What leads/bombs do you use?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What leads and bombs do you use in your fishing and where do you get them from?

I just picked up some 2 and 3oz textured flat pears from Taylors Lead Lounge for my river work from the Big One show. Going to be trying them with PVA bags on the Severn and a small weirpool near me. I expect Carpers on here will use a lot of bombs in their fishing. For me I use them a lot less than feeders.

Other than that I have a few small Arlesey Bombs about under an ounce that I'd use if I ever tried bomb (maybe with bread as seems to be working at the moment but I'm not sure I have a venue for it) on a commercial but they seem to be more expensive now.

Before I got the ones from Taylors Lead lounge I was going to use Franks Leads which look very similar. Are there any other good companies out there.

I know from searching the archives that some of you make your own, sounds like a lot of effort to me?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Its very occasional that I use bombs, can't really see why you wouldn't just use a feeder in 90% of ledger scenarios, but when I do I tend to use arsley bombs although do like drilled bullets as well. The bullets I mostly use for sea fishing but there are scenarios where they work for coarse fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm the same, have used a feeder all Winter but apparently bomb and bread scores well over Winter at certain places. These bombs I just bought I will be using with PVA bags for the first time. Although saying that, the biggest Bream I have had from my weirpool was when I just chucked out a bomb with double Dendro on the hook as I was waiting for my dad to arrive with some maggots from the tackle shop lol.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yes mate, but buying the moulds is the expensive bit. Once you have those though, making leads costs pennies rather than ££££'s. You also need a supply of lead.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One thing I've never understood is why sea fishing leads are so much cheaper than coarse bombs per oz as surely having a swivel in them can't cost that much.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Those Guru leads are not a bad price at £1.50 each compared to what I thought they might cost before I just googled them!

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I got my last lot off UKZ1, fantastic quality, great value, prompt service(y) and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you are contributing to help the aged:p

ukzero1

Site Supporter
One thing I've never understood is why sea fishing leads are so much cheaper than coarse bombs per oz as surely having a swivel in them can't cost that much.

Mine don't even have swivels, they're inline.

I used to go round looking for sea leads when I went to the coast. Any found were put in a bucket and melted down for Carp leads.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah clever bit of scrounging there ukzero haha

Lugging around a bucket of sea leads to a boat has got to be one of the worst things in fishing lol. Mine are now in a proper over the shoulder box, not quite so painful!

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Ah clever bit of scrounging there ukzero haha

Lugging around a bucket of sea leads to a boat has got to be one of the worst things in fishing lol. Mine are now in a proper over the shoulder box, not quite so painful!

Leads to a boat?..nah, not for me. I used to get them from between the rocks etc. then take them home when the holiday was over.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I know mate. It was the reference to Help the Aged that made me chuckle. :LOL: Besides, I'm not old..I'm a recycled teenager. :giggle:
So now you can stop with the "I'm just a poor pensioner" moans then:p:p:p