What now on commercials?

Rick123

Site Supporter
So guys, what, and how will you be fishing in the coming weeks now it looks as if summer is coming to an end. Will you fine down a bit tackle wise, line and hooks? Do you have a favourite bait, or will you stay on pellets etc? Does corn get better now. I'd just like some insight please on fishing better in the Autumn months to come. Thanks all.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
now the year is getting on

my big change will be getting the tip rods out and having a few sessions with them on the quest for dog roach

the carpers have had a few this year on this certain pond that go near the magic number, using boilies and heavy hooklengths

had a chat with a few of them and seen what they have taken them on, bait wise and the areas where they seem to haunt

hopefully the quest Ive been on since 1973 will produce the right result this autumn

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
What works for me is not so much a drastic change of baits but refining the size and presentation. One big difference I found from late autumn and winter was that worms were an essential bait change, chopped quite small .

Zerkalo

By the time I start fishing commercials it will probably be November and by then I will be down to 0.14 hooklengths and size 16 hooks with maggot as bait. I go down to as fine 0.12 when the fish are cold have no fight in them. I still feed pellets but prefer micros. I am no commercial expert though and just fish them my own way.

Rick123

Site Supporter
What works for me is not so much a drastic change of baits but refining the size and presentation. One big difference I found from late autumn and winter was that worms were an essential bait change, chopped quite small .

Interesting, I've still a few wrigglers left.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I reckon we're still good for a couple of months yet. Fish are scoffing ready for winter. Wait for the first run of hard frosts and out comes the popped up/dobbed bread.
My thoughts aswell. I’m no expert on commercials but fish will know leaner times are on the way and start feeding up for then. Might need to mess with depths but I’d still feed and fish positively.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah for any type of fishing I don’t fish dramatically different until October at the earliest. Usually plenty of days in September that weather wise are no different to high summer so no need to change much yet.

Zerkalo

One thing is for sure for me, when it does get frosty and icy cold, commercials keep me going over the winter months when I would probably struggle elsewhere. I don’t go with catching the biggest weight in mind, just a comfortable days feeder fishing. At one place I fish I can expect 30 fish for around 50lb. At another I go to I can expect 30 fish for 70lb total. Though I have had several good days with over 100lb caught, decent for the places I fish, all on the maggots over micros way of fishing.

Rick123

Site Supporter
One thing is for sure for me, when it does get frosty and icy cold, commercials keep me going over the winter months when I would probably struggle elsewhere. I don’t go with catching the biggest weight in mind, just a comfortable days feeder fishing. At one place I fish I can expect 30 fish for around 50lb. At another I go to I can expect 30 fish for 70lb total. Though I have had several good days with over 100lb caught, decent for the places I fish, all on the maggots over micros way of fishing.

You're talking carp then yes?

Zerkalo

You're talking carp then yes?

Yeah they're small Carp at the one places I fish average 1-2lb and 2-3lb with the odd double at another. Only the odd F1 at the first place. Though I think every venue will be different and if I fished matches my tactics would be different, for example, fish the pole, but I think micros and maggot would still be at the centre of what I did providing there's not too many nuisance small fish about. Thinking back to when I used to fish F1 venues like Tunnel Barn Farm my tactics would be the same, maggots and micros, but there are far more accomplished anglers on those sorts of waters than me on here.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I may have to get some sections out and fish further than a topkit

Silver fan 82

Hopefully September and October will be relatively mild as these months can be great for fishing.
I tend to use alot more worm and maggot as winter approaches.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I just look forward to the mud pigs slowing down and the silvers getting a look in.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Might give the tip rods a couple outings in September but come October the deadbait rods come out :D

SUFC

Not been on a commercial fishery for over a year (Leicestershire), preferring the canals now. Favourite bait for me pole fishing, is punched bread with liquidised bread as loose feed. Full days fishing for the princely sum of 50p.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Not been on a commercial fishery for over a year (Leicestershire), preferring the canals now. Favourite bait for me pole fishing, is punched bread with liquidised bread as loose feed. Full days fishing for the princely sum of 50p.

Nearly as good a budget as Chris Wilder :)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
now the year is getting on

my big change will be getting the tip rods out and having a few sessions with them on the quest for dog roach

the carpers have had a few this year on this certain pond that go near the magic number, using boilies and heavy hooklengths

had a chat with a few of them and seen what they have taken them on, bait wise and the areas where they seem to haunt

hopefully the quest Ive been on since 1973 will produce the right result this autumn
Good luck mate ?