What mainline though?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah it makes sense to me. When I hook carp when roaching on 3lb line a 6 pounder is no problem at all, a 9 pounder very doable but a 12 pounder gets rather interesting and doesn’t usually end well lol

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
It's about right, but just make sure the drag is set correctly. I've landed 12lb Carp on 6lb line.

My best one this year of just over 13lb came on 4lb line, i was clipped up in open water too o_O luckily swam towards me rather than away :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My 17lb PB came on 4lb to I think a 3lb 6 oz hooklength. Was fishing lighter for roach and perch at the time but a couple good carp cruised into a view so I stepped it up to as much as I thought my rod could take and had 3 comfortable doubles off the top with that being the biggest. Took a while to get them in mind you!

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have never understood the idea of having a rod that has a max breaking strain of line to avoid damage to the rod.
How much force that is placed on the rod is not a function of the BS of the line, but on how much force the angler is applying. When you pull back on a fish, are you really relying on the line to break before the rod does, or do you moderate the force you apply to avoid that happening?
I have regularly used braid line well in excess of recommended BS lines with no problem.
My favourite main line for large fish is Sakuma Crystal sea fishing line. I landed a 100lb Wels cat from a shallow weedy swim on 14lb Sakuma and a 12lb Amnesia hook length to a size 6 with a 16mm boilie when carp fishing.
The only difference I can see between sea fishing line and carp fishing line is the label and the price ;)

squimp

Site Supporter
I have never understood the idea of having a rod that has a max breaking strain of line to avoid damage to the rod.
How much force that is placed on the rod is not a function of the BS of the line, but on how much force the angler is applying. When you pull back on a fish, are you really relying on the line to break before the rod does, or do you moderate the force you apply to avoid that happening?
I have regularly used braid line well in excess of recommended BS lines with no problem.
My favourite main line for large fish is Sakuma Crystal sea fishing line. I landed a 100lb Wels cat from a shallow weedy swim on 14lb Sakuma and a 12lb Amnesia hook length to a size 6 with a 16mm boilie when carp fishing.
The only difference I can see between sea fishing line and carp fishing line is the label and the price ;)

I completely agree with you.

i snapped a Cadence 11ft no 1 rod clean in half recently. I was only using 5lb line and their website says you can use 6lb on that rod.

can I claim a new rod because it broke with less than 6lb line? Of course not, I was being a complete Berk and knowingly pulling miles too hard on the fish ( a carp of 11 or 12lb). A mate was with me at the time and he accused me of playing it like a tarpon ! The outcome was definitely nothing to do with the rod.

I did land the fish and it was quite entertaining playing it with a 6ft ‘float’ Sliding up and down the line.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s just a rough guide isn’t it. If you overload a rod with far too heavy line it’ll blow up eventually. Given the force it takes to break maxima in some breaking strains I certainly wouldn’t go beyond a rods recommended maximum with that!

Sportsman

Site Supporter
It's not the line that is overloading the rod, it's the angler.
If the rod is bending, to the point where it might break, stop pulling ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well yeah but if you’ve got a suitable strengthed line that’s pretty certain to go before the rod it does give a bit more margin for error ??