What mainline though?

I see a lot of time given over to carp rigs and the material they're made from but, there seems to be very little mention of mainline, B/S etc, brand, colour etc. Is this all very secretive or does someone want to spill the beans? 🤔🎣🥃

Breaking strain depends on the size of the carp lol
I get that Silverfisher but, nobody ever discusses it! All carp anglers want to catch a water donkey and all go on about 20lb braid, 25 lb this that and the other but no mention of mainline? It just doesn't help me personally ! 🤣🤣🤣

squimp

Site Supporter
The waters I fish (big fish) have a minimum 15lb mainline rule and braided mainlines are banned.

a pal of mine uses 18lb Korda mainline to good effect. Any decent abrasion resistant line will do, eg Gardner.

for more average sized fish I wouldn’t go below 12 lb. If you want to use fluorocarbon Mainline Stick to 15lb minimum and bear in mind it is expensive.

Silver fan 82

My club rule is a minimum of 15lb breaking strain line, no braided mainline (hoolinks are ok), no leadcore or "shock leaders" and no fixed leads.
Breaking strain depends on what size fish you expect to catch although a good quality line of 20lb bs will land pretty much anything you are LIKELY to catch IMO.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think it is quite common for genuine big carp venues (averaging over 20 with plentiful 30s and 40s) to specify 12 or even 15 pound as a minimum when targeting them. If only there were as many that imposed maximums on smaller carp venues lol

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Our club specifies a minimum of 15lb mainline when targeting Carp, but braid is banned. That's why I mentioned checking the fishery rules.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
Never understood why braided mainline is banned but not hooklinks? If they're worried about damage to fishes mouths it's the hooklink that will do it.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Never understood why braided mainline is banned but not hooklinks? If they're worried about damage to fishes mouths it's the hooklink that will do it.
Around here, it's braid that's banned whether it's main line or hook length.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve always thought the same but then I guess if the hooklink is coated that stops it. Even with braid mainline a long enough leader stops it doing any damage.

Silver fan 82

I know that others have seen fish with mouth damage supposedly done by braid but I've not witnessed it myself.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If it wasn’t coated I’m pretty sure it would do damage, it’s not nice on your hands let alone a fish’s gob.

Silver fan 82

If it wasn’t coated I’m pretty sure it would do damage, it’s not nice on your hands let alone a fish’s gob.
Neither is mono though if it's pulled tight. Cut my hands a few times on a high bs mono when trying to recover rigs from bushes (don't ask).

solwood

Site Supporter
I prefer much lighter lines 8 to 10lb wherever possible

One clubbwater has cats and has 20lb lime limit so I won't fish it simy not prepared to fish that heavy !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A bit of advice I received on line strength once was that you should easily be able to land a fish of twice the breaking strain and should land more than you lose at triple it but quadruple it and you’ll lose more than you catch more often than not. I have found that to be fairly accurate in most forms of fishing.

Total

Site Supporter
A bit of advice I received on line strength once was that you should easily be able to land a fish of twice the breaking strain and should land more than you lose at triple it but quadruple it and you’ll lose more than you catch more often than not. I have found that to be fairly accurate in most forms of fishing.
From a visually impaired person and his dog?:oops::ROFLMAO:

ukzero1

Site Supporter
It's about right, but just make sure the drag is set correctly. I've landed 12lb Carp on 6lb line.