What pole would you suggest for £1500

chris1967

Site Supporter
So your saying the power tube is better than your mates £3000 maver pole, and better than all the over priced floppy flagship poles you see being used at the bank
😂😂 ( inserts clown emoji here)
Seriously

FishingNewbie

So your saying the power tube is better than your mates £3000 maver pole, and better than all the over priced floppy flagship poles you see being used at the bank
😂😂 ( inserts clown emoji here)
Seriously
Not quite. In terms of strength & stiffness, my old Carptek is better than his £3000 Maver. In terms of weight, his Maver is better.
He also had a Carptek where he broke 1 section in 16 years, then 4 sections in 18 months of his Maver.

After reading the marketing blurb of our space age technology carbon poles, I hoped that in 20 years of advancement I could buy a pole just as stiff & strong as my Carptek AND much lighter. Don't really want to be scared of using it!

If you think that you know which pole is just as stiff/strong and say just 20% lighter - i'd be interested please?

FishingNewbie

Hmmm 20% of like three kilo
Well, we actually weighed both and flopped them around when he got his new Maver 18 months ago. From memory... his Carptek was 1050g at 13m, and his Maver was around 750, so the Carptek is 1050/750 = 1.4 (40% heavier). Hence, I hoped after 20 years of development we may get to something half way between the weights (say 900g) and maintain the strength & stiffness of the Carptek.

Seriously... does anyone know if a pole as strong/stiff as the Carptek but 20% lighter actually exists?

woz84

Well, we actually weighed both and flopped them around when he got his new Maver 18 months ago. From memory... his Carptek was 1050g at 13m, and his Maver was around 750, so the Carptek is 1050/750 = 1.4 (40% heavier). Hence, I hoped after 20 years of development we may get to something half way between the weights (say 900g) and maintain the strength & stiffness of the Carptek.

Seriously... does anyone know if a pole as strong/stiff as the Carptek but 20% lighter actually exists?
I used to own the carptek was a great pole

chris1967

Site Supporter
There will be matey 1050 is heavy at 13m , of the top of my head I’ll say browning z7-2 same sections all the way though as the extreme margin

FishingNewbie

There will be matey 1050 is heavy at 13m , of the top of my head I’ll say browning z7-2 same sections all the way though as the extreme margin
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean this one that I can't find for sale anywhere? https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/browning-xitan-z7-2-power-special-set-16m
Looking at the weight it's nearly 1500 at 16m. I just weighted my own Carptek and it's 1028 at 13m and at 16m (with 2 extensions) is 1548. That's with effectively with 3 heavy butt sections of the 13m butt, plus 2 x 14.5m extensions. If they weren't 3 'fully loaded' extensions in my package, I expect it would be no heavier that the Browning.
Maybe the browning would be stiffer, I don't know, but I was looking for something as stiff as the Carptek but 20% lighter, where the Browning doesn't seem a lighter pole.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
T
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean this one that I can't find for sale anywhere? https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/browning-xitan-z7-2-power-special-set-16m
Looking at the weight it's nearly 1500 at 16m. I just weighted my own Carptek and it's 1028 at 13m and at 16m (with 2 extensions) is 1548. That's with effectively with 3 heavy butt sections of the 13m butt, plus 2 x 14.5m extensions. If they weren't 3 'fully loaded' extensions in my package, I expect it would be no heavier that the Browning.
Maybe the browning would be stiffer, I don't know, but I was looking for something as stiff as the Carptek but 20% lighter, where the Browning doesn't seem a lighter pole.
Tricast perception xn about 1433 gm at 15.8 m supposed to be strong and has very high ratings, i have never tried it but did have a 980.. worth a look

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
It’s been said many times it’s balance not the weight. If all the weight is distributed to the bigger sections it will ‘feel’ lighter than one that weighs the same on the scales but has more weight distributed in the thinner sections. I never look at the weight of a pole and did a detailed video review of my new pole and didn’t include the weight as it isn’t a good measure of anything.
I suggest you want a carp model, Superium Carp or something similar, or if a lower budget Maver Invincible x (£550) has strength and will be stiffer than your power tube.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

If you’re pole is so wonderful, why don’t you just keep it and stop worrying about what other poles are good or bad ???🤷‍♂️

