What Paste are we now using?

SpeedyJD

Hi Everyone.
After going away from my favoured green swimstim as it went grainy I'm struggling to find a mixture as good as it was before the change.
I've tried BaitTech Special G green and although I have caught on it, it's very sticky and messy once you try and soften it up.
I've messed about with soaking micros and colouring them green, however still not happy.
What is everyone using these days after the decline of Swimstim?
Thank you.
(PS I don't want a debate about Swimstim, I want to know what you are using instead of, thank you).

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Can’t find anything better than Special G. You could try grinding down pellet or use coppens and wet them down they make good paste.

Paul85

Some of the boilie pastes from the likes of sticky and mainline are very good. I've used Manila,cell and grange to very good effect. I was using it over a halibut pellet on a hair though so dont know about it being wrapped straight onto the hook although the cell was quite soft.

SpeedyJD

Thanks for your replies everyone. Might need to look at adding some oil to the Special G then to try and make it less messy and I'll have a look at the one to one paste.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I don't buy paste, I mix my own from pellets put through a coffee grinder (bought from car boot), till they're powder, then use any flavouring I have to hand. At the moment, Bait-Tech Liquid Worm seems to be doing the business on our waters. As is Van Den Eynde Sweet Liquid Molasses.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Been experimenting with paste all this week and finding that Copdock No.1 Mayhem Green is really effective as is Sonu One to One paste in green.

On balance it’s easier to get consistent batches with the Sonu stuff as it comes with a measuring / pole pot in the bag but I’ve caught well on both.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi Everyone.
After going away from my favoured green swimstim as it went grainy I'm struggling to find a mixture as good as it was before the change.
I've tried BaitTech Special G green and although I have caught on it, it's very sticky and messy once you try and soften it up.
I've messed about with soaking micros and colouring them green, however still not happy.
What is everyone using these days after the decline of Swimstim?
Thank you.
(PS I don't want a debate about Swimstim, I want to know what you are using instead of, thank you).
Try mixing the swimstim the day before

Total

Site Supporter
Try mixing the swimstim the day before
^^ That can help....(y).....I know what the OP means about the texture of the Swimstim has changed, it not as finely ground as it used to be and hence the paste doesn't bind so well.....Sifting it doesn't really improve the situation as is counterintuitive cost wise.

Another thing worth doing and certainly helps towards a smother texture paste (if that is what you require) is to make the Swimstim paste a week early, leave in the fridge overnight and then freeze it.....Obviously remove the paste the night before you go and you'll find you'll have a finer/smoother paste that can be wetted down even sloppier should you need to.(y)......This freezing/thawing can be repeated a few times to make the paste even smoother but repeated freezing with paste/session leftovers should be kept to a minimum as fishmeal will deteriorate in warmer weather......

Last edited:

SpeedyJD

^^ That can help....(y).....I know what the OP means about the texture of the Swimstim has changed, it not as finely ground as it used to be and hence the paste doesn't bind so well.....Sifting it doesn't really improve the situation as is counterintuitive cost wise.

Another thing worth doing and certainly helps towards a smother texture paste (if that is what you require) is to make the Swimstim paste a week early, leave in the fridge overnight and then freeze it.....Obviously remove the paste the night before you go and you'll find you'll have a finer/smoother paste that can be wetted down even sloppier should you need to.(y)......This freezing/thawing can be repeated a few times to make the paste even smother but repeated freezing with paste/session leftovers should be kept to a minimum as fishmeal will deteriorate in warmer weather......
Thanks chaps, I'll try this.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

Another thing worth doing and certainly helps towards a smother texture paste (if that is what you require) is to make the Swimstim paste a week early, leave in the fridge overnight and then freeze it.....Obviously remove the paste the night before you go and you'll find you'll have a finer/smoother paste that can be wetted down even sloppier should you need to.(y)......This freezing/thawing can be repeated a few times to make the paste even smother but repeated freezing with paste/session leftovers should be kept to a minimum as fishmeal will deteriorate in warmer weather......
Sieving groundbait, be it swimstim for paste (or any other in the winter for silvers) needn’t result in waste, I save any of the large sievings and they go into summer edge mixes.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Sieving groundbait, be it swimstim for paste (or any other in the winter for silvers) needn’t result in waste, I save any of the large sievings and they go into summer edge mixes.
Ive definitely found with grainier groundbait if mixed the day before or more and left in the fridge its much smoother , i make it like wall paper paste really sloppy and its just right but have found i still need to add water again

JLK

Cold water is rubbish for making up good paste. Use boiling water. And make it up the night before. So much better.