What is your most stupid match.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
March 2017... first outing of the season to Fennes... struggled all day had a few bits in the net for about 6lb... 10 mins before the end with nothing on top 2 plus 2 on maggot (a usual banker) I decided to lob a bomb out with corn

Tip whips round and long story short, in comes a 16lb common, win the match with 22lb and odd oz and beats second who had a crackin bag of small roach by an ounce... lots of name calling, ( and I didn't sue the club or the name callers)but the brown envelope was mine...
Muuuuaaaahahahahahahahaaaaaa....😛🤣🤣🤣

smiffy

Site Supporter
March 2017... first outing of the season to Fennes... struggled all day had a few bits in the net for about 6lb... 10 mins before the end with nothing on top 2 plus 2 on maggot (a usual banker) I decided to lob a bomb out with corn

Tip whips round and long story short, in comes a 16lb common, win the match with 22lb and odd oz and beats second who had a crackin bag of small roach by an ounce... lots of name calling, ( and I didn't sue the club or the name callers)but the brown envelope was mine...
Mate of mine fished a match on Fennes several years ago. On the all in he was potting feed into various likely places . Lad next door chucked a method feeder out and landed a 24lb Carp before my mate had even finished feeding his lines😂. He fished on. Me? I’d have packed my gear away and stormed off to the burger van😂

Total

Site Supporter

^^Court case starts on Monday!;)....With last minute fish like that winning you the match we'll have to change your name to Mr Morton...:oops:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
My most stupid match was on the Great Ouse on the Pymoor stretch.

I had been down a couple of times with Syd Meads and Bryan Lakey, catching big roach on tares - up to 20 lb a time. Syd reckoned I was now addicted to tares - and he was right. In the next Pymoor Open I took nothing but tares, and the weather was awful - a gale was blowing and the presentation you need for these big roach was impossible (this was before poles were in use). I caught two roach for 2 lb 9 oz for way down, but if I had had maggots I am sure I would have had a lot more.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
My most recent was yesterday, Port Talbot dock(where else) Started on my long line at 30 turns and into roach first cast, stayed on it for about 20 mins. Primed my short line at 19 turns and went straight onto a 4m whip....diddly. Onto my short line and into roach straight away and stayed on it till the end...mistake. When things went quietish l should have had a look on the 30 line. Thing is the 19 line produced all match, the rate at which l caught slowed towards the end......... would the 30m line have had a faster catch rate? Beaten to 2nd by 5oz😒

stikflote

Site Supporter
This fishing lark is getting beyond me ,all i want is a fish to grab my hook
i would be totally lost counting turns.

So i have just ordered the latest Reel from jolly Roger, buy one get one free with
turn counter built in ,plus spirit level to make sure its level on rod and automatic line loader

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always felt it stupid in Junior Nationals on various canals, we would ball it in with groundbait as though we were fishing an international match. Starlets never did very well as a team but every team seemed to feed the same. 🤷‍♂️

Total

Site Supporter
.......So i have just ordered the latest Reel from jolly Roger, buy one get one free with
turn counter built in ,plus spirit level to make sure its level on rod and automatic line loader
^^:LOL:.....When you get a minute please Keith, any chance you could send me the link where you bought the above reels?:oops::ROFLMAO:.....Searching for "Jolly Roger".......I'd better not say......:oops:

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
My most recent was yesterday, Port Talbot dock(where else) Started on my long line at 30 turns and into roach first cast, stayed on it for about 20 mins. Primed my short line at 19 turns and went straight onto a 4m whip....diddly. Onto my short line and into roach straight away and stayed on it till the end...mistake. When things went quietish l should have had a look on the 30 line. Thing is the 19 line produced all match, the rate at which l caught slowed towards the end......... would the 30m line have had a faster catch rate? Beaten to 2nd by 5oz😒
Mick, when I first read that, (due to my terrific eyesight), I read that you had started on your far 20 metre line and then come in later to your short 19 metre line. ( I thought that I'll have to try that)! LÖL

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
My worst match was a self inflicted injury, (so to speak). It was in the seventies on the river Weser in Germany, (BAOR Championships). I had not checked my river kit for a while. I started on the stick float and it took an hour for me to get them feeding. Unfortunately my 2.6 Bayer Perlon line was old and kept snapping with a fish on :-( I had to retackle up so many times. (I didn't have any other line with me. The seeven P's ring a bell)! End result I won my section of 40 and come 4th overall from 200. I cursed myself all of the way home and because my wife loves me, she cursed me as well when I told her what had happened! Experience comes at a price-Now where's those 7 P's!

alsur

Site Supporter
I fished wrong peg once after a long walk I fished what I thought was my peg I started catching well after an hour I realised on was on wrong peg, chucked back what I had and moved to right peg, weighed in not much more than I chucked back.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
For me it was a club series match, March (2009 I think) on one of our stretches of the Mon-Brecon canal - 12 showed up at the draw, canal was frozen, 5 decided to fish it including me as we all desperately wanted the points. We did 20 matches in the 12month series and you kept your 10 highest points finishes.

Had to break the ice and fished a whip with bloodworm/joker on a 24 hook - won the match with 11ozs of tiny scraps and found at the end I’d drawn the golden peg which had rolled over to £160.

There were near riots when some of the other lads who’d gone home found out but I reckon I earned every penny that day.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Maybe not the most stupid match but, definitely the most gutting. I drew peg 21 on Newark dyke in a team of four winter league match. This peg should be filled in with quick drying cement. The dyke on this peg flows from right to left. You’ve a tree to your right and 6m to your left you’ve another tree. So you only have 6m of river to fish. Your peg is set approximately 2m back from the river and a foot out it’s 2.5’ deep. To makes matters worse there’s a pleasure peg directly opposite you so, the feeder is pretty much ruled out. I drew it and nearly cried. I ended up lowering my platform into the water, bulking a 8 number 4 stick and bait droppering my bait in some 4m down stream. I ended the match with 1lb 4oz. I felt gutted. Folk like Don Slaymaker and Terry Moraz were actually saying …. Well done. That’s a #### peg is that. I’ll always remember that match. 😩

Total

Site Supporter
Maybe not the most stupid match but, definitely the most gutting. I drew peg 21 on Newark dyke in a team of four winter league match. This peg should be filled in with quick drying cement. The dyke on this peg flows from right to left. You’ve a tree to your right and 6m to your left you’ve another tree. So you only have 6m of river to fish. Your peg is set approximately 2m back from the river and a foot out it’s 2.5’ deep. To makes matters worse there’s a pleasure peg directly opposite you so, the feeder is pretty much ruled out. I drew it and nearly cried. I ended up lowering my platform into the water, bulking a 8 number 4 stick and bait droppering my bait in some 4m down stream. I ended the match with 1lb 4oz. I felt gutted. Folk like Don Slaymaker and Terry Moraz were actually saying …. Well done. That’s a #### peg is that. I’ll always remember that match. 😩
You got to wonder why match organisers put pegs in matches like this.:(....They seriously need to give their heads a wobble....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You got to wonder why match organisers put pegs in matches like this.:(....They seriously need to give their heads a wobble....

Agree completely Mark. Listening to the comments while I packed my gear away I’m surprised I caught at all. Only three pegs away down the dyke is the famous bridge peg. 20lb of roach guaranteed ….. and that’s in the same section ffs. Like I say pal … I could have cried. 😩