What is that actually for?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Rule 1.

Every angler must have balanced coarse tackle and terminal tackle, & use it correctly.

An unhooking mat, landing net (kite marked) Klin-ik antiseptic & disgorger at all times

NO Feeder or Ledger rod to be used as a float rod, no spinning rod, beach rod, boat rod etc.
The kite marked landing net bit makes me wonder how well enforced these rules might actually be. I don't recall ever seeing a landing net that had a kite mark. I've not even seen one that bore the relatively short lived "fishery approved" label in at least a decade.

The Klin Ik rule is also unusual outside of specimen carp fisheries. It's also unusual in that it's specifying a branded (Kryston) product. I wonder how many anglers on Angel actually have some? I'd also be intrigued to know whether those that do have some have ever bothered to use it.

Jonny w

The kite marked landing net bit makes me wonder how well enforced these rules might actually be. I don't recall ever seeing a landing net that had a kite mark. I've not even seen one that bore the relatively short lived "fishery approved" label in at least a decade.

The Klin Ik rule is also unusual outside of specimen carp fisheries. It's also unusual in that it's specifying a branded (Kryston) product. I wonder how many anglers on Angel actually have some? I'd also be intrigued to know whether those that do have some have ever bothered to use it.
The rules are defo enforced m8, id say Ann is semi-strict but very fair if your competent, Ann is all about the well being of the fish, the thing I love about the angel is you’d never see kids/youngters messing around launching stones into the ponds etc..,as Ann wouldn’t stand for it, I’ve actually stopped fishing a few local venues because of this, my landing net definitely doesn’t have a kite although it is a good one, I think as long as it’s a decent dedicated coarse fishing net you would be fine, I do have some kiln ik in my seat box but very rarely use it to be fair, only when I clearly see the fishes mouth is damaged I’d put a bit on, but in all honesty I forgot it was there until you just mentioned it.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Remember last year on Bowes a lad had a keep net in on peg around 34. Just a young lad so I told him to empty it out or he get chucked off. He had about 20 carp in it.
Ask @Mr Bite if she a stickler for rules 🤣

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Remember last year on Bowes a lad had a keep net in on peg around 34. Just a young lad so I told him to empty it out or he get chucked off. He had about 20 carp in it.
Ask @Mr Bite if she a stickler for rules 🤣
I've certainly heard that, but it still doesn't tie in with the nets with kite marks rule. I've never, ever, seen a net with a kite mark. Where are people getting the kite marked nets from to comply with this rule?

Jonny w

I've certainly heard that, but it still doesn't tie in with the nets with kite marks rule. I've never, ever, seen a net with a kite mark. Where are people getting the kite marked nets from to comply with this rule?
ive also never owed or seen one with the kite mark on to be fair, Ive just got a bog standard red and black Daiwa tournament head, definitely no kite on it I’ve just looked.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Net I used in Saturday has a kite mark. Just a dinsmore one. Nowt special 7037349B-33FA-439E-826A-56780C9BBDEB.jpeg

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Net I used in Saturday has a kite mark. Just a dinsmore one. Nowt special 7037349B-33FA-439E-826A-56780C9BBDEB.jpeg
That's interesting, I've certainly not seen that before. However, I suspect that "kitemark" being a trademarked word might have been a problem for them. It may also have been something unique to Dinsmores. In the last ten years, I've bought numerous nets including Drennan, Daiwa, Greys and Shimano, not one has got a "kitemark". I've just checked, my ancient Daiwa keepnet has a "Carp Fishery Approved" logo tab on it.

The kitemark logo (nothing like the Dinsmores one) and the word kitemark are registered trademarks of the British Standards Institution.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Sounds to me that they could do with getting around the fishery throughout the day. Even then, should someone just get the off? Beginner/newbie is unlikely to know what 'balanced tackle' means, on the ticket or not. Education before alienation for me.

As for no bait boats, is there a rule that says they aren't allowed? Again, may be obvious to us and perhaps never seen as needing putting on the rules, but.......as above.

Last edited:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
And.....reading the rules, didn't the person issuing the day ticket ask if the angler had been with an 'angel lakes angling coach' before taking their money? Or is it the expectation that the angler hands over their cash, gets their ticket, reads it carefully, then has to say, 'oh, i haven't been coached by one of your coaches, i will just have my money back then please and go somewhere else'.

The coaching thing is a good idea and fits my thoughts on education, everyone benefits then; the fish and their owner, the angler and other anglers, but i have little time anywhere personally if we have a situation of no presence out on the bank and when it is, it's just to square someone up, sometimes unfairly too.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Looked at next 2 nets in my box.
both got a kite mark or similar on.
shakespeare and dinsmore 09EE9ECE-C74E-43E3-AEEC-1D634292191A.jpeg

bluemack

Site Supporter
Got to be honest i care about the welfare as much as anyone else BUT the rules seem to be a little silly to me
not that i,ll ever fish there,so certainly will never affect me personally.
This is one of the reasons i VERY rarely fish this type of water.:poop:

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
There was never a kite mark as such it was simply a fisheries approved tag to suggest it was in some way approved , you rarely see them now as they carried no standing unless your particular fishery required one.
The only nets banned in England are the old knotted type from years ago.