes with a spare spool. These usually retail for around £50 and come highly rated by many fellow MDers.

Around about a 10ft rod would cope with the type of fishing you plan to do.
What Preston rod should I look at getting if I prefer the Preston to the Ninja?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Screenshot 2021-05-01 at 18.48.33.png The top one is 3012D, what one should I go with, this is off angling direct.
The D is for double handle - just so you are aware.

As @satinet says 6lb is a good starting point. I have 4lb on my spare spool which gives the option of using it with my float rod.

@nejohn recently pointed out a potential alternative with the Frenzee FXT reel. He was impressed with the quality. I bid on a couple to try to pick one up on the cheap but unfortunately was outbid last minute. Here you can pick one up for £40.

Preston Rods - Preston Ignition Carp Feeder Rod

I don’t personally own one but I have seen a few posts on here from some that do and have only seen positive stuff so far. This has replaced the tyson range I believe and they had an issue with tips snapping but I’ve not read anything to suggest the new models have the same issue.

Do a search on the forums and see if you can find out further info from those that have posted about them already.

Last edited:

ev4dawin

The D is for double handle - just so you are aware.

As @satinet says 6lb is a good starting point. I have 4lb on my spare spool which gives the option of using it with my float rod.

@nejohn recently pointed out a potential alternative with the Frenzee FXT reel. He was impressed with the quality. I bid on a couple to try to pick one up on the cheap but unfortunately was outbid last minute. Here you can pick one up for £40.

After looking at the Frenzee, I think it might be a good candidate. Is any 6lb line a good option or is there a specific one I should go for?

satinet

Site Supporter
After looking at the Frenzee, I think it might be a good candidate. Is any 6lb line a good option or is there a specific one I should go for?
I would just go for a strong one like sensor or chameleon as above. (The reason I buy sensor is you can get spools that are like 2000m). For 20 yard chucks line diameter isn't important. The fish are feeding directly off an artificial plastic feeder so another 0.03mm of line diameter one way or the other probably won't put them off.

Takes can be very violent - strong tackle is good.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I’ve only used Daiwa Sensor & Maxima. I like the Maxima over the 2 but the Sensor is good value as you can pick up bulk spools cheap and it last ages. Usually around 3000 metres for not much more than a tenner. A 600m spool of maxima will set you back around £15 but it is very strong and is thinner than the sensor line.

ev4dawin

I would just go for a strong one like sensor or chameleon as above. (The reason I buy sensor is you been get spools that are like 2000m). For 20 yard chucks line diameter isn't important. The fish are feeding directly off an artificial plastic feeder so another 0.03mm of line diameter one way or the other probably won't put them off.

Takes can be very violent - strong tackle is good.
Indeed they can be lol. Had some absolute screamers before but managed to get them in. I will have a look at lines and will make some decisions soon.

ev4dawin

I’ve only used Daiwa Sensor & Maxima. I like the Maxima over the 2 but the Sensor is good value as you can pick up bulk spools cheap and it last ages. Usually around 3000 metres for not much more than a tenner. A 600m spool of maxima will set you back around £15 but it is very strong and is thinner than the sensor line.
Ok, so I need to decide between lots of line for in the future, or strong line that will help with the takes. I would probably go for the strong line even though it's quite expensive. For spooling a reel for feeders, how far to the lip should I fill it with?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Ok, so I need to decide between lots of line for in the future, or strong line that will help with the takes. I would probably go for the strong line even though it's quite expensive. For spooling a reel for feeders, how far to the lip should I fill it with?

Have a look at this Andy May video which will give you a good visual idea as to how far to fill your spool.

ev4dawin

I also want to look at investing in an all round float rod for all scenarios. Any ideas on what I should go with in terms of rod, reel and line? Thank you all for your support and advice it is greatly appreciated.