FishingNewbie

It’s been said many times it’s balance not the weight. If all the weight is distributed to the bigger sections it will ‘feel’ lighter than one that weighs the same on the scales but has more weight distributed in the thinner sections. I never look at the weight of a pole and did a detailed video review of my new pole and didn’t include the weight as it isn’t a good measure of anything.
I suggest you want a carp model, Superium Carp or something similar, or if a lower budget Maver Invincible x (£550) has strength and will be stiffer than your power tube.
I completely agree about the balance being important and note that middy quote the Balance ratio, hence my suggestion of a pole comparator table of the relevant missing figures. If you follow the balance logic of the previously mentioned Browning pole, it may have a terrible feeling of heaviness because they've loaded the front end of the pole that would make the balance worse - copy/paste "Browning Xitan Z7-2 Power Special Set 16m, Xitan Advance Z7-2 Power Special Strength and durability in excess - without excess weight! Brownings new Xitan Advance Z7-2 has been purpose designed for anglers who need a stronger-than-normal high performance pole, but are only willing to accept minimal extra weight and loss of stiffness. To achieve this the Z7-2 lower and middle sections, which absorb the most pressure when catching big hard fighting fish, have been specially strengthened and reinforced. However, the larger sections and butts still use very high modulus carbon similar to the other Xitan poles."

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

Slatch

Wish i could afford £1500 for a new pole lol, cmon a lottery win i still have my old Preston Protype 360 never let me down had carp to 20lb and plenty of great match wins and pleasure days, so if i was going for a new pole based on commercials then i would go for the Preston Superium Carp with 8 top kits in total, sadly you have to buy the cupping kit separate at around £54.99-£64.99 the pole itself retails around £1,499 but with all the top kits would be more than enough to cover most situations through margin to shallow fishing etc. Everyone to their own though so best would be to find a tackle shop with a pole alley so you can see and try one out before you buy, Good luck

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Paul...
Talking about missing figures. Do you know of any link that has any data for the SUPERIUM CARP? That's my budget.
Many thanks
There isn’t a lot of data out there, a short YouTube video.it’s in stock at a few places (with details of the package) such as

Preston Superium Carp Pole

Your power tube is a seriously strong pole, not sure there are many as strong now sold and you may need to temper your technique until you’ve fully tested whatever you buy.

Stanley

They used to use the MAP power tube at Drayton reservoir fishing close to the boards on paste ! Very strong pole from back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s ! Let me see if I have time tomorrow and get my X carp on some digital scales. I’m not really sure it’s going to tell you anything as the balance is what is key when you are correctly sitting on a box. I would also recommend you look at the Acolyte Pro Carp as this can be bought at 14.5m package. Not sure you will find a pole like the older MAP poles for the early 2000. I’ve only had my X carp out 5-6 times so still learning how much pressure can be put on the pole when large doubles are running.’

FishingNewbie

FishingNewbie

There isn’t a lot of data out there, a short YouTube video.it’s in stock at a few places (with details of the package) such as

Preston Superium Carp Pole

Your power tube is a seriously strong pole, not sure there are many as strong now sold and you may need to temper your technique until you’ve fully tested whatever you buy.
Cheers - I'm going to get to a pole alley. Seems like that the pole advancements in the last 20 years have improved the weight/balance at the expensive of rigidity.

FishingNewbie

They used to use the MAP power tube at Drayton reservoir fishing close to the boards on paste ! Very strong pole from back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s ! Let me see if I have time tomorrow and get my X carp on some digital scales. I’m not really sure it’s going to tell you anything as the balance is what is key when you are correctly sitting on a box. I would also recommend you look at the Acolyte Pro Carp as this can be bought at 14.5m package. Not sure you will find a pole like the older MAP poles for the early 2000. I’ve only had my X carp out 5-6 times so still learning how much pressure can be put on the pole when large doubles are running.’
Many thanks. Do you remember that people also used the Jurassic Carp pole? It was like a banana, and when you caught a fish it was like a horse shoe. They sold loads on how strong it was but it was like jelly.

I'll look out for the Acolyte. Looks like there's a margin version too. Do you happen to know if they share the same mid to tip sections? That's a pole that's lighter a 13m than mine but as heavy at 16m, implying that the balance may also be good.