What is the best way to use a method feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Hi all,
I've been looking around for the best way to use a method feeder. I understand that the normal way is to tie the hook length to the elastic but i have also been told that that way could cause problems and the correct way would be to have the line pass through the top swivel as a running rig, surely this defeats the object?

Any help appreciated, Tony

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Tony,and welcome to the forum.
A bit of a hot potatoe this one,by the sound of it the feeder that you describe is an EMMAT one.The problem with this type of feeder is that should the mainline break above the feeder,then the fish may suffer should the feeder become snagged and it cannot shed the hook,resulting in the death of the fish.
Nowdays i prefer to fish the Method using Fox or Nisa inline feeders.These are rigged up so that they are free running,hooklength/swivel/feeder/mainline, in the event of the line snapping above the feeder it is not retained.I should add that for my own fishing i only use barbless hooks.
If you want to increase the bolt effect a couple of Gardener float stops positioned above the feeder will have the desired effect,but will not retain the feeder should the line break.
These are only my own thoughts on the subject,and i would welcome anyone elses thoughts on the matter,asi am sure would Tony.
Cheers,
Peter.

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

ada

brummie
quote:
Hi all,
I've been looking around for the best way to use a method feeder. I understand that the normal way is to tie the hook length to the elastic but i have also been told that that way could cause problems and the correct way would be to have the line pass through the top swivel as a running rig, surely this defeats the object?

Any help appreciated, Tony

ada

brummie
as the winter sets in the fox inline method feeders work best with a low food content groundbait mix like the sensas black. in the summer use Omar patels kobra feeders which really fly on the cast but are not too large.Omars feeders are very popular in the midlands and he has won countless matches at mallory and packington sommers using them.If you use 6 pound maxima mainline with 4 pound maxima shock leader,preston 4.8pound hook length you wont crack off. use a bait runner reel if possible if not invest in a boss slip and slide rest they are well worth a tenner.In the summer use any of the purpose made grounbaits but a good tip is to add frenzied hemp it brings the method to life but a common mistake people make is to leave the feeder in too long,give it 5 mins then recast it,alternate baits reguarly, top baits,corn, meat,pellets,dead maggots ,peperamiand paste.Always hair rig the hook bait so if the fish blows out the bait it will hook itself.Keep experimenting between leaving the hook in the ball or leaving it out,If the qiver tip is bouncing leave it this is just the carp nudging the ball a bite is when the rod goes off the rest!! dont strike just pick the rod up. good luck ADA

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

As Peter and Ada have virtually said it all, there's not a lot more to add. The EMMAT type of feeder was one of the original designs and uses the elastic to 'absorb' the initial tug but as Peter said should the mainline break, the fish is left towing it around until it eventually snags. This then leaves the fish to either break the hooklength or die.

Fox make a Carp In-line feeder which is claimed to be the first totally safe in-line feeder. A large bore tube passes through the feeder cage, through this pass your main line, attach a barrel swivel and fasten a short hooklength slightly less BS than the main line. Pull the swivel back into the rubber sleeve at the end of the tube which effectively makes it into a semi fixed rig but with the advantage that should you break off, the swivel and line will pull free.

Give it a try, and hold on!

Dave

Tony

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I posted the question on another forum and only got one reply about using it as a running rig. I'll get a Fox feeder and give it a try :)

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.